Czisny: FB Post and Hip surgery | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Czisny: FB Post and Hip surgery

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Per IN, Czisny had her surgery today. IN's headline:

"Czisny feeling comfortable after successful surgery
Recovery from torn labrum in left hip should take up to four months"

Doesn't sound like she will be competing before nationals. Hopefully she comes back as strong as before!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Sweet tweet yesterday from Adam Rippon ‏@Adaripp:

So nice talking with ‪#AlissaCzisny‬ today.. Resting up and doing really well after her surgery. And pretty cute from all the meds, hahaha

6:17 PM - 6 Jun 12​

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Does someone know which moves caused this torn labrum? I thought I posted Q before... how did it likely happen-over extension in spirals? Any clues what she should not do again?

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Does someone know which moves caused this torn labrum? I thought I posted Q before... how did it likely happen-over extension in spirals? Any clues what she should not do again?

I'm 99% sure that the constant 3Lutz-3Toe and 2Axel-3Toe practices she tried to do all last season are what caused the injury. Her body type simply doesn't allow her to fully-rotate a 3Toe on the end of another Triple and when you don't fully rotate and come down short, your hip is grinding from the pressure of the blade turning on the ice as you complete the landing. In the case of the labrum, it's probably because she falls a lot on those jump attempts and landing on your shoulder is common when you're not in control and coming down sideways. She needs to stop trying to do those moves.

Last edited:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Thanks Blades for explanation. Is it even possible she will be back for Nationals? I just don't want to see her re-injure herself at this point-for what? I'll be happy to see a very easy skate from Alissa at Nationals. I don't think her fans care if she is remotely competitive. How many nationals has she graced? I will just be glad to see her skating nice basics with easy simpler jumps, looking happy and beautiful.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Isn't that what a SHOW is for?

Anyway, she's had a respectable career with many ups and downs. She has much to be proud of. So she could retire now with no real regrets...

Somehow I think she's going to try to make a run for Sochi though.

Last edited:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Really Blades? Do you think she will re-injure herself? I think Alissa is done, and I expect a nice swan song at Nationals so she can feel the love. With 4 months off the ice plus her nerves, what can we expect? I think she will retire after saying 'goodbye' to her fans at Nationals. I think she won't stand a chance against the other top 3 US ladies. Sadly, that, I think, was her last WC.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well I think it will be hard for her to make the world team with Ashley and then probably either a resurgent Mirai or Caroline or Gracie or one of the other Potential champs in the wings. She won't have a lot of time to practice. If Ashley and whoever earn three spots she might try for Sochi but with her past performances maybe it is time to show skate and go to school. To see her happy would be nice - well within reason it may not mean an OGM. It really looks like sochi will crown a lady who might just be on the rise (Gracie Gold or the Russian baby ballerinas)or who gets lucky after inconsistency problems ie. Kostner, Asada, Czisny, Nagasu,suzuki, nakano...Yuna and Joannie you might want to come back. You might still have a chance for a medal.

R.D.

Record Breaker
On her FB page Czisny said the surgery was done and she was headed back home. Included a pic with her on crutches

That's right! In fact, she skated in college-level games and was the national champion, wasn't she? I always was impressed that she had gotten her degree. There's no faulting her self-discipline. Knowing that she has a BA as well as her skating career makes me hope that she'll have a great second act after she finishes skating.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I was just watching Track and Field and US 100M sprinter Tyler Gay had the identical injury as Alissa, surgery last July, and won his heat today with a 10.00 time. With sprinting you really have no margin for racing with an injury, so I'm optimistic for Alissa to come back 100%. However, this was Gay's first meet since his surgery (50 weeks ago) and Alissa does not have the luxury of being out a year if she wants to compete at 2013 Worlds.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I was just watching Track and Field and US 100M sprinter Tyler Gay had the identical injury as Alissa, surgery last July, and won his heat today with a 10.00 time. With sprinting you really have no margin for racing with an injury, so I'm optimistic for Alissa to come back 100%. However, this was Gay's first meet since his surgery (50 weeks ago) and Alissa does not have the luxury of being out a year if she wants to compete at 2013 Worlds.

at least it would enable her to make a run for Sochi. She might be able to use the comeback clause to get 2 GP events if necessary.

I think she is best taking next season off- seriously. If she re-injures herself next season she is out for good.

Not to mention having her out of the running for the pre-Olympic worlds which determine critical Oly spots- you know, it can only help...

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
the clock would be ticking and unlike Tyson Gay ( I think that is who you mean) how you skate and land things or do things counts a lot. Yes, Tyson has to work on technique to run but Alyssa has to look good n o matter how she takes off on that jump etc. I hope it works out for her - didn't Michelle and Tara have issues and they never really came back (similar injuries)

noskates

Record Breaker
Alyssa is a beautiful young woman - graceful, gracious, etc. but I have always white-knuckled the armchair watching her. It seems like she's had a good skate about every 5th time out (this isn't factual -just guessing) and in between she self-destructs. I don't know whether it's a lack of focus, her nerves, or what, but I've never found it enjoyable to watch her. I'm always waiting for her to fall. I really hope that she retires and gets on with her life. It's hard enough to come back from hip surgery but she would be coming back to a history of less than stellar performances. Seeing her "live" in San Jose this year just was almost painful.

^ True, but have you ever seen a skater who keeps on trying like Alissa? She goes for every jump every time out, win or lose. She's the Little Engine That Could. ("And you can do 'most any-thing if you just think you can!" :) )