Chan hopes to add more quad jumps to his repertoire | Golden Skate

Chan hopes to add more quad jumps to his repertoire

Thanks for linking to these!

They're both interesting, with lots of quotes from Patrick, and the second one also has a considerable stretch about Virtue and Moir. So fans of V/M, take note.

I'm always impressed when Patrick talks about his skating. You can see how much thinking and planning he puts into it. This is a guy who clearly sees skating as his job, his career, maybe his calling, and he takes it on with both body and mind. You know when you watch him that he's giving 100%, and moreover, that he loves being there. Add that to his talent and his coolness under pressure, and he's clearly born to be a skater!

I love Lori Nichol, but I'm glad Patrick is working with other choreographers. It's a risk, of course, but it's a good risk, one that proves his maturity and shows that he has the spirit of an explorer. It's going to be fun to watch him this season!

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Thank you so much, gsk8!

"The two quads are great, but I can't do them with my eyes closed yet, let's say," he said. "I'm just pushing the boundaries for fun and to keep it fresh."

Two new quads, flip and salchow, in practice? Is he a superman?!:biggrin: Too much info to digest at once. Will he make his dance coach Kathy Johnson famous at the end of this coming season? He sounded really confident.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I think he will keep his skate at 2 quads. One quad toe and one quad flip or salchow. It would be interesting if he did quad toe, quad toe/combo , quad flip and quad salchow but I don't think that will be it! Probably just two different ones. He still has to keep the energy for other things! Risk is so much more possible now. From 2007 to 2010 when quads were vanishing as an elment winners did you no longer risk no points with a fall on an underrotated quad toe. Or 1 or two points on a landed underrotated quad toe. It is just more worth the risk and worth more if you land because not only are quads worth more and less of a risk but there are less value for step sequences. For the previous version of COP jumps were just worth less overall in the whole picture of skating.

Good Luck to Chan!

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I think he will keep his skate at 2 quads. One quad toe and one quad flip or salchow. It would be interesting if he did quad toe, quad toe/combo , quad flip and quad salchow but I don't think that will be it! Probably just two different ones. He still has to keep the energy for other things! Risk is so much more possible now. From 2007 to 2010 when quads were vanishing as an elment winners did you no longer risk no points with a fall on an underrotated quad toe. Or 1 or two points on a landed underrotated quad toe. It is just more worth the risk and worth more if you land because not only are quads worth more and less of a risk but there are less value for step sequences. For the previous version of COP jumps were just worth less overall in the whole picture of skating.

Good Luck to Chan!

Or three-quad LP with one 4T, one 4T combo, and one 4F or 4S. It's so exciting! Wish Patrick a good luck!

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He isn't afraid to try new quads even if he falls on them because he knows he will win anyway, even with 2-3 falls. :p

SGrand

Final Flight
Thanks for linking to these!

They're both interesting, with lots of quotes from Patrick, and the second one also has a considerable stretch about Virtue and Moir. So fans of V/M, take note.

I'm always impressed when Patrick talks about his skating. You can see how much thinking and planning he puts into it. This is a guy who clearly sees skating as his job, his career, maybe his calling, and he takes it on with both body and mind. You know when you watch him that he's giving 100%, and moreover, that he loves being there. Add that to his talent and his coolness under pressure, and he's clearly born to be a skater!

I love Lori Nichol, but I'm glad Patrick is working with other choreographers. It's a risk, of course, but it's a good risk, one that proves his maturity and shows that he has the spirit of an explorer. It's going to be fun to watch him this season!

So well said! :clap:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker

Good Luck to Chan!

Maybe he'll go for two quads in the short, especially if he gets the quad flip.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Or three-quad LP with one 4T, one 4T combo, and one 4F or 4S. It's so exciting! Wish Patrick a good luck!

That's also possible. Just skipped over it!

Maybe he'll go for two quads in the short, especially if he gets the quad flip.

By the way Chan talks or is quoted he seems to talk only of the free. You think if that is done he will do a 2A with a 4/3 and quad Flip or salchow?

Has anyone ever skated a two-quad SP? Reynold?

Reynolds did it at Skate Canada.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
That's also possible. Just skipped over it!

By the way Chan talks or is quoted he seems to talk only of the free. You think if that is done he will do a 2A with a 4/3 and quad Flip or salchow?

No, I think he'd basically do what he did for Aranuez: 4t3t, 4F, 3A (in some order). His goal is to gain an extra edge over his competitors, imo.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I make it a policy not to get too excited about practice jumps, whether it's quad throws, ladies with 3As, or people adding to their quad repertoire (has Johnny Weir even landed his quad combo during a program?). Once these are landed or at least attempted in competition, then it's worth discussing.

Has anyone ever skated a two-quad SP? Reynold?
Joubert at the Challenge Cup last season, though the landings on both weren't great IIRC, and of course he's also the last one to do three clean quads in an LP (including one after the halfway point). I believe he has a practice 4F, too, though as I wrote - it only matters if it's done when it counts.

Fernandez should try two quads in the SP, he could use the extra points, and his 4S is really good and doesn't seem to require much setup. This is actually a problem with the guys who do the quad as their solo jump in the SP; a lot of them aren't doing steps into it, opting for a normal setup - but the judges turn a blind eye and give them +GOEs anyway. That's not how the solo jump is supposed to work.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
P-Chiddy said similar things about new quads beginning of last season too :p

The difference is this:

He’ll do the flips and Salchows in practices on the Grand Prix circuit — a big step because judges and other skaters are watching every single move during those sessions, and you need to be confident and prepared with any new element

He got to use them sometimes. I hope he could use them this season. We'll see.

I'm very curious how it'll turn out for him with a dance coach as a main coach. I still have a big doubt on it but it seems that he's satisfied with his daily practice result.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I make it a policy not to get too excited about practice jumps, whether it's quad throws, ladies with 3As, or people adding to their quad repertoire (has Johnny Weir even landed his quad combo during a program?). Once these are landed or at least attempted in competition, then it's worth discussing.

Fernandez should try two quads in the SP, he could use the extra points, and his 4S is really good and doesn't seem to require much setup. This is actually a problem with the guys who do the quad as their solo jump in the SP; a lot of them aren't doing steps into it, opting for a normal setup - but the judges turn a blind eye and give them +GOEs anyway. That's not how the solo jump is supposed to work.

True. For me the interesting bit (and what's worth discussing) is how explicit he is in setting out a plan. Also, the implied politicking behind is statement fascinates me.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker

Johnny Weir has never landed any clean 4T at competitions. And he has never even tried quad combo at competitions either. Yeah, his case seems a famous example of the difference between practice and competition. That was sad because Johnny had landed countless beautiful quads at the practices for years before he put it into real competition at 2006 Worlds under the pressure of medias and fans. And he did try them at competition practices many times. And he always said, "If the practice goes well, I will..." I'm kind of afraid of this line of talking now.

"It was a good change after five years of working with Lori. We left on mutual terms, she's always there to help me," Chan said. "But I wanted to do this, and I thought this was the right time going into Sochi. I wanted to know that I could work with other choreographers, that it doesn't have to be one singular recipe."

Good for Patrick!:thumbsup: But I wish he could go back to Lori Nichol next year.

ETA:

http://www.mississauga.com/sports/a...he-road-to-sochi-starts-at-the-hershey-centre

Coach Kathy Johnson says Chan’s new jumps will add a Salchow and flip to the current toe quad that has helped him spin his two world titles.
“One of those, maybe both, will appear in his programs, maybe later this season, but definitely for next season,” said Johnson, who took over sole coaching duties after the amicable departure of former coach Christy Krall this year.

Also a video clip: Patrick Chan happy with coaching changes

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...n-happy-with-coaching-changes/article4525358/

Last edited:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I am excited by this Patrick san Lori and san his old coach. Someone who is clearly ambitious and focused on pre-empt his Olympic campaign by not taking things easy, and anything he does from this year he can take COMPLETE ownership with the new personal challenges he set for himself.

This is a sport after all, whoever does not play safe deserve all the accolades regardless of their eventual podium success. And there's something about the Olympics and the Olympic spirit I just love. It is like witnessing a very long mental Marathon with the amount of physical training, health wellbeing and mind focus that need to go into it, where they experiences various forms of peaks and troves and mental obstacles one need to overcome in an epic race.

Patrick made great progress in improving his artistry last season. If he continue, he could become one of the greatest ever. The judging is another issue but what he does and his skills are remarkable. I do think his choice of music this year is rather Lori-esque, but then if that is the type of skater he is, why fight it? Just celebrate it!

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I do think his choice of music this year is rather Lori-esque, but then if that is the type of skater he is, why fight it? Just celebrate it!

His Rachmaninoff SP Lori-esque?!:confused: I think it's going to be widely loved and he'll gain more fans from it.:biggrin: