COI Ice Review / Rant / Slanted Opinion | Page 3 | Golden Skate

COI Ice Review / Rant / Slanted Opinion

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Dee4707 said:
My original question was........Any thoughts on why she stays with COI??

Dee

As I said before, I think she stays with COI because she can't do SOI and compete at the same time (that she could retain her Oly eligibility while touring is different -- I'm talking about actually competing at Nats and Worlds, while touring with SOI -- and no skater that I know of has ever been able to do both in the same season). Also, SOI (in the non-Oly years) is a longer tour, and with each "big name" doing two solos plus group numbers plus intro and finale (as opposed to COI -- intro, one solo, finale), I would think SOI puts more wear and tear on the body.

nymkfan51

Medalist
Well Dee, I think loyalty has a lot to do with things. I'm sure part of her loyalty to him is due to the fact that he has treated her well over the years, and vice versa. And since COI seems to be something she enjoys, I hardly see her looking to go somewhere else. And given that her competition days are near/or at the end, it makes it even more likely that she would continue to do the tour.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Another reason is that with COI she remains the tour's biggest star... On SOI, she'd be another national/world champion w/ Scott being the "STAR"... Her check is gonna be a lot bigger as the headliner...

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kwanford Wife said:
I guess my statement has more to do with Michelle's eligible skating career... I don't think I'll see her compete again. Shows like COI aren't that great to begin with and when you factor in the cost... well, I'd rather wait for the tv version... espcially when I cannot stand 95% of the content... I want to see her compete, not just emote. I always think of Michelle as an athlete first & then a performer. COI & SOI focus on the performer and therefore aren't worth the price. IMHO.

Yes, I love competitions, too, but thank goodness for COI & SOI! Not everyone is able to travel a great distance to attend competitions, so COI & SOI present opprtunities for many skating fans to see their favorite skaters, Oympic eligible & ineligible, locally.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Kwanford Wife said:
Another reason is that with COI she remains the tour's biggest star... On SOI, she'd be another national/world champion w/ Scott being the "STAR"... Her check is gonna be a lot bigger as the headliner...

Actually Scott's "Star" is now as the director... it would still headline Michelle... he'd be an idiot not to headline her...

Could it also be that COI isn't as demanding as SOI... not just in number of shows a year, but how many numbers she skates?

Michelle has always been extremely quiet about her personal life, and very quiet about her skating life. That's a given.

I'm not complaining about that. I always defend skaters on their decisions whether or not I believe they made the best decisions.

I'm only talking about myself here. I am somewhat bored of hearing rationales about her physical problems and her love to compete. What I do want to hear and do NOT want to speculate on is: a) how bad is she hurting? in the sense that will she always be limited in figure skating? there will never again be any jumping in her skating?

b) If she really loves to compete, will she? in something other than Campbells which is, by the way, iffy right now? Is she prepared to go through the maze of getting to the Nationals with or without jumps? either in 2007 or 08?

Not much to know realistically, imo. It's all speculation, and for many fans, the hope that she will skate in something. If the rumor is correct, we may know that she will do COI for the next 4 years. Nothing else is known!!

I am sure there is a whole game plan out there in California but what it is exactly, we do not know. It just seems to me to be hopeful speculation.

Joe

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
I'm only talking about myself here. I am somewhat bored of hearing rationales about her physical problems and her love to compete. What I do want to hear and do NOT want to speculate on is: a) how bad is she hurting? in the sense that will she always be limited in figure skating? there will never again be any jumping in her skating?

Joe I doubt if even her doctors know those answers for sure. Most docs won't commit themselves. It really is a one day at a time, let's see how you feel next week kind of thing. I'm sure that Kwan is even more interesed in those answers than we are.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I take it that Kwan and her doctors are doing what they can. However, I think she is seriously deluded if she really think she can stay in this whole thing yet ANOTHER four years in light of what has happened to her recently, even with the dramatically reduced competition schedule.

