Christina Gao is the REAL deal! | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Christina Gao is the REAL deal!

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I believe she's currently training in Canada (Toronto)

Yeah that was a typo, she's definitely in Toronto not Japan. She trains at the same rink as Yuna, what a good role model for her! Plus she looks a lot like Yuna did at 15 - really long, skinny arms and legs and her jump and spin technique reminds me a lot of Yuna. Hopefully this will bring good things in the future!

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
I would assume so, he is her coach after all and Yuna is not competing at any competitions that same week (that I know of). That's cool how she moved to Japan but still represents the US, it seems like in other countries a lot of ladies train outside their home countries but in the US you rarely see it. I read some article saying her parents were immigrants from China, I wonder if this means she has dual citizenship. If so, it could be a smart move to change to represent China if the US choses not to reward her talent with a good placement, as she would be the best ladies skater in China (I only know of Yan Liu who doesn't do too well internationally) and could get to go to Worlds and grand prix events every year.

China does allow overseas-born skaters of Chinese parentage to participate in national competitions and sometimes international ones. Of course, the Olympics are out of the question without Chinese citizenship per IOC rules, and taking on Chinese citizenship means giving up other citizenships the skater may hold (Chinese don't recognize dual citizenship). Skaters who have not reached age 18 but who were born outside China to Chinese parents may be able to get registration papers and ID's, etc. that can facilitate this process. However, at age 18, the skater becomes an adult (Chinese regulation) and has to get his own official ID as an individual. Which presumably can't be done without citizenship. I'm not sure there are any non-Chinese citizen skaters who skate for China and are at or over age 18. But I'd be interested if somebody knows of any.

Giving up one's US citizenship and taking on Chinese citizenship (if possible) has practical implications that go far beyond the limits of a competitive skating career, and I suspect it's not an avenue that Christina's parents would support. But why rock the boat? Christina currently seems to be going in the right direction, and in her senior level USA nationals debut, I expect her to place in the top 10, possibly as high as #5-6. Coupled with her JGP series results, this makes for a pretty nice season, which likely would be capped off with a Jr Worlds assignment.

Last edited:
N

n_halifax

I think Christina would make a great representative of the U.S. at Junior Worlds (most definitely!)

silverlake22

Record Breaker
China does allow overseas-born skaters of Chinese parentage to participate in national competitions and sometimes international ones. Of course, the Olympics are out of the question without Chinese citizenship per IOC rules, and taking on Chinese citizenship means giving up other citizenships the skater may hold (Chinese don't recognize dual citizenship). Skaters who have not reached age 18 but who were born outside China to Chinese parents may be able to get registration papers and ID's, etc. that can facilitate this process. However, at age 18, the skater becomes an adult (Chinese regulation) and has to get his own official ID as an individual. Which presumably can't be done without citizenship. I'm not sure there are any non-Chinese citizen skaters who skate for China and are at or over age 18. But I'd be interested if somebody knows of any.

Giving up one's US citizenship and taking on Chinese citizenship (if possible) has practical implications that go far beyond the limits of a competitive skating career, and I suspect it's not an avenue that Christina's parents would support. But why rock the boat? Christina currently seems to be going in the right direction, and in her senior level USA nationals debut, I expect her to place in the top 10, possibly as high as #5-6. Coupled with her JGP series results, this makes for a pretty nice season, which likely would be capped off with a Jr Worlds assignment.

Wow, I did not know the process was so complex. I know Ksenia Makarova used to skate for the USA and switched to represent Russia, she is only 16 now, and just won Russian nationals! I guess maybe she was born in Russia though making it possible.

I bet Christina will do great if she performs like she's been doing, it's just that at nationals it sometimes seems the scores are skewed.

cornell08

Final Flight
Its Official: Brian Orser will be at US Nationals

http://sports.inquirer.net/breaking...h-Koreas-Kim-gearing-up-for-Olympic-challenge

I wasn't sure if he would be staying put to give Yuna his undivided attention, but this is welcome news! Christina and Adam could definitely use Brian's currently unmatched starpower as coach, especially given their lack of seniority. Now, I really hope Yuna wins the OGM, so Brian will be able to put all his energy into his two younger proteges. Might we see a US Nationals Battle of the Brians [coaching edition] in the future? :biggrin: