Downton Abby Party! | Golden Skate

Downton Abby Party!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Dear powers that be...Please give poor Edith some happiness this season....bring back her love from the dead or something....
If you want to dump on someone, dump on Mary...she is a &&&&&(rymes with witch).

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Ah, I totally forgot about my favorite show. I totally missed to see the latest season and Christmas episode.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I'm a huge fan of this series but I'm still at the beginning of season 3... can't wait to watch everything in the next weeks!

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've been watching since Season 1 on PBS - tuned in b/c of Maggie Smith and kept watching. Now we know who all the actors are and the characters they play so well. The show is just so well cast and acted.

I find the plots to be frustrating (Anna and Bates) but overall, I enjoy the details, the manners, the costumes and the soapiness of it all.

I watched the first episode last night - enjoyed it and thankfully the Anna/Bates storyline was resolved. And Coyote Chris I think Edith will finally come into her own this season and maybe even tell Mary off for how mean she is to her only living sister!

Mary treats her maid better than her own sister, it's pretty ridiculous since they lost Sybil, you'd think she'd value Edith more.

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I've been watching since Season 1 on PBS - tuned in b/c of Maggie Smith and kept watching. Now we know who all the actors are and the characters they play so well. The show is just so well cast and acted.

I find the plots to be frustrating (Anna and Bates) but overall, I enjoy the details, the manners, the costumes and the soapiness of it all.

I watched the first episode last night - enjoyed it and thankfully the Anna/Bates storyline was resolved. And Coyote Chris I think Edith will finally come into her own this season and maybe even tell Mary off for how mean she is to her only living sister!

Mary treats her maid better than her own sister, it's pretty ridiculous since they lost Sybil, you'd think she'd value Edith more.

Because Mary and Edith had some rivalry in love affairs? Edith was very jealous of her older sister too. Not every siblings get along well in real life. Her maid Anna is Mary's long-time confidant, so I don't find any weirdness in their relationship.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A lot of the rivalry between Edith and Mary happened when they were much younger - at least 10 years ago. They've led very different and separate lives since then but I would hope as they grew older (and lost Sybil) they would be a bit nicer to each other. They don't need to be BFFs but respectful.

As for Mary and Anna, I don't find their relationship weird but it's almost like Anna's become a surrogate sister.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I've been watching since Season 1 on PBS - tuned in b/c of Maggie Smith
YES. Maggie is by far my favourite character and the best of the best in terms of representing what England really was during those years :love:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
YES. Maggie is by far my favourite character and the best of the best in terms of representing what England really was during those years :love:

Yes, she is a treasure for sure....the pre-show hour was great, talking about how this series has spread all around the world and is enjoyed so widely....maybe some people actually do have attention spans!
The only carp I had is that when they did a recap of the series sesion 1-5, the lied about Fellows killing off people....he HAD to cause his charactors left the series...did you note that Mathew didnt get interviewed
for the pre-season start???? My wish is that everyone finds some happiness...and I think they would sell more complete sets if that indeed is the outcome....the worst would be that the Abby is blown up like so many
of the country estates were to avoid the taxes and the grounds turned to farmland....I would love to join a tour of the remaining old country estates.....

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
A lot of the rivalry between Edith and Mary happened when they were much younger - at least 10 years ago. They've led very different and separate lives since then but I would hope as they grew older (and lost Sybil) they would be a bit nicer to each other. They don't need to be BFFs but respectful.

As for Mary and Anna, I don't find their relationship weird but it's almost like Anna's become a surrogate sister.

I didn't see all episodes, but was curious about how the show ends. Therefore, I saw the last episode of the last season (not the Christmas one). I can now agree with your opinion regarding the siblings' bitter and strange relationship. Poor Edith and what a mean-spirited behavior Mary did to her only existing sister. Edith was a better and bigger person than Mary.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Poor Edith and what a mean-spirited behavior Mary did to her only existing sister. Edith was a better and bigger person than Mary.

I am probably in the minority here but I think you teach people how you want to be treated. I see Edith as a manipulator and Mary won't have any part of it. I like Mary, she doesn't pull any punches....what you see is what you get. Just my opinion.

I also find some things strange, like partying with the downstairs....under no circumstances would that happen, no matter what.

I love the show and am sad it's the last season.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I am probably in the minority here but I think you teach people how you want to be treated. I see Edith as a manipulator and Mary won't have any part of it. I like Mary, she doesn't pull any punches....what you see is what you get. Just my opinion.
Possible spoiler alert:

The thing that Mary did to Edith and her guest at breakfast should've not happened just like that. That was very rude and hurtful to both the listeners at the place. Edith would've eventually been honest to the person (well, this could be a spoiler) about what she had in the past since she felt guilty for hiding the secret. She also forgave Mary at her sister's brightest day no matter what Mary did to her. I usually was inclined to favor Mary over Edith, but that particular behavior was too big to forgive. Mary should've controlled her feeling before the action.

Anyway, I'm sad that what other British drama series I should watch from now on; not every costume drama is worthy to watch..except Sherlock (when will the new season begin by the way........)

Last edited:

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think the man said it all to Edith about Marigold....you don't trust me. I hope Edith has learned her lesson. Of course back in those days it would have been a disgrace to have a baby out of wedlock....I just used a word that I haven't heard in years.

Will you be watching the final season??

Are you a little sad it's all over??

I will miss Maggie Smith's little barbs. :laugh:

annzee703

Rinkside
I'm sad that tomorrow night is the last of Downton Abbey. It's well written, actors chosen wisely, and mostly a credible story line. I only hope that Julian is given as much freedom as possible by NBC as he creates his new show...and that NBC doesn't insist that Hollywood celebs get roles in his new production. Heck, think of all the young (and middle-aged) actors who could use a break, playing roles in this new show. NBC wouldn't have to pay them an exorbitant salary and they'd find their way to celebrity-hood and stardom eventually. I can't decide if I'm going to be sipping a cup of tea while watching or having a couple glasses of white wine. So, what's everyone else going to be sipping? Hope it goes out with a bang!

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can't decide if I'm going to be sipping a cup of tea while watching or having a couple glasses of white wine. So, what's everyone else going to be sipping? Hope it goes out with a bang!
I'll join you in a glass or two of white wine!! :clap:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I think the man said it all to Edith about Marigold....you don't trust me. I hope Edith has learned her lesson. Of course back in those days it would have been a disgrace to have a baby out of wedlock....I just used a word that I haven't heard in years.

Will you be watching the final season??

Are you a little sad it's all over??

I will miss Maggie Smith's little barbs. :laugh:

I think you judge Edith too harshly. It is easy to say she should have been more up front but you werent in her shoes and in that period of time and have suffered like she did....anyway, I think Fellows did a great job of wrapping up the series so that we all have fond memories of those 6 years we spent with the families...yes, its a bit sad its over but think of what would have come next had it continued....the great depression, then WWII, then families having to blow up their homes to avoid the taxes and just have tenant farmers. Bravo to all those that managed to keep ahold of those great country estates and hold on to them even today with creative measures to help them pay for themselves....
Chris booking a trip on the Titanic II and going to England to see the country homes and Jane Austen sites.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think you judge Edith too harshly. It is easy to say she should have been more up front but you werent in her shoes and in that period of time and have suffered like she did.

Well, Mr. Chris, I think you judged me too harshly. I didn't say it was easy..., matter of fact I didn't say anything about her. I said ...the man said it all....you don't trust me.

Are you trying out for Maggie Smith's role??? :laugh:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Well, Mr. Chris, I think you judged me too harshly. I didn't say it was easy..., matter of fact I didn't say anything about her. I said ...the man said it all....you don't trust me.

Are you trying out for Maggie Smith's role??? :laugh:

NOBODY beats M. Smith! Over 80 years young and she can still act like that....amazing. Ref: Edith...at least she came out with honesty with her husband's mother! Funny how we can become attached to Play charactors after six years....
I cant wait to see the series that tops DA,,,,

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I cant wait to see the series that tops DA,,,,

I know what you mean Chris. There are other good shows that I've watched over the years....good story lines.

Have you seen:

Call the Midwife
Poldark

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I know what you mean Chris. There are other good shows that I've watched over the years....good story lines.

Have you seen:

Call the Midwife
Poldark

I have watched some Call the Midwife but did not feel a burning need to record it. But of course it is the usual high standard of quality we have come to expect from the BBC/PBS. I did Record the recent Poldark but dumped the episodes....not because they are bad, only because I dont have much time for TV.
PBS has had many great series...I have all the Jane Austen DVDs dating from the 1980s on.....but I can not imagine a bigger success than DA. Six seasons and seen all around the world....I think the synergy of great scripts, great acting, wonderful filming, and taking the charactors forword and seeing them, at least some of them, develop and change as many of us do...that was the secret....the charactors have become real persons for many, like that woman that stopped Fellows on the street and cried, "Please give Edith some happiness!" And he did. If we want unhappy endings, we can watch the news...if we want happy endings, we have PBS!

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Mr. Selfridge is another fine series which IMO has been a bit more edgy than DA; not as popular probably b/c historically we all know where it's headed. We all like our heros to triumph; while Selfridge is a likeable dynamic personality, he's definitely flawed and it's hard to watch him decline... But the series is top notch drama. I believe a new Season starts airing soon and Jeremy Piven is outstanding in the role...

Some of my other PBS favorites (tho lesser known) are

Johnny Worricker Trilogy: Page Eight - Turks & Caicos - Salting the Battlefield
Shetland
Wallander
Death in Paradise
Zen