Dance - FD (finals)...wheeee!!!! | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Dance - FD (finals)...wheeee!!!!

Shanti

On the Ice
My 2 cents

If anyone cares, here're my random thoughts:

- I agree with the podium. I mean, I would really love to see Den/Sta there but with mistakes in the OD and not a perfect FD, well, it's just a pity *sigh*.

- :rock: to NavKos. I'm their huge fan, their lines are unmatched, she is an amazingly brilliant dancer and he managed to pull it together yesterday! :clap: Well done! Still I don't like their "Carmen". While it has really excellent choreography in terms of using every beat of music, I just don't get the very idea of "Happy Carmen". I didn't see happiness (I mean in the performance) and I didn't see drama either. Maybe I'm all about stereotypes but for me Carmen is all about emotions and intensity which I didn't see. That said, kudos to NavKos for winning the OGM fair and square and without provoking any major disagreement. :thumbsup: Who could've thought!

- I don't think Del/Schoes should be on podium. They have a creative and innovative FD (I don't like it, but to each their own ;) and I believe Tarasova and Averbukh that Oliver is the best male dancer right now (I'm in no teknik to have a qualified opinion), Averbukh said he didn't know how they did some things - yet I think it's the overall lack of elegance that doesn't let them win. I believe nice posture and elegance is essencial in ice dance. For this reason only I preferred G/G (their FD choreo is :sheesh: at best).

And once again:

Congratulations to all medallists!
Thanks to all teams that delivered great performances!

Nmsis

On the Ice
Poor DelSchoes...they have been severely judged all their career. I hope they find the strenght to stay another 4 years and delight us with those innovative and spectacular free dances!

I'm afraid they're not going to stay. I'm not sure we are going to see them again after the Worlds. It was real hard for them. Isabelle was in tears and the calm Olivier definitly had something in his voice that isn't usually there.

They have always taken technical risks, pushing every detail to the limit. They always looked for artistic perfection and innovation. They are 27 and 28 and will probably not go on until the next olympics.

On the dance podium, the free programs were:
- the overused Carmen, far from the brilliant and inovative Krylova-Ovsianikov's one
- a nice flamenco but far from Gwendal and Marina's gorgeous one
- and "the feelings begin", a total plagiat from Gritshuk and Platov's one (same choreographer)
Are those programs supposed to be olympic "remembered and cherished forever" programs ?

I know one thing. In ten years, I will not have any remembrance of those free dance. But I definitly will remember the ones from Del/Schoen and Den/Stav

Last edited:

bili

Rinkside
Reading this forum, I am wondering: is it just a coincidence that so many people here think that Denk&Stav and Del&Schoen were robbed? Of course there are going to be people who say that they looove N&K, but to me, the pre-planned podium is so obvious that last night I almost told myself that I am not going to watch an Ice-Dance competition ever again..
I just can't stand the fact that Denk&Stav and Del&Schoen are constantly robbed, whatever they do, even though they are IMO among the few couples (along with B&A) that they put their whole heart in what they do and their choreographies are always stunning and innovative and they actually mean something for crying out loud! I can't stand N&K's cautious skating and oldfashioned choices. The impact they have on the crowd is just superficial-they skate well enough for everyone to be pleased and happy and well enough to win themselves some good points and that's it - I am beginning to believe that the judges just don't get what the Bulgarians and the French are doing with their programs. (And I 'm not even thinking about the fact that the low scores are also the result of the Bulgarians being just Bulgarians and not Russian- doesn't anyone see that if N&K were let's say Armenian, they wouldn't even make the podium??).
Anyway, I am sorry for my angry post. I can't say I am sad, because I expected those exact same results, but, see, that is exactly the problem..

PS Other than those two I mentioned, I 've got to say that I loved the Kerrs and D&V. They just look amazing..

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
regarding Denkova/Stavyisky:

I don't always like what they do (tho I loved it tonight), but I have always had tremendous respect for the fact that even if they pull off a dance that I don't necessarily care for, their approach to it was very innovative and unlike anything else seen out there. Unlike dances that I don't care for simply because it's a bad variation of the same derivative crap that we've seen before over and over and over again, or because it's pure schlock, or because it's just way too out of left field, or because it's boring, or whatever. With D/S sometimes, with me, it's been like, "Well, I didn't especially care for that, but I'll grant there was a lot in there that had some merit." I'll admit that sometimes I just don't GET them.

