Commentators: ABC vs. NBC; Who should do Olympics? | Golden Skate

Commentators: ABC vs. NBC; Who should do Olympics?

I started this on the Michelle thread and realized I was getting carried away, so new thread.

I agreed with I think it was Vash that where Carruthers shines is as a pairs commentator. One problem is, however, is that at least I think, Paul Wylie is just as good technically as Peter on the pairs commentary. But I never skated pairs so I can't really compare them on technical insight. The real trouble, I think, is that Paul is just so much more likable than Peter. Paul and Susie Wynne have great chemistry and rhythm to the commentary. The little moments of humor are just that--little, rather than long, boring inside jokes. Plus they're appropriate to skating, eg, Paul's comment about how his daughter Hannah has to look at Emily Hughes's book every day, something like A Young Skater. (One Google and two Amazon searches this late are close enough and good enough. Anybody got the right title?)

"Every day Hanah has to look at Emily," Paul said. "She just loves Emily," with the love and something slightly perplexed in his voice only fathers have when talking about their daughters. It's an example of "just right": sweet, funny, and a little personal moment in which Paul, as he and Susie usually do, hit just the right note, whether it's something about technique, aesthetics, or off-ice comments as if they were talking to you in your living room.

Plus Paul's technical insights into singles are superb. I'm sure after enough years we'll hear standard "Wylieisms" but right now they all sound so fresh and I feel like I'm learning so much all over again. Too bad ABC and NBC can't make a special deal to have the same commentators do the Olympics. The ABC people are the ones who have been watching these skaters develop, or not; skate great programs, not so great ones; and watch them practice and interact with their coaches--not just for the season but for years. Some since the last Olympics. I say thar's gold in them thar brains--and silver and bronze. Not really, but information they have is worth gold. You just don't get that from walking in and taking over the commentary on skaters you may have never seen skate live this season.

I assume Scott Hamilton will be the guy, but the woman? Kristi's got a new baby. Nancy Kerrigan? Roz Sumners, god help us. Anyway, it will be somebody, and she'll come in while Scott is really thinking and worrying about SOI.

Comments? Or should I say, "Commentary?"

Rgirl

I seem to be the only person on the planet who liked Peter Carrouthers' work on the Marshall's show yesterday. For the first time ever he seemed at ease and like he really had something to say. Previously, with his interview work especially, I felt that he was struggling awkwardly to find something to say at all. Some people just naturally have the gift of gab, but Peter isn't one of them.

I thought he was much more in his element yesterday. I didn't think he was mean to the skaters. He had words of encouragement for all of them, but was still forthright in saying who skated well and who didn't.

(Lining up the skaters to face the inquisition was a bit much, though. I so wish Michelle had given them the finger -- "Yeah, I sucked -- bite me.")

That said, IMHO Paul Wiley is the man. Maybe it's just because we haven't got tired of him yet, but to me he gives by far the some interesting and insightful commentary.

Also Susie Wynn for dance.

All in all, NBC should just hire the whole ABC/ESPN crew.

MM :)

Last edited:
From the topic I thought it would be a thread on NBC v. ABC but it was more about Peter whom I have said for many years should have been dumped.
He speaks in the opinionated fashion, and Paul speaks in the objective fashion. I am sure Paul has his opinions of all skaters but they are not laced in his reporting. Objectivity is the art of reporting. Opinions are for discussions.

It seem to me that most of these former skater guys have never had a course, and certainly not majored in Communicaions Media, in college. However, in the artistic fields some people do rise to the occasion and perform a workman like job.

I know many fans of figure skating do not want anyone to say anything about their favorites. But, imo, Scott and Peter are just not good at this. Peggy and Dick as a team it works ok. Paul and Kurt need some good director to bring them forward because they have some talent and both are objective.

As to the disciplines, having skated many years ago, I can say that an axel is an axel whether in Pairs or in Singles. Hanging out at Rinks a single skater can see the differences in lifts and throws as well as pair spins. No big deal. As for performance, well that is an opinion once the dust has settled. I can not comment on Dance.

What I would like to hear from the commentators is a strong commanding objective voice in their comments. The opinions can come after the fact.

Now what I thought was the topic. I remember John Tesh (ABC) wanting to do the figure skating commentary at the Olys way back when which were on NBC or CBS, I forget. Anyway, NBC or CBS would not have him.

So it is NBC's choice (not ABC or ours) who does the commentating. Anyone hear of anything about this?