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
I take it that Kwan and her doctors are doing what they can. However, I think she is seriously deluded if she really think she can stay in this whole thing yet ANOTHER four years in light of what has happened to her recently, even with the dramatically reduced competition schedule.

Seriously do you now have a mirror into her mind?

R.D.

Record Breaker
demarinis5 said:

Did I claim to? Did it ever occur that I said "I THINK" before I started in?

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
Did I claim to? Did it ever occur that I said "I THINK" before I started in?

Sorry-let me rephrase - "Seriously do you THINK you now have a mirror into her mind"

R.D.

Record Breaker
Once again, I state the obvious. Saying "I THINK" or "IMO" is equivalent to saying "This is my opinion only, and I DO NOT CLAIM TO KNOW what's going on. It's only my conjecture or my belief."

And the above is, of course, IMO.

ladybug

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
I presume that is the basis for the 'onedayatatime' we hear so much about. It's certainly not for the 'llovetocompete'.

Am I correct?

Joe

Kind of tough to compete when you aren't healthy enough to do even one jump. Doing COI will keep her fit until she becomes injury free and she can go back to the "Ilovetocompete" part of her life.

Ladybug

antmanb

Record Breaker
Dee4707 said:
Well being loyal is very admirable but we are looking at a future here and I don't think loyalty has anything to do with it except maybe to yourself. I don't understand what being loyal to Tom Collins has anything to do with anything.

My original question was........Any thoughts on why she stays with COI??

Being loyal to Tom Collins isn't a very good answer for someone who is partly a business woman??

Dee

Well it all depends on how you are as a person, i might be a business man but there are a number of people in this world that i am loyal to far beyond making money. I would always put those people above any money making opportunity or business enterprise regardless of the amount involved. Those people are not just my family but various important non blood relative people in my life. Also i'm thinking that Kwan isn't exactly having to try to milk every last bit of money from all her opportunities given that she must be a millionaire. :)

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Michelle has always been extremely quiet about her personal life, and very quiet about her skating life. That's a given.

I'm not complaining about that. I always defend skaters on their decisions whether or not I believe they made the best decisions.

b) If she really loves to compete, will she? in something other than Campbells which is, by the way, iffy right now? Is she prepared to go through the maze of getting to the Nationals with or without jumps? either in 2007 or 08?

Not much to know realistically, imo. It's all speculation, and for many fans, the hope that she will skate in something. If the rumor is correct, we may know that she will do COI for the next 4 years. Nothing else is known!!

I am sure there is a whole game plan out there in California but what it is exactly, we do not know. It just seems to me to be hopeful speculation.

Joe

BUt maybe the questions about her physical condition do not yet have an answer. Look at the agonising year Yagudin had with the injury that ended his career. Sometimes you just don't know the full extent of the damage until you observe it for a while. I honestly would not expect there to be a game plan at all right now because i don't think anything is certain at this point in time.

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
demarinis5 said:

I don't think its too outlandish to say that Kwan competing in 2010 is a little bit far fetched. I, as much as anyone, would absolutely love her to be there and would be rooting for her every last bit, but the realist in me says that given her injuries now, keeping up the training required to be competitive and getting back on the US worlds team and staying there for another four years, would likely finish up breaking her body before she can get there. Look at the number of skaters who once they start getting injuries are plagued by them until in the end they're forced to leave the elligible ranks. I really do hope she can get there but i just don't think the dream will become reality.

Ant

Last edited:
And the hope goes on.

More than anything we are not going to be informed of the status of her hurting. It's 'one day at a time', and 'I love to compete', but I will not compete except under contractual terms. Does this not sum it up?

Joe

antmanb

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
And the hope goes on.

More than anything we are not going to be informed of the status of her hurting. It's 'one day at a time', and 'I love to compete', but I will not compete except under contractual terms. Does this not sum it up?

Joe

I don't really know what point you're trying to make...if you want to take a swipe why not actually say what you mean? In the meantime you can keep repeating the same phrases over and over and make no point. :scratch:

I don't think Kwan's situation can be summed up in the three lines you wrote above...which is the only point i think you actually expressly make.

Ant