Clockwise Jumpers | Golden Skate

Clockwise Jumpers

MiraiFan

Final Flight
I am so, so sorry to hear of Satoko's retirement. 😢 I was hoping I could see her skate live yet.
But health comes first, and I guess for her that was the main issue. Her prospects on the Japanese team, and in next season's competitions, were still very good. I've also read that Satoko was an excellent student with great English, so maybe she wants to develop her talents further in that direction, too. Best of luck to you, Satoko, and thank you for your skating! 🌹
What might have been if she had been allowed to jump in her natural (clockwise) direction... the fact that they force everyone into one direction in Japan and Russia is insane... and detrimental.

macy

Record Breaker
Everyone should be allowed to skate in their natural rotation and I do believe she may have had much better, less forced and more natural looking jumps.
i don't understand why they are forced to jump/spin in a certain direction? why are they not allowed to jump the direction their body naturally does?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i don't understand why they are forced to jump/spin in a certain direction? why are they not allowed to jump the direction their body naturally does?
the only explanation I could think of, and I am not a skater so this may be wrong, is that since coaches wouldn't feel comfortable teaching it on the reverse of what they can do? with the mechanics etc... But, maybe someone has a better reason.

Weathergal

Medalist
In Satoko's case, I think I recall her saying she was forced to skate in the same direction as everyone else when she was younger because the rink she was training in at the time was very crowded so there wasn't room for skaters training in the other direction.

macy

Record Breaker
the only explanation I could think of, and I am not a skater so this may be wrong, is that since coaches wouldn't feel comfortable teaching it on the reverse of what they can do? with the mechanics etc... But, maybe someone has a better reason.
i can say for sure this wouldn't be the case. it's all the same, just the other foot/leg. coaches (at least here in the US) typically have skaters who jump both directions.

sad that her being forced to jump the other direction probably hindered her successes in a lot of ways.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i can say for sure this wouldn't be the case. it's all the same, just the other foot/leg. coaches (at least here in the US) typically have skaters who jump both directions.

sad that her being forced to jump the other direction probably hindered her successes in a lot of ways.
thanks... that's why i said " i am not a skater " i am ambidextrous and for some sports, I am right-handed, for some others, left-handed. In some of the left-handed sports i practiced, some coaches would tell me they weren't as comfortable teaching me some movements. That's why I mentioned that...but thanks for eliminating this from the option... Seems like @Weathergal has a point. At the same time, Kaetlyn was skating in a mall... and she was clockwise.

Ziotic

Medalist
thanks... that's why i said " i am not a skater " i am ambidextrous and for some sports, I am right-handed, for some others, left-handed. In some of the left-handed sports i practiced, some coaches would tell me they weren't as comfortable teaching me some movements. That's why I mentioned that...but thanks for eliminating this from the option... Seems like @Weathergal has a point. At the same time, Kaetlyn was skating in a mall... and she was clockwise.
From experience. It’s likely a combination of both coaching and space that resulted in not being able to jump their preferred way.

Satoko started in the Us where she was allowed to jump clockwise, it wasn’t until she moved back to Japan that she needed to change.

In Canada they do a series of test to see what’s natural for you and train accordingly.

Others likely just train in systemic way.

Come to think of it I’m having difficulty thinking of clockwise jumpers from anywhere other than North American

ETA: actually Kostner jumps clockwise right?

Country
Norway
From experience. It’s likely a combination of both coaching and space that resulted in not being able to jump their preferred way.

Satoko started in the Us where she was allowed to jump clockwise, it wasn’t until she moved back to Japan that she needed to change.

In Canada they do a series of test to see what’s natural for you and train accordingly.

Others likely just train in systemic way.

Come to think of it I’m having difficulty thinking of clockwise jumpers from anywhere other than North American
Actually I have noticed there is a lot of them this season. At Euros there was even one warm up group with 3 skaters jumping clockwise: Yasmine Kimiko Yamada (SUI), Lindsay Van Zundert (NED) and Linnea Kilsand (NOR). Lara Naki Gutman (ITA) is a clockwise jumper, so was Carolina Kostner. Also very interesting, but Casper Johansson from Sweden also jumps clockwise, and he is the only male skater I can think of. He is coached by one of the Helgesson sisters I think, and Victoria Helgesson did jump clockwise as well.

Edit: I forgot about Aldis Kara Bergsdottir, but I just noticed her jumping clockwise this season.

Adding: Linnea Ceder from Finland.

Also forgot about Natasha Mckay from GB. There is a lot of them actually :)

Last edited:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
What might have been if she had been allowed to jump in her natural (clockwise) direction... the fact that they force everyone into one direction in Japan and Russia is insane... and detrimental.
Does Russia do this too? I didn't know that (although thinking on it, I've never seen a clockwise Russian skater).

As others have said I believe in Japan the "everyone has to go counter-clockwise" is due to crowded rinks.

Having said that all the clockwise jumpers I've seen head into the jump the same way...like they don't also skate clockwise around the rink. I'm very confused.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am curious how does it work in pairs?

It can be smooth, or in my opinion, it can look a bit choppy or just off-kilter.

They skated together more than 30 years ago, but Kristi Yamaguchi and Rudy Galindo are still my favorite mirror pair. They were smooth with the opposite jumps, which would actually still be competitive today -- They did SBS 3Flip and 3T+2T, also th3Sal. (other pairs elements, not so much, the requirements have changed). As much as their smoothness, they had beautiful ability to skate as one, with the same knee action, stride, and musicality.

In case anyone is interested, Kristi & Rudy in 1990: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_ml-B0F3c0

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Lefties:
Osmond, Weir, Czisny, Wagner, Kostner, Madi Aaron, Schizas, Nadeau, Hughes, Torvill (yes she was naturally a lefty), Helgesson, Siraj, C. Lee, Russo, Olsson, Hiwatashi, and there are others I know I'm forgetting.

Ryan Bradley competed counterclockwise but is able to jump both directions and has done so in shows and practices in recent years.

I also want to point out that you don't have to be left handed to be a clockwise (lefty) skater. There are multiple like Weir that are right handed and jump left.
There are also many that we will never know that they were naturally lefty (clockwise) skaters and jump and spin righty b/c they were "broken" of it at a young age b/c it was just easier for the coaches, etc.

Last edited: