Duhamel, Radford fire coach | Golden Skate

Duhamel, Radford fire coach

Taan

On the Ice
Duhamel, Radford fire coach eight months before Olympics:eek:
http://www.cfjctoday.com/article/57...amel-radford-fire-coach-eight-months-olympics

Meagan Duhamel pauses for a moment to collect her thoughts.

The question is a simple one: Why would the Canadian figure skater and pairs partner Eric Radford — world champions in both 2015 and 2016 — fire their coach just eight months before the 2018 Olympics?

"At the end of the day," Duhamel begins, choosing her words carefully, "what Eric and I have been doing isn't working anymore and we needed to make some changes."

And that's exactly what they've done, announcing Friday they're parting ways with Richard Gauthier in a both surprising and bold shakeup that will see two new faces added to their backroom staff when preparations for the Winter Games in Pyeongchang, South Korea, get underway in earnest over the summer.

"This will be our last competitive season," the 31-year-old Duhamel continued in a phone interview with The Canadian Press. "It was now or never to try something different. We feel like we need to refresh and reinvigorate our skating to have a chance to stand on that podium at the Olympics.

"This was what needed to be done."

andromache

Record Breaker
Also important (because my immediate thought was what about Bruno???):

Bruno Marcotte, who is Duhamel's husband and worked alongside Gauthier, remains in the fold as head coach.

Duhamel, from Lively, Ont., and Radford, from Balmertown, Ont., are also bringing John Zimmerman on board to support Marcotte, while John Kerr is joining the team alongside fellow choreographer Julie Marcotte.

"Meagan and I thank Richard from the bottom of hearts for all he has done for us," Radford said in a statement. "His influence in our lives will extend far beyond the arena. This was an extremely difficult decision but now we will concentrate and focus on the important upcoming season."

This is a huge gamble, but John Zimmerman seems to be doing pretty darn good with James/Cipres. On the other hand, they won't be with Zimmerman full time. Not sure if this is enough of a shake-up, since it sounds like they won't be bringing anyone new on full time. I think this isn't the best move unless they are with Zimmerman full time from now until the Olympics.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
For people's qualms about their skating style, nobody can accuse of Duhamel/Radford of not being driven or being complacent. This move is certainly a big one, but isn't surprising given their constant (especially her) constant analysis and tweaking.

Last edited:

irriya

On the Ice
shocking news...wonder who are the two new faces in their coaching team now and what kind of change will they bring to D/R

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Wow, this is suprising. Also a little late. And Zimmerman already has one high profile team. And I'm mildly curious how succes of James/Cipres influenced the decision.... Like would they turn to him, if J/C had not breakthrough? I understand the frustration though. They didn't win any major competition this season, which for two-time WC may sting a little. I hope them coming to Zimmerman won't affect J/C negatively. Of course it may benefit J/C too, but I remember J/C saying that the fact that there was no top team at Zimmerman was a plus for them, because they knew they would be priority...

Anyway, I'm really curious how it will work out, D/R seem determined :popcorn:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I don't see this change as very dramatic.

Bruno and Julie have been there with them for a long time and remain the main coaches.

I see this simply as feeling the need to get new feedback from new people. Sometimes, before the ultimate competition, when you feel you have plateaued already, an influx of new people is a great source of new motivation and positive energy.

I am so not worried for these two.... they know their technique. They have been skating together forever. If it can boost their spirits, why not?

Go Meagan and Eric!

deedee1

Record Breaker
:jaw:

Is John Z working with Vanessa/Morgan still? I hope so. I loved them for quite a long time, and their this past season's breakthrough was just :cool::rock::love:. And seeing both John Z & Morgan in KnC was truly a feast to my eyes :luv17:. Thruout the season, I was sort of wondering which one was hotter but couldn't really decide tbh, you know... :eek::

Anyway, good luck to Meagan & Eric in the new season! :cheer::cheer:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I don't see this change as very dramatic.

Bruno and Julie have been there with them for a long time and remain the main coaches.

I see this simply as feeling the need to get new feedback from new people. Sometimes, before the ultimate competition, when you feel you have plateaued already, an influx of new people is a great source of new motivation and positive energy.

I am so not worried for these two.... they know their technique. They have been skating together forever. If it can boost their spirits, why not?

Go Meagan and Eric!

Yup, agree 100% :agree: We see that kind of things in other sports all the time! And for many this is effective, at least for some time ;)

mrrice

Record Breaker
Sometimes you just need new motivation. You can only listen to the same words being said in the same way, for so long until they seem to go in one ear and out the other. This might be exactly what they need to light a new fire under them as they go into what they've said will be their final season. They are one of the favorites going in and it's now or never.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Zimmerman and Kerr will bring some fresh perspective to the table. Wishing all the best to Meagan and Eric. If this is their last season, hope they make it a great one.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
This is a good move for them, IMO. Richard was great for them, but they really need some competitive fire going into the Olympics. And sharing Zimmerman with J/C is good too, because both teams can really push each other. Meagan and Vanessa can share quad throw tips. :biggrin:

Either way, they needed to do something because last season was a bit of a bust for them (well, certainly compared to previous seasons)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Interesting. I think if Duhamel and Radford really wanted change they needed to get rid of her husband as he is the main coach- not saying that they should. Yes, I realize the pragmatics aren't good for that lol. But Gauthier is really the scapegoat. Duhamel and Radford had to deal with an injury and right or wrong public and judgees who don't really like them (generally speaking). They both made comments that illuded to what we all might have thought - why they weren't held up more at worlds with the injury. they did not skate that bad and were defending world champions. Right or wrong that happens with past champs think of Gordeeva and Grinkov in 1990 worlds or even Hanyu at various events or Kostner, Chan, Asada. They really need a quad twist or throw triple axel and regain consistent lutzes which in fairness never fully left. There style is not lilked or appreciated or is not good but whatever the judges will give gold to Sui and Han or Savchenko and Massot before D and R. Only if there are errors does Canada have a chance. In fairness S and H, the Germans do not have the magic chemistry of say G and G or M and D. But it is a whole new world IJS. I wonder how Cipres and James feel - though I have always thought in the last two years or so they had huge potential and just after showing flases of brilliance they would have a subpar out of top ten or lower top ten performance.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think there's a good chance they'll implode this season. I don't even really see them as in the running for an individual olympic medal. Meagan Duhamel is competitive to the max; and every wrong step they take she'll try to dial up her competitiveness beyond what it is already, and end up with so much mental feedback that it will all go wrong. Unless this new coach is going to a, tell her to shut up a lot and b, explain what art and performance is and that it does not involve your mouth being able to seen gabbing away in our final lift and all the other tell tale signs when you skate that all you really care about is winning, there's no real point in changing personnel.

LOL, ooooh, I'm gonna have to keep this receipt for next season. :laugh: I think you meant, you hope they'll implode this season? :sarcasm:

People said the same thing about D/R repeating their World title, and you know how that turned out. :biggrin: I think it'll be super challenging for them to win Olympic gold, but to say they're not in the running for an Olympic medal (like, even bronze) is pretty short-sighted. But hey, they love proving naysayers and haters wrong, so by all means... nay say away. :popcorn:

sarama

Medalist
This is weird, almost as weird as that time Stolbova and Klimov skipped Worlds "to prepare for the next season". I feel like there is more to this story, and they have all the rights to keep their business private, but this narrative really doesn't make sense. They could have worked part-time with Zimmerman and Kerr with Gauthier as their coach in Montreal, since they aren't relocating anyway.
Is Marcotte still coaching other teams with Gauthier?

slider11

Medalist
I appreciate Duhamel and Radford efforts to rejuvenate their skating. Frankly, I've never been a fan of their artistry. When on, their mechanics, are great. But their performances leave me flat. If Luba could get her jumps more solid I think she and Dylan Moskovitch could be contenders for the top Canadian team. Now there's a team that puts excitement and passion into their skating! Going to John Zimmerman is a gutsy step and guts is one thing Duhamel and Radford don't lack. Good luck to them!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
This is not a shake up or any "scapegoating", as dramatic as the headline is. Sounds like they re-allocate their resources to trade one of the coaches for a couple of consultants in hope for different inputs and fresh ideas. This will be their last competitive season and best chance for a non Team Olympic medal so they do need to do whatever they can to step it up, especially after the momentum losing season before the Olympics.

Go Meagan and Eric!

slider11

Medalist
I think there's a good chance they'll implode this season. I don't even really see them as in the running for an individual olympic medal. Meagan Duhamel is competitive to the max; and every wrong step they take she'll try to dial up her competitiveness beyond what it is already, and end up with so much mental feedback that it will all go wrong. Unless this new coach is going to a, tell her to shut up a lot and b, explain what art and performance is and that it does not involve your mouth being able to seen gabbing away in our final lift and all the other tell tale signs when you skate that all you really care about is winning, there's no real point in changing personnel.

I think you've got this right, Icetigger! It is annoying/distracting to see Megan constantly talking/analyzing the moment after each competition. I can only imagine what it's like for Eric and the other coaches. I guess Bruno/husband is ok with it and the others seeme to nod and just let her ramble. But, holy-cow, take in the moment, smile, thank your fans, say hi to your mom...give it a rest. There's always time later to dissect and remediate.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
If only Meagan realized that shutting her mouth would get them more points and major medals, I'm sure she would gladly do so instead of working and training so darn hard with her partner and their team. Otherwise I see no reason she should modify her personality and winning ways just to not annoy a few detractors who will always find other issues to diss her with anyway.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Thanks Slider11! The off ice jibber-jabba would get to me if I were working with her. But what is so much worse is the on ice jibber-jabba. Take a look at her at Worlds 2016 in the free skate. You can see her mouth going the final lift. It's appalling and really shows a low standards of her idea of performance and a lack of interiority.

If they are looking for a new coach, I'd suggest Mr T.

She's happy though? Tons of skaters have gotten excited/fist pumped/expressed happiness when they know they've done the best they can achieve. Some skaters can control their emotions more easily, while others wear their heart on their sleeve, and I would rather see a skater express real, genuine emotion, rather than internalizing how they feel and plaster on a superficial veneer that other people would have them put on for the cameras. If anything it's not her who has a low standard when it comes to an idea of performance. :sarcasm: And, to quote Mr. T, I pity the foo'.

andromache

Record Breaker
:rolleye::rolleye::rolleye:

Can't even to get to page 3 without some Meagan hate. It's a coach change. Coach changes have implications, which can lead to speculation, etc. Like, there is so much else to discuss besides saying nasty things about a woman who likes to talk and analyze her performance and share her feelings with her partner and her coach. God forbid a woman open her mouth. Luckily, Bruno, Eric, et al don't have such backwards ideas about women being more than pretty, silent dolls.