COI Ice Review / Rant / Slanted Opinion | Page 2 | Golden Skate

COI Ice Review / Rant / Slanted Opinion

kyla2

Final Flight
Michelle

Very glad Michelle was so well recieved. It must be lifting her spirits to know how much she is loved. I think both Michelle and Sasha are physically hurting and I am pretty much convinced this is it for Michelle, and very possibly Sasha. Just my gut feeling and it's a killer.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does Sasha do her God Bless America program in COI??? If not, what program does she do??

Dee

mzheng

Record Breaker
Thanks KW and NYFan for the review.

Kwanford Wife said:
.... She had tears streaming down her face at the conclusion.
Also, knowing in my heart that I've probably seen Michelle live for the last time... so sad.

She was probably savour every min she could on the ice in front of public.

nymkfan51

Medalist
One question, Kwanford Wife ... why do you feel that you've seen Michelle live for the last time?
Even if she never competes as an eligible skater again, she will continue to do COI and maybe some other exhibitions. I don't believe her injury is such that she won't be able to skate anymore. Is that what you're thinking?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think I'll enjoy most of the show when I see it in July

at least I hope so lol

can't wait to see Evan, Sasha, and Tanith and Ben! :rock: seems like a small cast this year...

ladybug said:
I read somewhere that she just signed another 4 year contract with COI.Ladybug
I presume that is the basis for the 'onedayatatime' we hear so much about. It's certainly not for the 'llovetocompete'.

Am I correct?

Joe

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Joesitz said:
I presume that is the basis for the 'onedayatatime' we hear so much about. It's certainly not for the 'llovetocompete'.

Am I correct?

Joe

Why? IMO, if Michelle, in fact, is physically unable to continue competing, then COI -- with the competitive skaters in its case -- might be as close to competition as Michelle can get.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
ladybug said:
I read somewhere that she just signed another 4 year contract with COI.

Ladybug
It seems very strange to me that she would continue with COI. I am not at all a fan of the COI shows, they just herd them in and herd them out. SOI has somewhat of a theme and each skater usually gets a couple of solos. Anyhow, I am not much of a show skate person anyhow.

Michelle should have started her own skating show and called it MOI, Michelle on Ice, :laugh: :laugh:

Any thoughts on why she stays with COI??

Dee

antmanb

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:

Am I correct?

Joe

I would have thought its for the - i earn a living through skating. COI and competitive elligible skating are not mutually exclusive as we know by the fact the elligibles skate on COI too.

COI is just Kwan's bread and butter while getting to skate for the fans that love her, given the audience reaction to her performance in this thread, i think that's probably a fair enough statement.

The comments that she makes about taking it one day at a time and that she loves to compete are always made in the context of explaining whether she will remain elligible or not. Since COI is just exhibition skating i don't see what the relevance of her signing a four contract with COI *** to her ellgibile career - she can do both and her participation in one does not really affect the other, unless she still can't jump by the end of the COI tour, in which case you might ask whether she will be able to resume the level of training required for elligible competition.

At any rate as you rightly often point out - with Kwan there's never any way of knowing until the autumn comes round and you actually see her take to the ice, whether its on the GP or Regionals...or not at either.

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
Dee4707 said:
It seems very strange to me that she would continue with COI. I am not at all a fan of the COI shows, they just herd them in and herd them out. SOI has somewhat of a theme and each skater usually gets a couple of solos. Anyhow, I am not much of a show skate person anyhow.

Michelle should have started her own skating show and called it MOI, Michelle on Ice, :laugh: :laugh:

Any thoughts on why she stays with COI??

Dee

Doesn't she have a long history of working with COI? Aren't the skaters on COI signed exclusively and therefore can't go off and do SOI?

Ant

nymkfan51

Medalist
Michelle is very loyal to Tom Collins, so I don't see her leaving COI anytime soon.

And I also do not expect her to compete next season. The tour this year doesn't end till August, and I'm guessing she will have to address her health issues if they haven't already resolved themselves.
She could, however, come back for the 2007/2008 season ... maybe give it a try and see where things go from there.

I know Michelle has been doing her one-day-at-a-time thing for the last few years, but right now I honestly believe she doesn't know what she's going to be capable of. Whatever happens this summer, I do not think MK will make any announcements about giving up eligible skating. She may simply just not compete for awhile and see.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
antmanb said:
Doesn't she have a long history of working with COI? Aren't the skaters on COI signed exclusively and therefore can't go off and do SOI?

Ant

Skaters on COI often go to SOI -- there may be a contractual requirement of a "year off" before switching, but that is it (and there isn't always such a requirement -- IIRC, Todd Eldredge did COI leading up to the SLC Olys, and then switched) Furthermore, with some extra paperwork, skaters can keep their Oly eligibility while performing with SOI (Sarah Hughes has done so). However, SOI tours during the competitive season, so if a skater wants to compete, they can't do SOI at the same time -- so most Oly eligible skaters do COI.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
nymkfan51 said:
One question, Kwanford Wife ... why do you feel that you've seen Michelle live for the last time?
Even if she never competes as an eligible skater again, she will continue to do COI and maybe some other exhibitions. I don't believe her injury is such that she won't be able to skate anymore. Is that what you're thinking?

I guess my statement has more to do with Michelle's eligible skating career... I don't think I'll see her compete again. Shows like COI aren't that great to begin with and when you factor in the cost... well, I'd rather wait for the tv version... espcially when I cannot stand 95% of the content... I want to see her compete, not just emote. I always think of Michelle as an athlete first & then a performer. COI & SOI focus on the performer and therefore aren't worth the price. IMHO.

nymkfan51

Medalist
Kwanford Wife said:
I guess my statement has more to do with Michelle's eligible skating career... I don't think I'll see her compete again. Shows like COI aren't that great to begin with and when you factor in the cost... well, I'd rather wait for the tv version... espcially when I cannot stand 95% of the content... I want to see her compete, not just emote. I always think of Michelle as an athlete first & then a performer. COI & SOI focus on the performer and therefore aren't worth the price. IMHO.

Okay, I get ya.
I prefer the competing too, but MK skating anywhere is better than nothing at all for me.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
nymkfan51 said:
Michelle is very loyal to Tom Collins, so I don't see her leaving COI anytime soon.
Well being loyal is very admirable but we are looking at a future here and I don't think loyalty has anything to do with it except maybe to yourself. I don't understand what being loyal to Tom Collins has anything to do with anything.

My original question was........Any thoughts on why she stays with COI??

Being loyal to Tom Collins isn't a very good answer for someone who is partly a business woman??

Dee