Did the ISU make an anti stuffie rule? | Golden Skate

Did the ISU make an anti stuffie rule?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I noticed Autumn Classic and Osaka JGP not allowing stuffies. However, Asian Trophy and JGP Bangkok and Istanbul either allowed them or broke the rule because they definitely had them.

It would definitely make attending comps much less fun and lessen the amount of comps I went to. I know USFS is it's own thing, not an ISU comp and they can do what they want. So hopefully they will allow stuffies.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I noticed Autumn Classic and Osaka JGP not allowing stuffies. However, Asian Trophy and JGP Bangkok and Istanbul either allowed them or broke the rule because they definitely had them.

It would definitely make attending comps much less fun and lessen the amount of comps I went to. I know USFS is it's own thing, not an ISU comp and they can do what they want. So hopefully they will allow stuffies.
I have never seen stuffies allowed at ACI nor CQÉ in Pierrefonds... So it's probably just the venues' rules.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Agreed - I went back and checked the pre-covid ACI videos with Yuzuru (because at that time the Pooh rains were increasingly commonplace) and there was a large crowd but no rain.
Of course. I always speak the truth ;) You should know by now :devil:
Last time I went to ACI in Pierrefonds, they had a drop off box to leave things to skaters. Of course, that means I did see Yuzuru skate live. That was pre covid. Don't know if they are still doing this.

Last edited:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The boxes may (almost certainly were?) also have been discouraged during the pandemic, I don't know, and both may take a while to build back up again.

I do recall that some attendees at competitions tweeted pictures of special shaped and iced (in the most famous or current costumes) cookies that Japanese fans especially gave out to fellow fans, though that probably also wasn't encouraged during lockdown. Pity, it was adorable.

Magill

Record Breaker
Of course. I always speak the truth ;) You should know by now :devil:
Last time I went to ACI in Pierrefonds, they had a drop off box to leave things to skaters. Of course, that means I did see Yuzuru skate live. That was pre covid. Don't know if they are still doing this.
We believe you but, you know, a little fact checking never hurts, especially if it gives a good excuse to re-watch some old vids of Yuzuru skating ;)

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Finland did not allow them last season but now it is clearly said at Finlandia Trophy's FAQ that flowers and plushies to skaters are allowed.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
The boxes may (almost certainly were?) also have been discouraged during the pandemic, I don't know, and both may take a while to build back up again.
ACI wasn't hosted in Pierrefonds since the pandemic. It's the first time back. So it's not stuffies that were nixed but skating altogether in Pierrefonds. In any case, I will let you know when I get there today.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
While it's sweet to see a couple of gifts, it does strike me as a bit wasteful/not environmentally friendly to see loads of gifts thrown on the ice.

Many skaters donate the stuffies to places like children's hospitals (I know Jason Brown does, or did pre COVID. I believe Yuzuru did). Skaters who don't get a lot of praise or attention actually keep them.

In the grand scheme of things, I don't think it's that wasteful and skaters like it, so as I drive around in my 14 year old Prius, I'm cool with it. :)

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Like @el henry says, the skaters that get a lot of the stuffies, usually give them to children who otherwise aren't so lucky with the playthings (whether it's a hospital or otherwise). Any smile by a child who otherwise would not, is a gem. I would never call that wasteful! And those Figure skaters that just get a few or maybe just one: I wouldn't think that wasteful either. They are so pleased!

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Many skaters donate the stuffies to places like children's hospitals (I know Jason Brown does, or did pre COVID. I believe Yuzuru did). Skaters who don't get a lot of praise or attention actually keep them.

In the grand scheme of things, I don't think it's that wasteful and skaters like it, so as I drive around in my 14 year old Prius, I'm cool with it. :)
I was just about to say all these things. Jason films his giving of the plushies to the kids and people look and see if they can spot their gifts; it is adorable.
Covid is not spread by touching surfaces.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Like @el henry says, the skaters that get a lot of the stuffies, usually give them to children who otherwise aren't so lucky with the playthings (whether it's a hospital or otherwise). Any smile by a child who otherwise would not, is a gem. I would never call that wasteful! And those Figure skaters that just get a few or maybe just one: I wouldn't think that wasteful either. They are so pleased!
Donovan packed my goose (it was the only thing I had) up in his bags, so he took it somewhere (referring to, I believe, 2019 Philly International). I'm sure if I'm wrong with the year @el_henry will help me:)

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was just about to say all these things. Jason films his giving of the plushies to the kids and people look and see if they can spot their gifts; it is adorable.
Covid is not spread by touching surfaces.

I know that, but that doesn't mean the hospitals were accepting plushies then. I was using it as a "time delineation".

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know that, but that doesn't mean the hospitals were accepting plushies then. I was using it as a "time delineation".
I wonder what the hospitals are doing now. The one local to me is not requiring masks.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Donovan packed my goose (it was the only thing I had) up in his bags, so he took it somewhere (referring to, I believe, 2019 Philly International). I'm sure if I'm wrong with the year @el_henry will help me:)

Yes, it was and he did. It was so heartwarming to see on his bag.

As well as @iluvtodd yelling "El Patito" so he would see it. :biggrin: