Daisuke Takahashi retires from competitive skating | Golden Skate

Daisuke Takahashi retires from competitive skating

ioanna

Record Breaker
Exactly 8 months after skating his last competitive program in Sochi, Daisuke Takahashi will announce his official retirement later today. He is going to attend an official event in his hometown Kurashiki and is set to say goodbye to competitive skating in front of everyone who supported him.

asahi.com has reported this news. His statement is yet to come.

I feel like his Beatles Medley is fit for this moment.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1dpa8j_daisuke-takahashi-fs_sport

Daisuke, thank you for everything.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
NOOOOO! :cry:

I wonder what prompted him to make the announcement now rather than wait until later?

Thanks for a great career, Daisuke!

jace93

On the Ice
NOOOOO! :cry:

I wonder what prompted him to make the announcement now rather than wait until later?

Thanks for a great career, Daisuke!

Probably he saw that his body ouldn't keep up anymore with competitive skating...

Many thanks for all the wonderful performance in this many years and good luck for a great pro career =)

Meoima

Match Penalty
For sure I know that Dai will have a great pro career. I hope he will be invited to international ice shows in Europe and NA.
Still crying in the corner, though. :cry:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
As a long time skating fan I have been through a lot of retirements but only a few skaters have
captured my heart and Dai-chan is at the top of that list.

Thank you Daisuke!

noskates

Record Breaker
I have to admit I was never a Dai fan.....until this year. His LP thoroughly captivated me. I thought he put more heart into it than any other time I've seen him. I'm sorry to see him retire but like was said, his body probably just could not take it anymore. He was always a gentleman and a good sport. I hope he finds something to do in retirement that will be as fulfilling to him as figure skating was.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Had a heart attack when I read the title, I knew it was coming and I was hoping he wouldn't push himself and retire but I am still sad, thanks for all the amazing skates Daisuke, I will always support him

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
:(

You know it is coming... you hope it is not happening, but it finally comes. Who will stand up for artistry (+ best hair on ice) now?
It was a great privilege to see him live, even if it was not one of his best skate with the blade troubles. The memory of passing by him in the hotel bar lounge including look at each other for brief few seconds will forever be a special memory for this skating fan. Good luck Dai, look forward to more interesting works now he has the freedom to express himself fully without COP constraints and politics of this sport. May be he will try Lambiel's path? Creating choreography? His own show? Wish him the very best, one of the greatest that will be sorely missed.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Not entirely unexpected news, but this still hits me with the force of a blow.

Daisuke is a skater who gives himself totally -- heart, body, and soul -- to his skating. As Sonia Bianchetti once describes his skating, "He is inside his music; he lives it and transmits his own feelings and emotions with each movement and through fabulous steps and step sequences." Later, she would mention him as one skater who under the present system of maximizing points still manages to convey passion and emotion in his programs. A very, very special skater and person as well.

Thank you Daisuke for taking us with you in your skating journey, for generously sharing so much of yourself on the ice. Wishing you all the best in the next chapter of your life.

unico

Final Flight
I know that for whatever he chooses to pursue, now that his amateur career is over, he will bring to it the same dedication, passion, and originality. Cheers to a brilliant skater and a brilliant man.

befreetofly

Spectator
This is my first post after being a lurker on here for the past few years. And who'd know that it'd be a post for Daisuke's retirement? :no:

It's really a bittersweet feeling. I've watched him since his hip-hop Swan Lake days and I feel really sad that he is leaving competitive skating. At the same time, I'm glad his body can now take a rest after pushing thru injury and tough training for quad jumps. Actually he's the only male skater that I watch and he will be sorely missed.

Thank you for a wonderful 7 years and all the breathtaking technical and artistic programs you've put out there! :bow:

*replays his gala skate to Love Letter in my head and mopes* (I can't replay it on Youtube as I'm at work now.)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
It is a wise decision which is now official. Takahashi had a brilliant competitive career unparalleled in Japan, a pioneer in several ways. He will have an equally brilliant show skating career, keeping himself in the hearts of many. Bravo and all the best!

Interspectator

Record Breaker
It's a terrible loss for competitive skating:cry:.
But for Daisuke, many opportunities await.
He will certainly be welcome in Ice Shows anywhere in the world, and maybe he can help design costumes, choreograph, mentor younger skaters, be a commentator and much more!

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
It is a wise decision which is now official. Takahashi had a brilliant competitive career unparalleled in Japan, a pioneer in several ways. He will have an equally brilliant show skating career, keeping himself in the hearts of many. Bravo and all the best!

Exactly, he will flourish as a pro the same way Stephane Lambiel has. I don't see this as a negative thing at all...all of my favorite skaters who retired have gone on to new and great things. Unless he's moving to a monastery or a remote island, I don't think it's the end of the world.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
This is my first post after being a lurker on here for the past few years. And who'd know that it'd be a post for Daisuke's retirement? :no:

It's really a bittersweet feeling. I've watched him since his hip-hop Swan Lake days and I feel really sad that he is leaving competitive skating. At the same time, I'm glad his body can now take a rest after pushing thru injury and tough training for quad jumps. Actually he's the only male skater that I watch and he will be sorely missed.

Thank you for a wonderful 7 years and all the breathtaking technical and artistic programs you've put out there! :bow:

*replays his gala skate to Love Letter in my head and mopes* (I can't replay it on Youtube as I'm at work now.)

Welcome to Goldenskate befreetfly! Post long and often and hope you find a skater you love as much as Dice-K! :)

Esopian

Final Flight
I wish him all the best! He seems a genuinely great guy who loves figure skating, we were lucky to be your audience and fan! :clap:

(Side note: it's not like this will be the last time we ever see him skate, ;))

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
:cry:

Thank you Daisuke for all the years of joy you have given us. I just wish it could have continued for many years to come. But you know your own body and what it can do, so I respect your decision to call it a day now rather than risk any further injury.

But, as a big fan of your's, it still would have been nice to see you with some more medals around your neck! Because, you are still more than capable of beating the rest! ;)

I wish him all the best! He seems a genuinely great guy who loves figure skating, we were lucky to be your audience and fan! :clap:

(Side note: it's not like this will be the last time we ever see him skate, ;))

Very good point, Esopian. The show scene has suddenly got a lot more exciting! :biggrin:

すべての将来の大輔さんのための最高の (I hope that has translated right!)

CaroLiza_fan