This being said, tonight after seeing their fabulous free dance, I thought of something that Robert McCall (of Wilson & McCall) once said of Torvill & Dean (who, by the way, I had a similar attitude about): "They're fine art; the rest of us are paint by numbers."

I truly believe that if any dance couple out there today is fine art, it is Denkova & Staviysky.

bili

Rinkside
JonnyCoop said:
regarding Denkova/Stavyisky:

I don't always like what they do (tho I loved it tonight), but I have always had tremendous respect for the fact that even if they pull off a dance that I don't necessarily care for, their approach to it was very innovative and unlike anything else seen out there. Unlike dances that I don't care for simply because it's a bad variation of the same derivative crap that we've seen before over and over and over again, or because it's pure schlock, or because it's just way too out of left field, or because it's boring, or whatever. With D/S sometimes, with me, it's been like, "Well, I didn't especially care for that, but I'll grant there was a lot in there that had some merit." I'll admit that sometimes I just don't GET them.

This being said, tonight after seeing their fabulous free dance, I thought of something that Robert McCall (of Wilson & McCall) once said of Torvill & Dean (who, by the way, I had a similar attitude about): "They're fine art; the rest of us are paint by numbers."

I truly believe that if any dance couple out there today is fine art, it is Denkova & Staviysky.

I agree with every word of this.

I can see how some dances are not as good as others (I didn't care much for their Bach to Africa), but they are always so innovative and serious with what they do, you just can't miss it . I mean they are one of the few couples that have never given me the impression that they would just throw anything in their program, just to impress the crowd and jugdes. Everything that they do has a meaning and a reason behind it. And I love your copmarison to T&D. That was my thought exactly: IMO, Denk&Stav are the only couple who could ever live up to the glorious moment that was Bolero.

Nmsis

On the Ice
ladysarahchatto said:
The Americans hadn't gotten 'a nice medal' of any color in over 30 years. I think B & A deserved their silver. In fact, I don't have a problem with any of the placements at all.

The americans had no good ice dancers since I'm watching ice dance. That's why.

I think tanith and belbin are quite good. Their original dance was a treat and the US can be happy for them. But a french couple who would be that good would have to wait many years to be alowed to compete for the podium (yes, that's the way dance works, except for americans citizen). The fact that they are americans (with a huge federation in their back, a huge media pressure in THE country where figure skating makes money) eased up and speeded up their trip to glory.

And in this competition, the best weren't allowed to compete for the podium.

anast

Rinkside
The Americans were just lucky to have a silver medal with all mistakes Tanith did. And it was hardly Flamenco.
Poor French and Bulgarians, two couples who really skated good and innovative programs.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Nmsis said:
I think tanith and belbin are quite good. Their original dance was a treat and the US can be happy for them. But a french couple who would be that good would have to wait many years to be alowed to compete for the podium (yes, that's the way dance works, except for americans citizen). The fact that they are americans (with a huge federation in their back, a huge media pressure in THE country where figure skating makes money) eased up and speeded up their trip to glory.

This whole assertion is so outrageous I don't even know where to start. Do not even get me started on US Federation power vs. French federation power UP UNTIL THE TIME THE FRENCH FEDERATION GOT BUSTED IN SALT LAKE CITY.

Also, do not make me do a rundown of comparitive French dance results vs. American dance results from about 1987 till 2 or 3 years ago. The French have had a lot more good results in this department than the Americans have, and I do not for one minute believe that the French have been robbed in this category right and left and held down year after year. Yes, the French by and large have had better dancers. But, with the exception of the screw jobs that seem to be done on Deloebel & Schoenfelder the last few seasons, they've had some pretty good success.

Engwaciriel

On the Ice
If just looking at the free dance, the french actually did finish second, but they weren't on top in the CD, and that's what made them loose the medal. But of course it's going to suck to miss it with so small margin, but the couples on the podium didn't make any (major) mistakes. Den/Sta messed up the spin in the OD, and had two deductions in the free dance...a lot of points slipping away there..

Personally I just love Den/Sta and I'm happy they at lest finished 5th so we get to see them in the gala, but I think they're the kind of couple that you either love, or u just don't like at all. I had the opportunity to see their free dance at two different channels and on eurosport the commentators just loved them, and couldn't understand why they got so love scores, but on another one they didn't seem too impressed with their skating..

indiaskye1

Rinkside
I am glad to see that most people here are of the same opinion as me ...

The best Free Dance of the night was definetely the program of Albena Denkova & Maxim Staviski ... I don't care what the judges thought ... their "Adagio" program was the most beautiful ice dance program I have ever seen in my life!!! They were superior to the other couples in so many ways that it makes their 5th place finish a joke! Yes, I know that with that mistake in the OD they wouldn't have made it to the top of the podium anymore, anyway, but the fact that they didn't even medal is a scandal ...

And my two cents about some of the others ...

Drobiazko & Vanagas ... their "Phantom of the Opera" program was the other highlight of the night (next to D&S) ... absolutely gorgeous program!!!

Fusar-Poli & Margaglio ... did they honestly think for even one minute that they could win a Gold medal with THAT program? :rofl:

Vanessa

Trying to figure out how Dance is judged without sounding like my cynic old self , is not easy. I'll be quiet about my thoughts.

Joe

FreeKatie

On the Ice
I am by no means a dance expert but all the dance experts seemed to think the Russians and Tanith & Ben had the most difficult programs and all seemed to think Ben Agosto one of the best men in Ice Dancing, so I think even with little mistakes the silver was OK for them, just like I think the gold for Bereshnaya & Shikarilidze was OK because their program was more complicated than the Canadians Sale & Pelltier even though the russians had 1 little mistake. I certainly don't think being American has helped teams in Ice Dancing (just think of Renee Rocca & Gorsha Sur - they were an excellent team and were never able to move up in the rankings)

equestrianguy

On the Ice
The highlight in the Free Dance for me were the BUL, LIT and FRA teams. I thought they would be the ones fighting for the bronze. The Ukranians did "The Feeling Begins" which has been done a million times. I also thought their moves didn't relate to the music at all. I reallly enjoyed the BUL teams speed and dramatic lifts. Also, the French masqerade FD was lovely. I guess the Italian team are friends again? lol If I would have been Fuzar Poli's partner after the OD I would have smacked her! lol I can understand her disappointment, but that drama by her should have been off the ice and not infront of the entire world.

Mafke

Medalist
equestrianguy said:
I guess the Italian team are friends again? lol If I would have been Fuzar Poli's partner after the OD I would have smacked her! lol I can understand her disappointment, but that drama by her should have been off the ice and not infront of the entire world.

She's Italian, what do you expect? If you want sedate behavior watch a Swedish team. I for one salute her temprement (say what you will things aren't boring when she's around) and suspect that he gives as good as he gets.

Kirkbiggestfan

Rinkside
Nmsis said:
I'm afraid they're not going to stay. I'm not sure we are going to see them again after the Worlds. It was real hard for them. Isabelle was in tears and the calm Olivier definitly had something in his voice that isn't usually there.

I am afraid you're right. Unless the judges gives them fair marks at worlds..that is it. I am sure the French fed will beg them to stay like they did with Abitbol-Bernadis, but I am afraid they are too disgusted by the resluts at the moment.

Mafke

Medalist
The only free dance I enjoyed (only saw final group) was the French; constantly inventive and well performed (to my dance-ignorant eyes) and the only one that didn't have me mentally checking my watch. That and a couple of bucks will get you coffee.

From the Demolition Derby of the OD to the splendid FD, what a difference a day makes!

I loved the Dance podium--and I was even 2/3rds redeemed in my predicting skills. Okay, it wasn't hard after the OD. I had picked it to go:
1. Navka/Kosta
2. Belbin/Ben
3. Navka/Staviski--WRONG

Instead GRU/GON took the bronze, a much deserved one too, IMO. There were about four teams I liked for the bronze.

But Tanith and Ben, woo woo! They skated every part of the competition well except perhaps the compulsaries and even they said they let the comps get away from them. But most importantly, B/A learned from the experience. Smart, smart, smart.

Ben gets more handsome and sexier every time I see him dance. Yowsa! And with Tanith, I find the two of them just thrilling. Way...to...go, guys!

Though I'm heartbroken for Marie-France Dubreuil, especially, as well as Patrice Lauzon, about Tanith and Ben, I'm so happy I could just, well, dance! :chorus:

Rgirl

Kirkbiggestfan

Rinkside
I was very impressed by Dominina/Shabalin. Their lines are gorgeous and their choreography always very original.I would not be surprised if they are the 2010 Oly champions. After all, Navka/Kostomarov were only 10th in 2002. Russia will promote them like crazy from now on.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
I agree about Domnina/Shabalin. I thought they were terrific and should have been placed higher. They have great presentation, flow, line, and partnering. Domnina in particular is very expressive with her upper body and has beautiful posture. I think this team is going to be a force in years to come. I could easily see them challenging for a medal within a year or two.