Does the fact that Michelle is without an OGM ruin her image/legacy? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Does the fact that Michelle is without an OGM ruin her image/legacy?

fairly4

Medalist
Michelle's fans will be the only ones who remember her.

the media if you haven't noticed as well as the usfa is making sure in future references SHE will be forgotten-she isn't on any list from the media and future generations only go by the media list-not by fan list.
so all what michelle has done will be forgotten.
snide remark-just what the IOC, Usfsa--all of a sudden rachel is ambassdor skater of future why-take over from michelle so we can forget her as well as the meida stating-see--michelle didn't do anything for skating, Usoc, and ISU wants. as well as the canadians-
see the reason why kurt is remember is at least the canadian media remember him.
the us media forgets michelle and don't think anything about it.

MICHELLE DIDN"T choke and she did get up right after the fact in 2002,
like i stated early race/politics plays a big part in winning the ogm
fact white skaters get benefit of doubt-chinese american don't.-they get nitpicked
in fact the usfsa hates it when i ***** about what is wrong -why they don't want to fix it just forget it and have someone else takes their place.
that is why sasha got 2nd in 2006 after a fall/ hand down/stumble and michelle got 3 . sasha didn't fight-she just skated in 2006.
i can go on-but the more i talk the more upset i get.

mskater93

Record Breaker
fairly4, if you are so unhappy with US Figure Skating, why not join a club as a non-skating member, get on the club's board of directors and be named as a delegate to Governing Council so you can voice your opinions?

That's a good response, Mathman! And we have proof that she'll be remembered--look at how many of us invoke the name of Janet Lynn, all these years afterward, and she never won a single international gold. But the quality of her skating makes her unforgettable, as Michelle will be, I'm sure.

Fairly4, I have not gotten the same impression at all about racism in skating. Especially in recent years, Asian skaters, either in Asia or here in North America, have been at the top of the podium in just about all the disciplines. Examples in North America: Kyoko Ina in pairs, Patrick Chan, Kristi, Michelle, Naomi Nari Nam, Caroline Zhang, Mirai Nagasu, and the upcoming Christina Gao. Japan dominates the world podium in both men's and ladies' disciplines. China has given us practically every current top world-class pair. And of course there's Kim of Korea. The really important part of this is that many of these skaters are admired and even revered by fans in other countries, not just by patriotic fans from their own homelands. For example, look at the thrilled reception Shen and Zhao have gotten during their comeback this year, and the admiration with which people follow Kim and Mao Asada.

The way I see it, there are plenty of things to get upset about in this world in terms of human relations, but at the moment, the position of Asians in figure skating is a bright spot and an indicator of progress. I admit that I'm not an expert on how skating is administered behind the scenes, but what I see in terms of rankings and judging gives me great hope.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Fairly4, I have not gotten the same impression at all about racism in skating. Especially in recent years, Asian skaters, either in Asia or here in North America, have been at the top of the podium in just about all the disciplines. Examples in North America: Kyoko Ina in pairs, Patrick Chan, Kristi, Michelle, Naomi Nari Nam, Caroline Zhang, Mirai Nagasu, and the upcoming Christina Gao. Japan dominates the world podium in both men's and ladies' disciplines. China has given us practically every current top world-class pair. And of course there's Kim of Korea. The really important part of this is that many of these skaters are admired and even revered by fans in other countries, not just by patriotic fans from their own homelands. For example, look at the thrilled reception Shen and Zhao have gotten during their comeback this year, and the admiration with which people follow Kim and Mao Asada.

I think it is something about the build and discipline of the asian skaters that make them so great at figure skating (and most other sports). All the Asian figure skaters are so physically strong but still light. American and European athletes are simply built differently and are naturally heavier.

Yuna Kim is 5'5" and weighs 103 pounds (and I'm assuming Mao and Miki are probably similar) and looks like a healthy, beautiful woman whereas an 19 year old American lady of the same height and weight would probably look pre-pubescent or dangerously thin. Puberty does not seem to hit the Asians as hard as everyone else (look what happened to Kimmie Meissner) so they are able (for the most part) to maintain their excellence well into the 20s.

The other part to this idea is training, it seems like the asian skaters really focus on their training first, and everything else second. Most of the Americans are in full-time highschool or difficult colleges and that automatically divides their attention and focus.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
hmmmm... try as I might I can't forget Michelle Kwan... the name, or the legacy...

and I'm definitely NOT a fan...

shoot I'm not a fan of the sport of Golf and I know who Tiger Woods is and that he's a pretty big deal (I think he's overrated, but whatev)

I'm not a fan of swimming, and I know who Michael Phelps is (and that he did some pretty impressive stuff at the last olympic games)

Agassi - I knew who he was well before the controversial book

The Williams sisters (not a fan, but I know who they are and what they're known for)

I can keep going on. yeah, they're not way back in sports history, but they're not forgotten either...

As for Kurt - he's still very much a part of skating. Commentator, Choreographer and *gasp* SKATER... he hasn't fully retired from it. Michelle hasn't done much (she skated once this year and not here at home) skating wise... and NBC is dangling a carrot to get her involved in the commentary... bringing her in at worlds and letting her ramble on. I personally don't think she's ready to be a commentator (I'd have her take some courses in it first), but she doesn't seem to really feel it to be her calling either. She's busy being a diplomat. and she is still in teh news in that field...

and yeah Rachel's the youth ambassador because she's 1. younger than Michelle and 2. she's freaking skating/competing as an olympic hopeful... DUH!

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Good post Toni. :thumbsup:

I do disagree with your first two sentences, because you know I love the Kween. lol.

seniorita

Record Breaker
That's almost everybody. :)

:laugh::laugh::laugh: that was good one!

well it took me an hour to alternate the original but :biggrin: voila, christmas gift!

tryf.gif

MKFSfan

Medalist
No, I don't think your stance killed anything. In fact I think it was a good way to show how lasting Michelle's legacy really is, if a non-fan can't forget her!

I don't have a problem with Rachael being named youth ambassador-she is a great role model; straight A student with huge aspirations for her future, plus she is an Olympic team hopeful. If anyone has a problem with it, it may be more because they feel it's a sudden title since she hasn't claimed a spot on the team yet. What does any of that have to do with Michelle, or being a Michelle fan? If you are referring to the post of a rather angry poster I wouldn't hold much stock that what is said represents the legions of MK fans.

janetfan

Match Penalty
No, I don't think your stance killed anything. In fact I think it was a good way to show how lasting Michelle's legacy really is, if a non-fan can't forget her!

I don't have a problem with Rachael being named youth ambassador-she is a great role model; straight A student with huge aspirations for her future, plus she is an Olympic team hopeful. If anyone has a problem with it, it may be more because they feel it's a sudden title since she hasn't claimed a spot on the team yet. What does any of that have to do with Michelle, or being a Michelle fan? If you are referring to the post of a rather angry poster I wouldn't hold much stock that what is said represents the legions of MK fans.

I enjoyed toni's post and thought she made some good points.

As to Rachael - I didn't know about it - but everything I have read about her seems to show she is an outstanding young lady with all of the qualities a country would want from a youth ambassador.

Seeing her skate and how well she competes and handles herself just reinforces my feelings that she is a deserving youth ambassador for skating, the Olympics and her country.

And besides, Sasha is too old and Michelle is already an ambassador :yes:

It's no surprise that I'm a Kwan fan. That has no influence on the fact that I'm thrilled to know that there's someone like Rachael in figure skating. She's a wonderful exemplar of that great species, the scholar athlete. If only there were more of them, in all sports! (I've said here before how greatly I regret that Tara Lipinski never went to college, and how pleased I am about both Hughes sisters and of course Michelle.) How wonderful that she's been named a youth ambassador. The fact that she isn't yet a senior champion is irrelevant to such an honor. (Besides, wasn't she the Junior World Champion?) My philosophy about athletes contributing something to society at large is, the more the merrier!

I hope that in a few weeks, Rachael will indeed have the credential of a gold medal, but even if she doesn't, she's still a great choice as a youth ambassador. And perhaps she'll get her medal next year!

MKFSfan

Medalist
Thank you janetfan and Olympia for eloquently saying what I feel about Rachael and her appointment as Youth Ambassador. For all her talents, she is a great choice. As saddened as I am that the Kwan Era in eligible FS has came to an end, I am also enjoying the current Ladies and hope most of them stay on towards the next quad to the 2014 Games.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

I was joking, I meant that I shocked some of the longstanding kwan fan members that I have voiced so positively the impact in skating Michelle has left. :laugh:

janetfan

Match Penalty
I was joking, I meant that I shocked some of the longstanding kwan fan members that I have voiced so positively the impact in skating Michelle has left. :laugh:

It is interesting that when I think of Scott and Kurt I remember two wonderful skaters who had long Pro careers and who both work in broadcasting.

I really never think about who won what - and Kurt still feels to me like one of the all-time greats. Years from now Michelle will be remembered as one of the all-time greats same as Kurt.

When thinking of medals we only have to think back to Tara and Sarah. Twenty years from now they will be listed in the record books as OGM winners - but I don't think their legacy will ever compare to Kurt or Michelle.

chrissy51

Rinkside
I think to most of her fans it won't matter, but I think to Michelle there will always be a little empty hole in her soul.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think to most of her fans it won't matter, but I think to Michelle there will always be a little empty hole in her soul.

Perhaps but I get the feeling she has moved on. She knows Gold isn't everything.

The ultimate step for her to do this is to show up at the Olys as part of NBC's broadcast team

janetfan

Match Penalty
Perhaps but I get the feeling she has moved on. She knows Gold isn't everything.

The ultimate step for her to do this is to show up at the Olys as part of NBC's broadcast team

Is Michelle going to be working for NBC in Vancouver?
I haven't heard any announcement about it.......

I did read that Kristi will be in Vancouver working for NBC.

It might be interesting if Michelle was there and Sasha was skating......;)

Maybe we could finaly hear the truth about whether Sasha really tried to headbutt Michelle during a warmup :laugh:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Is Michelle going to be working for NBC in Vancouver?
I haven't heard any announcement about it.......

No confirmation. Personally I could do without her, but they could bring her in (again) for ratings and a "familiar face"