Christina Gao is the REAL deal! | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Christina Gao is the REAL deal!

cornell08

Final Flight
Christina's technique and overall skating quality is much better than Caroline and Rachael's at 15 and perhaps even now.

pupitre

Match Penalty
Murakami has been coached by Machiko Yamada, Asada's former coach who influenced Asada's early development. Murakami very much reminds me of Asada in her junior years. If Gao and Murakami develop well into the senior circuit and maintain their top competitive form, we might be able to witness a round two of Kim vs. Asada styles through these girls in the future.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Murakami has been coached by Machiko Yamada, Asada's former coach who influenced Asada's early development. Murakami very much reminds me of Asada in her junior years. If Gao and Murakami develop well into the senior circuit and maintain their top competitive form, we might be able to witness a round two of Kim vs. Asada styles through these girls in the future.

Hopefully Murakami hasn't peaked at 15 like it seems Mao did.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I wouldn't assume that yet.

I'm not saying that Mao still isn't good, but she beat Sasha, Irina, and Shizuka as a 15 year old before they went on to medal at the Olympics. Her 3a then was super solid, where as now it's all over the place. I still wouldn't be surprised if she got it together for the olympics and/or worlds and medals though. In 2006 she had a rough grand prix season then went on to deliver that great FS at 2007 worlds

LeCygne

Final Flight
Murakami reminds me more of Yukari, sans leg wrap.

Except I noticed that she bends her free leg a lot on her jump take-offs. Like the picking leg in her toe jumps especially. Can't tell if this will have implications down the road, but it is a noticeable technical imperfection at this point.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Except I noticed that she bends her free leg a lot on her jump take-offs. Like the picking leg in her toe jumps especially. Can't tell if this will have implications down the road, but it is a noticeable technical imperfection at this point.

Hmm hopefully it won't turn into a problem. She might not grow a lot more though because I read somewhere she is already 5'4" which is the same height as most of her older Japanese teammates

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker

Oh yeah. She also bends this free leg before she does the salchow. Not sure if this will become a problem for her down the road (if I had to lay a bet down now, I'd say, yes it will)....but at any rate, it's ugly and needs to be fixed pronto if it can be. Murakami needs some spinning help also. I think her sense of music and artistry is coming along nicely for a 15-year old, and from the videos it looks like she has good speed.

I'd say Gao right now has generally better jumping technique although she's not as strong or high or "wow". Gao's techique flaws appear to be of the readily-fixable kind. She also needs to eat her Wheaties and hit the gym--she looks so fragile! Should be an interesting next few years watching these two...

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I'd say Gao right now has generally better jumping technique although she's not as strong or high or "wow". Gao's techique flaws appear to be of the readily-fixable kind. She also needs to eat her Wheaties and hit the gym--she looks so fragile! Should be an interesting next few years watching these two...

People used to compare Yuna and Mao in the same way....Plus Yuna used to look as skinnny and gangly as Christina and she's now one of the most powerful lady jumpers out there. Christina is probably pretty strong for her size considering how slight a lot of top figure skaters are today

pupitre

Match Penalty
Both Gao and Murakami might need to improve their Lutz technique. Gao frequently gets "!" and Mruakami gets "e", both of which are subject to GOE deductions.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Was wondering - will Christina be competing at senior Natls next month?

What if she competed and came in 1st or 2nd ......

Is she old enough to qualify for the Olympic team?

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Was wondering - will Christina be competing at senior Natls next month?
Yes, at 15 she is the youngest one in the Senior ladies field at 2010 Nationals and meets the minimum age requirement for Olympics/Worlds (15 by July 1, 2009).

I think one of the biggest improvements Gao has made this season is her jump consistency in competition. She was one of the favorites for the Novice title back in 2008 (she just edged out Marissa Secundy at Midwestern Sectionals in November 2007) but had a rough Nationals and finished last (12th) to Secundy's 1st. At Mids that year Gao landed 4 different triples (lutz, flip, salchow and toe) and fell on her final 3T. Even if she lands all or most of her planned jumps at 2010 Nationals, her PCS scores will likely hold her back a bit compared to the more experienced ladies competing as seniors internationally. I look forward to watching her progress and develop further!

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Yes, at 15 she is the youngest one in the Senior ladies field at 2010 Nationals and meets the minimum age requirement for Olympics/Worlds (15 by July 1, 2009).

I think one of the biggest improvements Gao has made this season is her jump consistency in competition. She was one of the favorites for the Novice title back in 2008 (she just edged out Marissa Secundy at Midwestern Sectionals in November 2007) but had a rough Nationals and finished last (12th) to Secundy's 1st. At Mids that year Gao landed 4 different triples (lutz, flip, salchow and toe) and fell on her final 3T. Even if she lands all or most of her planned jumps at 2010 Nationals, her PCS scores will likely hold her back a bit compared to the more experienced ladies competing as seniors internationally. I look forward to watching her progress and develop further!

Christina turned 15 in November so she is NOT age-ellible for the olympics

janetfan

Match Penalty

Thanks Sylvia. I don't think Christina is ready to challenge for a podium at Natls - but you never know in an Olympic year. :)

cornell08

Final Flight
If Christina skates as well or even better than how she skated at the JGPF I see no reason why she would not make the podium. If the other ladies don't skate clean, think of how enticing it would be to have her be the champion-- USFSA would then be able to legitimately choose both ladies to send to the Olympics based on grand prix and Nationals performance without miffing anyone.

janetfan

Match Penalty
If Christina skates as well or even better than how she skated at the JGPF I see no reason why she would not make the podium. If the other ladies don't skate clean, think of how enticing it would be to have her be the champion-- USFSA would then be able to legitimately choose both ladies to send to the Olympics based on grand prix and Nationals performance without miffing anyone.

It might miff alot of fans if the 3rd place finisher at the Jr GPF won Natls :eek:

I think if Christina wins the SP the marking in the LP would be very interesting.

I like Christina but I can't compare her skating to Alissa, Mirai, Rachael or Ashley yet. I would not be surprised if Christina finishes ahead of Caroline, Alexe, Bebe, Emily and the others though.

Last edited: