Does this mean Abbott is done? | Golden Skate

Does this mean Abbott is done?

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
"jabbott2014
7 hours ago
The Olympics have officially come to a close. As I head to the airport I am filled with a million emotions. I am devastated that I will never see the olympics again as an athlete. I am awed that I got to experience TWO! I'm humbled by the outpouring of love I have recieved. I'm grateful for the undying support you've given me. Fearful as I head into the unknown before me, yet excited for what the future will bring. Thank you all for always standing strong at my back and giving me the strength to stand up whenever I fall my hardest! This may not be the legacy I had dreamt I would leave, but it's one I am proud of. This is my story and I will share it unapologetically forever. With Japan looming on the horizon and my competitive career coming to a close I am excited to do it the way I always have. With passion. With excitement. With a little bit of fear, and an overwhelming love for the sport of figure skating. I can't properly express my gratitude to those who held me up from day one and to those of you who have joined along the way! Thank you for a wonderful, strange, awkward, scary, brilliant, and epic journey!!!!!!"

Sure sounds that way but is he really ready to give up the spotlight?

noskates

Record Breaker
With Japan looming on the horizon and my competitive career coming to a close I am excited to do it the way I always have.

Doesn't sound like he's quitting to me. Sounds like Worlds will be his final "buh bye!"

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Darn! Which means Jason Brown is done for the season. : (

Oh well, time to come up with two new amazing programs for next season.

(That said I hope Jeremy does well at Worlds.)

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
With Jeremy it's getting to be like the Rolling Stones. Just how many "we swear this is the very last, final, ending, never see us again tour ever" (so get your wayyyyyyyy overpriced tickets now) have they had now?

Until the next very last, final, etc. etc etc.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
With Jeremy it's getting to be like the Rolling Stones. Just how many "we swear this is the very last, final, ending, never see us again tour ever" (so get your wayyyyyyyy overpriced tickets now) have they had now?

Until the next very last, final, etc. etc etc.

Exactly.

GF2445

Record Breaker
It doesnt really matter. If Jeremy retires after sochi, i'll be happy for him as he showed through his performance what it means to be a fighter (that is minus the comments where he ranted about people calling him a chocker). If we see him Japan, I will be happy to see him skate too because his skating is like chocolate- irresistibly good.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I understand this means he is going to go to Worlds and completely destroy any possibility of three spots, and then he is going to retire. It doesn't surprise me. He's 28, no spring chicken, and he certainly doesn't have an iron will like Plushy does.

jace93

On the Ice
I understand this means he is going to go to Worlds and completely destroy any possibility of three spots, and then he is going to retire. It doesn't surprise me. He's 28, no spring chicken, and he certainly doesn't have an iron will like Plushy does.

As of right one I would say that any combination of two top us male skater would have to be really lucky to get the three spot back

LRK

Record Breaker
I forget what the combined placements must be to get three spots?

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada

It's hard to know how Jeremy will do. He's very inconsistent at the international level and has been all his career. He's the American version of Emanuel Sandhu.

He could have a good skate and place well, or he could finish way down again. But you're right that he is pushing 30 and if you haven't made it to the World podium by this stage in your career, this is pretty much your last chance.

Angryyew

Rinkside
I expect two spots is the best we can hope for. Neither he nor Max have been consistent, so the odds of them both finishing top 13 seem small, unless several top guys don't attend.

LRK

Record Breaker
The magic number is 13. 6+7 and 5+8 and so on.

Thank you. Hmmm.... So, I'm guessing that part of the US' chances of getting three spots would depend of which/how many of the top guys are going to Worlds'? And how many of the ones that are going the Americans can beat? So, what would be a realistic scenario? (Obviously, with the men as inconsistent as they are, making any realistic calculation is wellnigh impossible - but just for the fun of it... )

It's in Japan, so I assume Yuzuru is going? Plus two other Japanese guys? Patrick - will he be there, does anyone know? And Denis? I suppose a 4th place isn't so satisfactory as to tempt Javier to consider himself done for the season and skip Worlds'?

aschiutza

On the Ice

Which male skater in USA would benow so good to bring 3 places?

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Jeremy changes his mind and decides not to go, I hope Jason Brown will have enough time to prepare (in other words, not a last minute decision by Jeremy). No doubt that Jason continues to train in the event of this possibility.

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Skaters, who can/may beat whoever USA sends

Almost definitely
1. Hanyu
2. Machida
3. Takahashi
4. Fernandez

Add Chan, if he competes

Likely
5. Denis Ten
6. Han Yan
7. Russian man (Kovtun)?
8. Brezina
9. Reynolds

Maybe
10. Liebers
11. Amodio
12. Majorov

I think Joubert and Verner will not compete, but add those if you will.

The American men cannot hope to beat the first group, but must limit the "Likely" group. A tough task.