Does the fact that Michelle is without an OGM ruin her image/legacy? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Does the fact that Michelle is without an OGM ruin her image/legacy?

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
It certainly has NOT ruined Michelle's image-not winning Olympic gold-no more than it 'ruined' Janet Lynn. Both skaters are revered especially by the fans of their respective generations that remember them.

Michelle won Worlds so many times that I am sure mostly casual skating fans will believe she actually DID win Olympic gold.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And the three times when the eyes of the world were on her, they saw her fall short. They're going to remember her as the athlete who choked when it counted. No matter how you spin it, it's not a plus for Ms. Kwan's legacy.

I totally disagree. Michelle didn't have three shots at the Olympics; she had two. And in 1998, she skated two perfect programs. That is not choking. 2002 was unfortunate, but I would still rather watch her performance, even with the fall, than Irina's or Sarah's. There is a case to be made that she should have won in 2002, too. And in 2006, she was injured. Do you call that "choking?" I don't.

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
Actually, I think the reason Michelle Kwan is considered one of the great contemporary skaters is because she did not win the OGM. I always wondered if she would have retired in 1998 if she won the OGM. If she did, she'd be like Yamaguchi who was a beautiful skater with a rather short career. I'm very sure that if Michelle had won the OGM in 2002, we wouldn't have had the pleasure of watching programmes like Aranjuez or Tosca, and what a loss that would be!

Winning the OGM is huge, but what Michelle managed to do for the span of her career was enough to create a legacy that so many skating fans look up to.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
No, many great skaters never win an Olympic gold medal - it does not diminish their contributions nor greatness in the skating world. Michelle joins the ranks of many skaters who missed the holy grail of skating.

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
actually, i think the reason michelle kwan is considered one of the great contemporary skaters is because she did not win the ogm. I always wondered if she would have retired in 1998 if she won the ogm. If she did, she'd be like yamaguchi who was a beautiful skater with a rather short career. I'm very sure that if michelle had won the ogm in 2002, we wouldn't have had the pleasure of watching programmes like aranjuez or tosca, and what a loss that would be!

Winning the ogm is huge, but what michelle managed to do for the span of her career was enough to create a legacy that so many skating fans look up to.

ita

seniorita

Record Breaker
No it doesnt.
From my part, as a selfish fan I would think it is better cause we wouldnt see her amazing performances after 1998 or 2002 if she had won.
But I think from her part and being the skater she was, it must be a tiny grey spot in her heart that she didnt win it. It is human feelings and- being such an athlete- totally justified ones.
But she has no reason to feel that way, she has two olympic medals and she is OC in people's hearts so maybe that counts more at the end.
Thats how I feel about Irina too.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No, many great skaters never win an Olympic gold medal - it does not diminish their contributions nor greatness in the skating world. Michelle joins the ranks of many skaters who missed the holy grail of skating.

:agree:

No OGM for MK? Not at all!

schiele

Final Flight
Actually, I think the reason Michelle Kwan is considered one of the great contemporary skaters is because she did not win the OGM. I always wondered if she would have retired in 1998 if she won the OGM. If she did, she'd be like Yamaguchi who was a beautiful skater with a rather short career. I'm very sure that if Michelle had won the OGM in 2002, we wouldn't have had the pleasure of watching programmes like Aranjuez or Tosca, and what a loss that would be!

Winning the OGM is huge, but what Michelle managed to do for the span of her career was enough to create a legacy that so many skating fans look up to.

:agree::agree::agree:

Nadia01

Final Flight
No.

I also believe Michelle stuck around longer b/c she didn't have the OGM.

If she'd retired after Nagano, it would've been tragic for figure skating and for us fans.

Michelle is the goddess of figure skating. In Korea, for example, fans call Yuna "Queen" but the media, fans, etc. all refer to Michelle as "legend".

