Define Lambiel’s coaching style | Golden Skate

Define Lambiel’s coaching style

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Some probably think that he is a good addition to other top level coaches of today and some probably think that he isn't a top level coach yet... So, shall we talk about it?
How would you define Lambiel's coaching style and contribution to figure skating?

mrrice

Record Breaker
Some probably think that he is a good addition to other top level coaches of today and some probably think that he isn't a top level coach yet... So, shall we talk about it?
How would you define Lambiel's coaching style and contribution to figure skating?
I'll tell you what I like so much about Lambiel. His students love him. The way Deniss seems to love and respect him cannot be faked. Plus, he has the best smile.

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
I'll tell you what I like so much about Lambiel. His students love him. The way Deniss seems to love and respect him cannot be faked. Plus, he has the best smile.
He seems less successful with Women (Rika Kihira and Alexia Paganini left hastily). I have read a rumour that the off-ice training was too hard for them, I don't know if it's true.

sadya

On the Ice
Country
Netherlands
I don't say much about skaters often, because I don't want their crazy fans to pay attention to me. Sometimes I will make a comment, cautiously, as I will now.

I think the school of Lambiel has improved and will probably be better in the future. I was one of the people who thought he isn't there yet, but last year I began changing my mind and this year I know, the school is progressing already. He has learnt a lot about being a better coach.

Why was my opinion negative? I saw a piece about this school, with an interview with Vasiliev when he was younger. Vasiliev remarked he didn't like studying and didn't really try and was only busy with skating. And I wondered how his parents felt. I have 2 children from around his age and I worried a lot about their future. (My worries are gone now, as my children are both about to finish their educations and have good jobs in fields they are passionate about.) So how did the parents of Vasilive feel about their son not being interested in studying, not even in trying it seemed? Was he just joking in that interview? Was he serious? If so, why wasn't Lambiel teaching him that he should also think about his future after his competition days were over? Even if he stays in skating in any capacity, he has to earn degrees to able to hold that function, whatever it would be. In that piece, that school seemed more like a fun house, a party place, than a serious school. Perhaps it was wrong of me to make assumptions based on a fluff piece on YouTube, but what I saw did cause doubt, was Lambiel really doing what was in the best interest of his pupils?

And then Uno went to that school. He didn't stay in the tough training environment of Tutberidze. I was having doubts about her school too, but I wasn't sure if those were any more legit than my doubts about the school of Lambiel (yes, I know, especially now . . . ). At that time, it seemed like Uno stayed with Lambiel because perhaps it really was a fun house type of place, instead of really working and studying and striving for serious future goals. After all, he left the group of Tutberidze early who was known for giving hard en difficult lessons. Did he stay with Lambiel because it was less hard work and more fun? I doubted that the school of Lambiel would improve the skating of Uno and would he stop studying too and just have fun without thinking about his future after his skating days?

I was wrong of course. The skating of Uno has improved and even though I don't really like R & J programs at all, I did watch Vasiliev skate in competition and his skating improved too (I hope to see programs from him next season which won't hurt both my eyes and my ears). Lambiel is becoming a better coach (what he wore in later years, did stop hurting my eyes so there is hope for Vasiliev), and who knows, maybe Vasiliev will spend more time studying, is perhaps already doing that. I guess the school is not that bad and with experience, I'm sure Lambiel will make it a better school.

Also about Vasiliev, it seemed in the first years of his time with Lambiel, that he wasn't developing his own style. It seemed like Lambiel said 'this works for me, you do that' instead of letting him find his own style, his own voice. It does seem in the past few seasons that he is improving on that too. Perhaps Vasiliev just needed time to find his own voice and style.

I'm cautious about remarks about coaches too btw, as I'm not an expert (and certainly not a skater, my childhood dream was just to skate in ponds, each winter we did that with school and my parents never allowed me to participate, I just walked on the ice while other children skated, so my life long dream was simple skating on ice, and I did that, but a real skater I am not and will not pursue that either). We often think even coaches with a lot of experience are doing something wrong. We forget how difficult coaching actually is.

A coach has to know how each pupils body works, because each human needs a different kind of training and diet, as all our bodies work in unique ways. A coach also has to know something about psychology, to help pupils deal with all kinds of pressure, and know how to deal with injuries, etc. There is so much more to coaching than we can imagine. I feel sometimes spectators and fans are very quick and easy to say that everything is the fault of a coach, when there is a lot more going on. Of course, it really depends on each unique situation. Sometimes the coach is bad, sometimes the pupil, sometimes they're all terrible people.

DenissVFan

Medalist
Why was my opinion negative? I saw a piece about this school, with an interview with Vasiliev when he was younger. Vasiliev remarked he didn't like studying and didn't really try and was only busy with skating. And I wondered how his parents felt. I have 2 children from around his age and I worried a lot about their future. (My worries are gone now, as my children are both about to finish their educations and have good jobs in fields they are passionate about.) So how did the parents of Vasilive feel about their son not being interested in studying, not even in trying it seemed? Was he just joking in that interview? Was he serious? If so, why wasn't Lambiel teaching him that he should also think about his future after his competition days were over? Even if he stays in skating in any capacity, he has to earn degrees to able to hold that function, whatever it would be. In that piece, that school seemed more like a fun house, a party place, than a serious school. Perhaps it was wrong of me to make assumptions based on a fluff piece on YouTube, but what I saw did cause doubt, was Lambiel really doing what was in the best interest of his pupils?
Deniss is actually known for his intellectual curiosity and he talks about expanding his knowledge and makes references to philosophy and history all the time (see here for example: https://drive.google.com/file/d/14XdElEhqVwHUCbWS3dZUBpovKTgUqb44/view). He's also graduating from university this year.

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
He seems less successful with Women (Rika Kihira and Alexia Paganini left hastily). I have read a rumour that the off-ice training was too hard for them, I don't know if it's true.
I'm not a close follower of either of them so I don't know the precise timeline of their training with Lambiel and what where other factors involved.

Diana Nikitina left because of an injury and financial problems but I don't know the details. (She has good ties with Latvian media so these details are probably available somewhere but I haven't find out yet.)

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
Also, students will come and go from great coaches too... sometimes, one just needs a new environment, it doesn't necessarily always mean that the coach or the school were bad...
For Rika Kihira, anyway, it was not her first choice, she was to go to TCC, then she couldn't enter Canada because of the border restrictions, so she went to Champéry but it was a part time arrangement with Mie Hamada. I don't know if that sort of part time arrangement can work.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
For Rika Kihira, anyway, it was not her first choice, she was to go to TCC, then she couldn't enter Canada because of the border restrictions, so she went to Champéry but it was a part time arrangement with Mie Hamada. I don't know if that sort of part time arrangement can work.
i think part time arrangements can work with mature skaters with a good technique... It's like learning music.. at first, get a good mentor for several years... when you are advanced and knowledgeable enough, benefit from what others can help you with.

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Interesting to hear, as one of our talented Junior boys went to his coaching school (though was always seen with the other coaches not Stephane himself) and after training the 3Axel he was left with a very serious knee injury, and had to take a year off to rehab. He has come back as a Pair Skater instead and now trains in Scotland.

But no doubt Stephane's had a very successful season as a Coach.

I would imagine that the aspects of skating that set Lambiel apart are hard to teach. "No, no, no -- be more musical" On the tech side, Stephane never mastered a reliable triple Axel, but lots of coached seem to be able to teach jump technioque without bhaving been great technitcians themselves. (He did have a solid quad toe.)

As for the question of whether a skating coach should assume the responsibilty of encouraging his students to study hard in school, prepare for a successful life after skating, etc. -- I thik it can be argued that this is the job of a parent, not a coach.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
As for the question of whether a skating coach should assume the responsibilty of encouraging his students to study hard in school, prepare for a successful life after skating, etc. -- I thik it can be argued that this is the job of a parent, not a coach.
not so sure about that... young athletes are very impressionable. As a mentor, I always tell my kids about the importance of being well educated and knowledgeable about so many different things in life. Coaches not only develop athletes but human beings. This include school and education but could also be in what we seem to see in Lambiel's positive and smiling attitude.

He apparently coaches as the son of Helga Hufflepuff.
For those readers who are not up on their Harry Potter :) , Helga Hufflepuff was one of the original founders of the Hogwarts School of Wizardry. She was distinguished from the other founders in that it was her policy to treat all students equally, whatever their level of talent. The other teachers had their favorite students who received most of their time and attention.

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
I saw a piece about this school, with an interview with Vasiliev when he was younger. Vasiliev remarked he didn't like studying and didn't really try and was only busy with skating. And I wondered how his parents felt. I have 2 children from around his age and I worried a lot about their future. (My worries are gone now, as my children are both about to finish their educations and have good jobs in fields they are passionate about.) So how did the parents of Vasilive feel about their son not being interested in studying, not even in trying it seemed? Was he just joking in that interview?
Yes, he was just joking in that interview! He had to do a bit of travelling between Switzerland and Latvia to finish his school but he managed and got excellent marks as far as I know.

If anybody is still worried, here is a lovely interview from 2016 Rostelecom Cup with him and Lambiel where Deniss confirms in English that he has done all his tests and tells more about his favorite reading and interests. And he dubs Stephane Captain Zebra :biggrin:

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I still don't quite understand why we are picking out one coach to evaluate here....:scratch2:.

Lambiel is fine all-around coach with skills and artistry. Let's just say "he gets it," being a master of artistry himself when he had competitive career. I love what he has done with Uno and Vasiljevs.

Also, side note on other conversation going on in this thread. I'll just say this: It is very important for coach to be a main encouragement towards other aspects of your life and future (Education, etc) when they are the person you see the most. I had excellent coaches who encouraged life outside of skating, learning other skills and education; and while I was very self motivated already in those things, and due to my parents, I am still grateful for the coaches supporting and encouraging that as well as success in the sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.