Elegant arm movements on the ice | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Elegant arm movements on the ice

camion

On the Ice
Yu Na's arm movements are extremely graceful. I think last year's "Lark Ascending" program really showcased that. Mao also has really elegant arms, but I don't like how she makes her hands into a fist in her transition moves. My favorite skater- Sasha has gorgeous arm motions as well, but I think her trademark preciseness?lol sometimes makes the movement too sharp or crisp when something more soft/subtle may suit the choreography better. So I think Yukina Ota probably has the best arm movements currently.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=L0LvJxsA88A&feature=related

Bennett

Record Breaker
I love Yukina's!

Her arms and fingers and the whole body are SO expressive! Only within a few minutes of this SP program, she has a whole range of expressions. Sharpness, strength, softness, and elegance. When I closely watch her body parts, for example, focusing just on fingers, I am amazed to see how variously she uses her fingers to express different notes of music.

Some skaters use facial expressions to express the music, which works quite well on TV and helps express theatrical side of performance.

But I don't see a whole lot of facial expressions going on in her face. Her facial expressions tend to be very calm. Instead, all of her body tells the story.

I am also amazed by her great musicality. Whenever I see her performance, I feel that I can hear the music so well. I can notice every change in passage because her moves reflect the subtle changes in notes so well.

fourclover

On the Ice
Yu Na's arm movements are extremely graceful. I think last year's "Lark Ascending" program really showcased that. Mao also has really elegant arms, but I don't like how she makes her hands into a fist in her transition moves. My favorite skater- Sasha has gorgeous arm motions as well, but I think her trademark preciseness?lol sometimes makes the movement too sharp or crisp when something more soft/subtle may suit the choreography better. So I think Yukina Ota probably has the best arm movements currently.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=L0LvJxsA88A&feature=related

I'm not too impressed with her arm movements except at the very end. I think she moves her FINGERS too much :laugh::laugh: I think her limbs, legs and arms AND fingers are too thin compared to the girth of her torso.

Last edited:
I think this is something you are kind of "born with". Some skaters just have the knack and look beautiful with their arms. Others are trying too hard and look terrible. And others don't try and look terrible.
I always thought Nicole Bobek had beautiful arm movements and musicality with her arms, clear down to her finger tips.
Plushenko always struck me as someone flapping their arms around wildly because a swarm of bees was after them. His movements didn't do a thing for me.

Johar

Medalist
Plushenko's arms reminded me of airplane propellers. He and Kimmie could takeoff and have aerial dogfights.

gsrossano

Final Flight
Plushenko's arms reminded me of airplane propellers. He and Kimmie could takeoff and have aerial dogfights.

:rofl:

Just to throw a hand grenade into the discussion, most of the examples in this thread are skaters who choose music and have a style that calls for beautiful elegant arms. But what about music that calls for ugly angular spasmodic arms? In terms of CH and IN, isn't it more important that the arms actually be doing "something" that match the character of the music and the theme of the program?

passion

On the Ice
Plushenko flails his arms. It's just too much that it becomes distracting.

My vote for best arms is Lu Chen. OMG! To die for. She also uses them in such unique and creative ways. I am refering to her Spring Breeze and Last Emperor and Butterfly Lovers. My second vote is Peggy Flemming, especially that performance at Madison Square.

Currently, I have to say Yu Na.

sillylionlove

Medalist
I agree with the Plushenko comments. Sometimes I am like...what the heck is he doing with his arms.

I think Yuka Sata has nice arm movements.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Are skaters coached on what to do with their arms? I was watching the difference bewteen two skater I like--Meissner and Sarah Meijer. The latter does some elegant moves with her arms and Kimmie still seems to have a problem with her "airplane" arms.

What are skaters supposed to be doing with their arms on the ice?

I feel that Kimmie is getting better especially when she does only choreos. I also felt the same with Miki. She is getting much better when she does only choreos. I totally understand that it's more difficult to pay attention to arms when doing difficult steps or going into jumps. BTW, I like the expression, "airplane" arms. Sounds so cute and so true (sorry kimmie:p).

1cmarie

Rinkside
well, I thought Miki was elegant with her arms when she was with David Wilson. Merry Christmast Mr. Lawrence was a really good program. I thought Miki was feeling the music and she was very artistic in that program and I didn't notice her usual bad postures.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1qA2NDd1R9Q

She has a beautiful I-spin. Cohen always looked like she was in such pain when she did hers, IMO.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Watch Katia Gordeeva. She had gorgeous line & arms even as a younger skater. I remember G&G in a pro competition in Japan where I thought the commentator was going to have a heart attack while going on & on about how amazingly beautiful her arms were. She is one skater who I heard many commentators talk about her ability to hold her arm beautifully even while doing simple strokes.

Katia and all the other soviet pairs had intesive ballet training since they were very young. This could not help but give her elegant arm positions.

Just to throw a hand grenade into the discussion, most of the examples in this thread are skaters who choose music and have a style that calls for beautiful elegant arms. But what about music that calls for ugly angular spasmodic arms?

If the arm movements fit the music, or the story being told by the performance, then something that might ordinarily be classified as akward or ugly would not be ugly in my mind. As long as it is "appropriate" and done well. I.E., if a program called for stiff and precise positions, then the arms must be stiff and precise.

What is pleasing to me is the movements done in a way, and held in a way and long enough, that I can *see* what the movement is supposed to be. Not something rushed and only half-baked.

Linny

Final Flight
Shoulders

Methinks that the beauty of Oksana Biuel's arms was unfortunately set back by the way her shoulders were always rolled forward. Shae-Lynn is another skater with those rolled forward shoulders. It's just a personal preference - I prefer a more elegant carriage.

Linny

BelleFilleYuna

On the Ice
well, I thought Miki was elegant with her arms when she was with David Wilson. Merry Christmast Mr. Lawrence was a really good program. I thought Miki was feeling the music and she was very artistic in that program and I didn't notice her usual bad postures.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1qA2NDd1R9Q

Merry Christmas Mr.Lawrence is one of my favorite program and especially from the beginning to her layback...just beautiful.

I know Morosov is doing a great job for Miki, but I hated him for neglecting Miki's arm movements last season.
I was kinda HUH??? when I heard Miki saying that she never actually used her elbow to give more soft touch to her arm movements and she's working on it , because she had it before!!!!!!!!!

I cannot imagine Miki doing another chreographer's, so I hope Morosov can find a way to give Miki a decent program that doesnot require too much flailing.

BTW I think David Wilson is the one who accentuates arm movements the most in a very subtle but beautiful way. No wonder Kimmie ditched his program, she must have felt uncomfortable with all the arm movements that Wilson was loading on her:laugh: (no offence Kimmie:p)