Congratulations Canada!!! | Golden Skate

Congratulations Canada!!!

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
I would like to be the first to congratulate Team Canada on their performance this week.
  • Three Medals
    • Jeffrey Buttle - GOLD
    • Tessa Virtue/Scott Moir - SILVER
    • Jessica Dube/Bryce Davison - BRONZE
  • All pairs teams in the Top 10
  • Patrick Chan in the Top 10 in his debut
    • Three spots for the men next year
  • Joannie Rochette in the Top 5 - her best to date
Looking good heading to 2010!!!!!

lmarie086

Medalist
They were all amazing. Congratulations to each one of them.
It's looking good for them going into 2010. I'm getting really excited, these Olympics are going to be something else.

Sweetie

Rinkside
Maybe I'm a bad Canadian but going into these worlds, I wasn't 100% sure this was possible. They've outscored beyond my wildest dreams. Congratulations. You've proven me wrong!

rain

Record Breaker
This result is better than anything I could have ever dreamed coming into worlds. I was resigned to the likely outcome that Canada would not medal in any discipline. Instead we have a GOLD (Yay Jeff), silver and bronze! What a feat for all of the pairs to be in the top 10! Rochette achieving her season's goal and finishing top 5! The whole team should be very, very proud of themselves. And might I just say that aside from the results, most of the comments from fans on all of the boards have been incredible about the Canadians' performances, which is also outstanding.

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
This result is better than anything I could have ever dreamed coming into worlds. I was resigned to the likely outcome that Canada would not medal in any discipline. Instead we have a GOLD (Yay Jeff), silver and bronze! What a feat for all of the pairs to be in the top 10! Rochette achieving her season's goal and finishing top 5! The whole team should be very, very proud of themselves. And might I just say that aside from the results, most of the comments from fans on all of the boards have been incredible about the Canadians' performances, which is also outstanding.

You put words into my mouth.

My concern is with the juniors and the chronically weak ladies field. We didn't do well at Junior Worlds, which is a good indication of what is to come.

Here is a CBC interview with Mike Sliphcuk, High Performance Director for Skate Canada.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/indepth/feature-skate-canada-qa.html

Saundy

On the Ice
I am just simply amazed. As I said before, I was seriously concerned for skating in Canada. Especially in the women's field, but Joannie has lifted my spirits.

Tessa and Scott. Such a bright future. I never expected them to be vying for the World title this year and then to go and win the free dance. Amazing. I'll be expecting olympic gold home from them if they keep this up.

Jessica and Bryce. Again, such a bright future for these 2. They did an amazing job and showed what they are capable of. I think if they step it up a bit next season, and add the triple twist, they will be hard to beat in the VERY near future.
And to the other 2 pairs teams. It is amazing for them all to land in the top 8. So congratulations!

Joannie, Joannie, Joannie. I have never stopped believing in her and I won't, especially after this performance. She has proved that she has the talent and the goods to be in the top tier of the world. Keep it up!

But most of all. Jeffrey Buttle. WOW. :bow: What an AMAZING competition. He not only won but he blew the rest of the competition out of the water. So many people wrote him off, but he's back! And Patrick Chan. What a bright future. He is someone to really look for. In tht top 10 at 17 years old? Who would have thought it?

Vancouver is going to be awesome...I think we're in good shape heading into the pre-olympic year! :agree:

Antilles

Medalist
I never would have believed that Canada would come away with the most medals. Awesome performances by the whole team!

nadster

Final Flight
First of all congrats to all skaters. They really represented Canada proudly.

Now some comments:

Men:

Jeff: Great to nail both performances so emphatically at Worlds after struggling most of the season.

Chan: A couple of mistakes but you never broke. Great debut.

Early prediction for 2009 team : Buttle, Chan, Chipheur

Women:

Joannie: Great for a personal best finish at worlds. Now podium next time. We know you can do it.

Mira: Better than last year. Still I would like you to escape both mommy and coach. You have made some strides presentation wise, now fix up the technical issues. IMO you need a new coach to fix the technical issues.

Early prediction for 2009 team : Rochette , Phaneuf

Dance:

Virtue/Moir: WOW. I can see you winning gold in Vancouver.

Weaver/Poje: chalk this year to transitioning. Hopefully the coaching change will pay dividends later.

McCurdy/Coreno: You represented us well.

Early prediction for 2009: Virtue/Moir , Crone/Poirier

Pairs:

All I could say is wow wow and wow. 2 medals at Worlds next year is not out of the question especially if Dube/Davision and/or Duhamel/Buntin start doing triple twists.

Early predictions for 2009 team in pairs: Same teams as this year.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Canada should be very proud. Your countrymen rocked at Worlds. Congratulations to my Canadian neighbors, your teams shined in every discipline and their hard work paid off.

Tigger

Final Flight
Well...I was the opposite of a post up further on in the thread. I can't explain it, but I had this....feeling going into these Worlds that something good was going to happen.

Even my instincts couldn't call this!! I am so completely and totally on Cloud Nine right now, it's not funny!!

Way to go Team Canada!!

Thank you for representing us w/pride, class and giving us performance we'll be watching again and again and again for years to come.

What a week!!! :biggrin:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Way to go team Canada. Yes, it's the "dream team" once again. After Toller, Karen Magnussen, Tracy Wilson and Rob McCall, Martini and Underhill there was Brian Orser, Elvis, Kurt, Bourne and Kraatz, Liz Manley, Jamie and David to carry on Canada's great history of producing Figure Skating champions. It took awhile to rebuild the team after all those great skaters left the scene, but I think they left their mark and inspiration for a new generation of Canadian figure skaters to follow.

Congratulations to Jeff, Virtue and Moir, Dube/Davsion and of course to Patrick Chan for making such a great debut. I am so happy for Jeff!!!!

Also want to mention Joannie - she skated well.

Last edited:

Tigger

Final Flight
Oh gosh...The grin hasn't left my face since Jeff's LP ended. :biggrin:

As soon as the coverage on the Main Network ended, I popped in one of my Great Big Sea live in concert DVD's and have been boppin and hoppin around the house ever since.

It's PARTY TIME!!! :biggrin:

kyla2

Final Flight
Congrats to Canada

Well, I am really glad to be an American but I would like to congratulate Canada anyway. Way to go. You should all be proud. V & M are something really special and Jeffrey Buttle did a great job.

Joanie has the potential to be a spectacular skater. She is in great shape.