Dress Fitting | Golden Skate

Dress Fitting

avalerie696

Rinkside
Ok this may seem like a silly question. I have a competition coming up so I'll be buying a dress. I'm not stick thin, I'd say I'm a medium and I'm quite satisfied with my body shape but I do have a bit of a not-so-flat stomach problem. Do any of you have any advice on how to conceal it? I'm really self conscious/insecure about it.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Skirts on dresses can be placed at different areas on the body. The traditional is near the waist but with a dip in the front and back and higher at the sides. This is very flattering as long as the skirt is not placed too far under the tummy poof.
There is also straight around the waist, slightly above or below and just about anywhere in-between.

I am always an advocate of getting a dress made from a local costumer - one that is familiar with making skating or dance costumes. They'll know how to work with stretch fabrics and place the skirt wear it's best.

You can probably buy cheaper online but you get what you get.

Also, you'll be wearing tights under your dress so that will also help hold in your tummy.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Make sure it fits. A dress that fits will be the most flattering. Also, no one is looking at your body. If they are, f**k them. You're there to show off your skills, not your body.

You can wear two pairs of tights (many people do that anyway) to help tuck yourself in a bit if you want to feel a bit better about it. I personally cut a slit into the waistband of my tights so that it doesn't dig in. They dig in on everyone no matter how thin they are; it's just bad design to be honest.

As Sandra mentioned, different skirt heights look best on certain people.

Kat12

Rinkside
I tend to fold down the waist of tights, pantyhose, etc. It's just too high and if nothing else, I can't stand it that high on my waist.

What about a dress of a design you feel would "hide" this area, rather than being skintight to it? Something with a mock wrap design, draping in soft fabrics (I've seen some really cool dresses with an elegant drape effect that I love), a whole dress that is flowy rather than tight and conforming. Or, something with design elements that draw the eye elsewhere-- appliques or beading/sequins/stoning on the top of the bodice or skirt, etc.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
What about a dress of a design you feel would "hide" this area, rather than being skintight to it? Something with a mock wrap design, draping in soft fabrics (I've seen some really cool dresses with an elegant drape effect that I love), a whole dress that is flowy rather than tight and conforming. Or, something with design elements that draw the eye elsewhere-- appliques or beading/sequins/stoning on the top of the bodice or skirt, etc.
For somebody who is bothered by their tummy (or for my best friend, who has absolutely no waist at all) I would design and make a dress with an Empire line bodice, where the skirt flows gently out from just under the bust, becoming fuller as it goes down. Couple this with eyecatching sparkle at the bust and/or hem and... Job's a good 'un!