Joe

Last edited:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
NBC are so clueless to reality, it should be ABC. Watch NBC hype Michelle Kwan as the heavy gold medal favorite and the gold being "hers to lose" when those wordds apply to Slutskaya this time around, not Kwan. Then they will probably think it is a scandal if Kwan skates cleanly and loses, but only inside the U.S will that be apparent if Slutskaya performs as expected; Kwan will have to have upgraded many things of last years program to make it close in that case. They will overhype the chances of the U.S men to death, when most knowledgable fans know they are likely to be off the podium, and they will try potray Plushenko as not being a lock when he is. They will probably even try and promote the medal chances of say Inoue and Baldwin in the pairs, getting some naive fans hopes up for nothing.

slutskayafan21 said:
NBC are so clueless to reality, it should be ABC. Watch NBC hype Michelle Kwan as the heavy gold medal favorite and the gold being "hers to lose" when those wordds apply to Slutskaya this time around, not Kwan. Then they will probably think it is a scandal if Kwan skates cleanly and loses, but only inside the U.S will that be apparent if Slutskaya performs as expected; Kwan will have to have upgraded many things of last years program to make it close in that case. They will overhype the chances of the U.S men to death, when most knowledgable fans know they are likely to be off the podium, and they will try potray Plushenko as not being a lock when he is. They will probably even try and promote the medal chances of say Inoue and Baldwin in the pairs, getting some naive fans hopes up for nothing.
Just for my information, what is Russian TV saying about Slutskaya? What is French TV saying about Joubert? What is Swiss TV saying about Lambiel? What is Canadian TV saying about Sandhu, Buttle and Joannie? Can you give me a factual report on the above National TVs? or will it be just your opinion?

I think many posters here need a course in what makes money on TV in a free economy society. If Michelle or Sasha hype can bring in more advertisers than so be it. They will be hyped - not for patriotic reasons; not for political reasons; but because their names are being used for ratings which will bring in more money to the networks.

Most Americans do not like unnecessary hype but they understand the reason behind.

Joe

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Anwer to Joe's post

1. I'd say that Russian media is far worse than American in terms of subjectivity. They are also quite a bit more nasty to their own athletes when they mess up.

2. I disagree that patriotism has nothing to do with this. I'd even go further and say that the leftover of Cold War. I recall a couple of years ago the advertisement of some ice show on TV (something to do with Scott Hamilton I think) had "No Russian judges" in the advertisement. I believe this does play on the resentment between the two nations.

3. I also don't believe that Americans don't like hype. If that were true, there wouldn't be so much of it. Though I will certainly concede that the vast majority of American skating fans don't like the hype around skaters.

Ptichka said:
2. I disagree that patriotism has nothing to do with this. I'd even go further and say that the leftover of Cold War. I recall a couple of years ago the advertisement of some ice show on TV (something to do with Scott Hamilton I think) had "No Russian judges" in the advertisement. I believe this does play on the resentment between the two nations.
That certainly was in bad taste, but in saying that politics do not play a role in the media hype maybe an overstatement on my part. I can see it being used if it is soley to make money for the networks. I still think it would be in bad taste.

3. I also don't believe that Americans don't like hype. If that were true, there wouldn't be so much of it. Though I will certainly concede that the vast majority of American skating fans don't like the hype around skaters.
From what I read about figure skaters in Forums, I think some of those posters are interested even in when their favorite skater does her nails, and, if an advertiser can sense that it will push that hype whether or not the pulic likes it or not. NBC will push the Olys to the hilt. It needs the money. I'm not praising these tactics of the advertising world, but I do find them all too powerful and push things down American throats. Problem is so many Americans buy it. Yes, the American TV will hype Kwan and Cohen but so what? I'm not sure about Johnny, He is definitely not the rugged outdoor type. I&B will get a nod around the competition; and B&A will be a cause celebreif she gets her citizenship.

Joe

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Joesitz said:
Just for my information, what is Russian TV saying about Slutskaya? What is French TV saying about Joubert? What is Swiss TV saying about Lambiel? What is Canadian TV saying about Sandhu, Buttle and Joannie? Can you give me a factual report on the above National TVs? or will it be just your opinion?

I think many posters here need a course in what makes money on TV in a free economy society. If Michelle or Sasha hype can bring in more advertisers than so be it. They will be hyped - not for patriotic reasons; not for political reasons; but because their names are being used for ratings which will bring in more money to the networks.

Most Americans do not like unnecessary hype but they understand the reason behind.

Joe

There is reasonable hype, partiosm, and partialness to your own on one hand; then there is blatant exagerration, outrageous excessism of your own, and totally skewed perspective of reality of the competitive landscape for your own on the other. The former is ABC, and also Canadian skating coverage I might add which is fine, the latter is NBC and should be done away with.

Dick, Peggy, Peter, and Terry, are partial to U.S skaters and try and sell them to the viewing public; but they are not totally distant from reality like the ridiculous NBC crew of Hamilton and Bezic, two of the most annoying people in the booth ever!!!!

Last edited:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
slutskayafan21 said:
Dick, Peggy, Peter, and Terry, are partial to U.S skaters and try and sell them to the viewing public; but they are not totally distant from reality like the ridiculous NBC crew of Hamilton and Bezic, two of the most annoying people in the booth ever!!!!
ITA

Eeyora

Final Flight
After yesterday's cheesefest I would put Peter in the same class as Roz. Loud, Obnoxious and possibly sloshed with a personal vendetta against Kwan.

S

SkateFan4Life

In my book, nobody does it better than ABC - it is the best American television station, as far as figure skating commentary is concerned. The team of Dick Button, Peggy Fleming, Terry Gannon, etc. stands head and shoulders over everyone else - in my humble opinion, of course. :biggrin:

Dick is the master of the sport - has an encyclopedic knowledge of everyone who has ever laced on figure skates. Peggy is a class act - intelligent, kind, and gracious. Terry Gannon is more like the rest of us - a fan of the sport - but he has good knowledge, and he works very well with Dick and Peggy.

Those of us old enough to remember the great days of ABC Olympic coverage and Jim McKay - "Mr. Olympics" - surely know what I'm writing about. Their coverage was wonderful - knowledgeable, caring, intelligent, the whole gamut.

CDMM1991

Medalist
All I can say, is that for the figure skating event at least, I will be watching the Canadian coverage. We have great commentators, and we usually get to see about half of the field. If it isn't on at the same time as the NBC coverage, I will watch both and compare them.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Luckily, I'll be watching CBC, like I did in 2002. But I agree that Wynne and Wylie are the two best commentators on US television. Both bring expertise, not just personal preference, to the table, and Wylie in his last broadcasts went out of his way to explain things in CoP terms -- i.e., relative difficulty.

Antilles

Medalist
I find all of the Canadian and American announcers show some national bias. I'm sure the same is true for most countries. I just try to grit my teeth and bear it. That being said, I prefer ABC to NBC. They cover skating regularly, not once every four years. They seem more knowledgeable. Plus, I will never forgive NBC for it's lousy, biased coverage of the pairs debacle in 2002. No matter who should have won, it could have been handled much better than it was by NBC.

Jhar55

Medalist
I perfer ABC to NBC, last Olympics NBC coverage stunk!!
The Olympics in our back yard and hardly any if any live coverage.
NBC also has Nascar and I think they have Daytona 500 which is around the same time so we' know where that days coverage is going to be. (nascar fan but skating comes first) ABC just does a better coverage and they have some of the better commentators. Even CBS would do a better job then NBC = needs better coverage :rofl:

orchid

On the Ice
Paul Wylie, Suzie Wynn and Sandra Bezic as principal commentators. They would simply speak to the skating and only when necessary. Mr. Button to initiate conversation after the skate.

Peter and Terry can trek the streets of Turin lurking for ancient artifacts to share with us during the Zamboni. Or better yet, let us watch the reparr of the ice, and the gentleman driver clad in a Tuxedo.

Imagine, music and skating, no voice overs, ahhhhhhhh.

LegalGirl82

On the Ice
Rgirl said:
Plus they're appropriate to skating, eg, Paul's comment about how his daughter Hannah has to look at Emily Hughes's book every day, something like A Young Skater. (One Google and two Amazon searches this late are close enough and good enough. Anybody got the right title?)
Rgirl

Rgirl~

The title is I Am A Skater.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Can I ask for CBS... yes NBC has the cbs "experts" but I miss Verne something awful... and I just realized that when watching Ice Wars this weekend :laugh: I think Terry and Verne should do the whole thing without any experts... they're more entertaining and have just as much knowledge as neccesery (and Dick won't have to tell us all about the history of some random piece of music... Scott won't be yelling the same three phrases... Kurt won't be saying some teen girl is sexy... etc) :laugh:

ok it's midnight and I've gone loopy... I'm off for the night lol

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
Tonichelle said:
Can I ask for CBS... yes NBC has the cbs "experts" but I miss Verne something awful... and I just realized that when watching Ice Wars this weekend :laugh: I think Terry and Verne should do the whole thing without any experts... they're more entertaining and have just as much knowledge as neccesery (and Dick won't have to tell us all about the history of some random piece of music... Scott won't be yelling the same three phrases... Kurt won't be saying some teen girl is sexy... etc) :laugh:

ok it's midnight and I've gone loopy... I'm off for the night lol

I agree, Toni. I remember about three years ago, Terry Gannon called most of the jumps in someone's performance. I think after watching skating for so long (I don't see him doing any other sports anymore), he has gotten to know the jumps and such.

The ones I miss no longer seem to do skating-- Robin Roberts, Vern Lundquist, and Michael Varsha.