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
No:no:

Michelle has a ledgendary impact on Figure Skating. She has given skating fans masterful programs and wonderful memories. Gracious in victory and defeat. And remember current skaters are winning the " Michelle Kwan Trophy":rock::bow: I still think she won in Nagano.....

nubka

Final Flight
If Kwan had won the OGM, she probably never would have gone on to end world hunger, cure the common cold, take over for Mother Theresa, become president of the United States, record a hit record, launched her own line of black clothing (with Evan,) taken over the Oprah show when Oprah retired, ended global warming, AND ensured world peace forever....:agree:

I guess we are all pretty lucky that she didn't win it. :clap:

prettykeys

Medalist
If Kwan had won the OGM, she probably never would have gone on to end world hunger, cure the common cold, take over for Mother Theresa, become president of the United States, record a hit record, launched her own line of black clothing (with Evan,) taken over the Oprah show when Oprah retired, ended global warming, AND ensured world peace forever....:agree:

I guess we are all pretty lucky that she didn't win it. :clap:
Oh, we have another one with a poking stick! ;)

I don't believe that Michelle's legacy is ruined, but perhaps the image or impression some people have of her is of "one who got nervous", or "unlucky". Furthermore, I do feel an OGM would have been a cherry on the sundae--not necessary for her legendary status, but something that adds that finishing touch, that extra bit of affirmation, a little more completeness. I am not saying that what she gave wasn't enough, but I do believe the OGM would have added to what she has. Especially at 2002, since we could have had the best of both worlds (OGM and long Michelle career.)

I watched a segment about Tiger Woods today. Now, there's a ruined image and a ruined legacy. I therefore suggest that the original thread question be reworded. Instead of the verb ruin, why not use affect? Because nothing Michelle has ever done or left undone could come anywhere near ruining what she's achieved.

Now that that's settled, I will say that I seriously doubt that the lack of an OGM will dent her legacy or image. People who barely know skating don't remember gold medalists any more than they remember non-gold medalists. Depending on their age, they probably know Peggy Fleming, Janet Lynn, and maybe Kristi. Oh, yes...and Tonya and Nancy. I'm sure if you asked such a casual viewer who Sarah Hughes was, he or she would say, "Who?" Actual skating fans, on the other hand, will remember Michelle, because they know what they're looking at when they see her skate. They don't need a panel of judges to tell them whom to admire more, her or some other skater on a higher step on the podium. Do we revere Chen Lu or Midori Ito less because they don't have a gold medal? We know how to hold more than one idea in our heads. We can admire a bunch of skaters at once, for different reasons.

I return to the analogy that helps me the most. Who is the more immortal actress, Greta Garbo or Luise Rainer? What's that, you say? The incomparable Garbo versus some no-name I've never heard of? Well, Rainer won two Oscars. Garbo won none. By all means, let's revise our list of forever-and-ever icons and put Rainer near the top, right up there with Bette Davis and Katharine Hepburn. Jettison that loser Garbo! No? Well...I can see why you wouldn't.

...I therefore suggest that the original thread question be reworded. Instead of the verb ruin, why not use affect?....

Quite. When a poster uses provocative language like that it is sometimes hard to tell if that person is a troll or just inexperienced.

prettykeys

Medalist
Quite. When a poster uses provocative language like that it is sometimes hard to tell if that person is a troll or just inexperienced.
On the contrary, I feel that the way it was worded makes it hard to say "yes" without being cast as very unreasonable. Olympia's wording would make the topic much more amenable to discussion. :p

^ The most common trick goes like this. Start a thread titled, "Why do so many people think that Kevin Van Der Perren is a no-talent imposter and a stuck-up snob to boot, plus his wife has terrible taste in clothes? I certainly don't."

Then just sit back and chuckle at the responses, whatever they may be. Oh, well. :laugh:

prettykeys

Medalist
Oh, is that what you think you may be seeing? :p Actually, I think this one was innocent. It's a carry-over from another thread (the Extraordinary Pressures/Performances one). See thread-starter's last post over there. ;)

Although, I know what you are referring to, and it wouldn't be the first time I'd be seeing something like that. :p

jennylovskt

Medalist
I am so amazed at how fast any thread related to Kwan would generate even after almost four years she has left the scene.:clap: