Medalist
Country
Canada

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would actually love to see a pair capable of doing it. Can they judge synchronicity on spins in that case? What about throws?

Rudy did everything in Kristi's direction except the individual jumps, including the lifts and DS. Throws, of course, Kristi's direction.

The judges did give them high marks for their beautiful synchronicity on spins and jumps. I've still never seen a mirror pair accomplish this as well. A tidbit: I read that Tamara Moskvina advised her pairs in 1989 that Kristi and Rudy were going to be some of their main competitors. However, Kristi ended the partnership in 1990 in order to focus on singles and then won 1992 Olympics.

Here's the link I put in this thread's post #19 in answer to you. A commentator said they'd improved in speed since 1989.
In case anyone is interested, Kristi & Rudy in 1990: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_ml-B0F3c0

mrrice

Record Breaker
:ot: This might be a bit off topic however, I'm going to ask anyway. Are Kristi and Rudy the only pair team to have titles as a pair and as singles skaters?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
:ot: This might be a bit off topic however, I'm going to ask anyway. Are Kristi and Rudy the only pair team to have titles as a pair and as singles skaters?
there have been recent threads about this @mrrice : I remember this topic coming up when Daisuke Takahashi was competing to earn a spot for team Japan... earning a team event medal in two disciplines would have been quite special !
Doing double duties was more common in the old days... but there have been a few successful skaters in both pairs and singles...

mrrice

Record Breaker
there have been recent threads about this @mrrice : I remember this topic coming up when Daisuke Takahashi was competing to earn a spot for team Japan... earning a team event medal in two disciplines would have been quite special !
Doing double duties was more common in the old days... but there have been a few successful skaters in both pairs and singles...
I know that Randy Gardner skated singles for a while after Tai retired. I don't think he ever won a National Title is Singles, did he?

Last edited:

Arwen17

Final Flight
It does have a relationship. There are exceptions, where a righty jumps clockwise, but most righties prefer counter-clockwise skating and most lefties prefer clockwise.

For the past several years, every time I meet a CW skater, I ask what hand they write with. 99% are right-handed, despite being CW skaters. Vice-versa, if I do find a left-hander, I confirm if they are CCW or not.
From my limited dataset, handedness really doesn't seem connected to rotation direction at all. At most, maybe left-handers are more likely to go CW, but its definitely not a guarantee because there are TONS of exceptions.

It would be really cool if USFSA would do a national survey asking people what handedness they have and which way they spin.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
What quite a few people don't realise, is that most people have ability to jump both way, and tend to prefer one over the other. Often, if it's close, coaches will push counter-clockwise as its easier for the skater (in terms of jumping patonage) and easier for the coach.

in addition, many people might never jump their ideal way. This is because with singles, perhaps a slightly stronger leg at the time might influence it (or slightly more flexible leg for waltz jump for example), yet this might not be the ideal way when it comes to rotation and coordination for multiple rotation jumps (and after training to get both sides of your body strong and flexible.)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Did his partner win a singles title as well? I actually don't remember seeing him skate pairs. I'll to look for him and his partner on Youtube.
She skated singles at one point but her biggest achievement was 1980 Junior Pairs title with Wylie. She is currently a skating judge.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^ Are you referring to Dana Graham? I believe she has judged some of the Summer competitions @ Ice Works in Aston, PA (home of the Philadelphia International Summer Competition formerly known as "Liberty").

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
^ Are you referring to Dana Graham? I believe she has judged some of the Summer competitions @ Ice Works in Aston, PA (home of the Philadelphia International Summer Competition formerly known as "Liberty").
Yes.