Elena Ilinykh & Ruslan Zhiganshin | Page 476 | Golden Skate

Elena Ilinykh & Ruslan Zhiganshin

Marta25

Medalist
Honestly this isn't surprising at this point, there's rarely this much smoke without fire and they haven't been seen together in some time so that was another huge clue :(

I feel REALLY sad about it though, and especially for Elena... I hope she'll be able to find a new partner if it's what she wants but it's hard to see what options there could possibly be for the coming season, at least in Russia. And I think it's very unlikely Russia would easily release her, too, even if she wanted to pursue options outside Russia, though they aren't France, chances are they would release her eventually...

I hope for Ruslan that he's happy with the decision and that he wasn't forced to make it due to injury, which would be heartbreaking.

I think Vlasenko, who used to skate with Popova is still free, but the question is if she really wants to skate with someone who is so far from her own level. There isn't really anybody else left who is close to Ruslan's level and without a partner. From abroad, Daniel Eaton should still be free, but USFSA can be very difficult to deal with concerning releases.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I think Vlasenko, who used to skate with Popova is still free, but the question is if she really wants to skate with someone who is so far from her own level. There isn't really anybody else left who is close to Ruslan's level and without a partner. From abroad, Daniel Eaton should still be free, but USFSA can be very difficult to deal with concerning releases.

He is still free but I'm not 100% sure he's still looking if that makes sense- though if he is that would be a sweet deal for him, but like you say there's the real question if she'd want to skate with someone SO beneath her level. I did always think he was the stronger technical skater in his partnership with Popova, but I guess the real question would be does she plan to potentially skate for 2 more Oly cycles after this one and does she get along well enough with him to really stick it out, basically assuming that nearly the whole first cycle would need to be devoted to getting him to her level... I do think probably with a LOT of hard work and dedication he could become an okay partner for her, but it would take a lot of time and effort at this point.

Eton is an interesting idea but I'm not sure how the releases would work, either. I think that USFSA probably would ultimately be willing to release him, but just like Russia with Elena it would doubtless take at least a few seasons. He's also beneath her level but I do think he's a stronger skater than Vlasenko when we last saw Vlasenko and it would be a less obvious skills mismatch at first.

Marta25

Medalist
I think if she doesn't find immediately someone to skate with she should wait until after the Olympics before making any decisions regarding her career. Usually, there are a lot of partner changes after an Olympic cycle is done.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Is Lukas Csolley still skating with that Czech girl? Sorry, I don't know her name.

As far as I know he's still with Lucie Mysliveckova, yes. They did WD from worlds but it was due to an injury. There hasn't been any news of their split. I suppose he might be willing to drop her for Elena but then there's still the question of a release, and he's also not really at her level, though he's probably closer than any of the possibilities mentioned so far. However, he's also further in his career than the other skaters mentioned and hasn't improved much in the past 2 or so years so there's a more real question of whether he's reached his potential.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think if she doesn't find immediately someone to skate with she should wait until after the Olympics before making any decisions regarding her career. Usually, there are a lot of partner changes after an Olympic cycle is done.

Agree with this!

uhh

Medalist
http://rsport.ru/figure_skating/20170518/1120623635.html

Still on the reserve team list, will be talking about future plans in June with the federation.

If Ruslan is injured, I do understand why he is quitting, but I hope it comes after proper discussions with the team. It seems strange that he's gone from thinking long term into the next Olympic cycle to deciding to leave completely, unless it's a chronic injury that has no hope of rehab. And hopefully this time the federation will help Elena if she wants to keep on skating instead of treating her as the leftovers.

I think she'd be a better partner for Mozgov or Drozd than their current partners, but I don't like it when teams are split against their will (and Lena said the same when looking for a new partner after Katsalapov). But there aren't any decent guys without partners - 15 on IPS, but only Daniel Eaton has done much at an international level, and there is the release question, although it should be slightly more straightforward following the ISU revision of rules last year. Her best chance may be sitting out the next season & seeing who is around after the Olympics.

Last edited:

Marta25

Medalist
Well, at least the Fed wants to talk with the coaches. Unlike the IK split, where it seemed they just let that one slide away.
I also hope that if Elena wants to continue she will get help from the Fed. She is such an extraordinary and unique talent.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
People say that the news is fake. Decision hasn't been made yet, but there's a very high possibility that they'll miss next season because of Ruslan's injury. IF (?) this is true, I wonder if Elena will be willing to skip the next Olympics and then continue? Or will she try to find a new partner? That's probably what the talk will be about? Damn, this is crazy.

Edit: I've heard that Vlasenko has a chronic knees' injury, I doubt Elena will agree to that. And Csolley or Eaton? Really? No.

Last edited:

uhh

Medalist
People say that the news is fake. Decision hasn't been made yet, but there's a very high possibility that they'll miss next season because of Ruslan's injury. IF (?) this is true, I wonder if Elena will be willing to skip the next Olympics and then continue? Or will she try to find a new partner? That's probably what the talk will be about? Damn, this is crazy.

Edit: I've heard that Vlasenko has a chronic knees' injury, I doubt Elena will agree to that. And Csolley or Eaton? Really? No.

Could be discussion about funding, or medical options? Or just talking about long term - maybe the injury would keep him out of next season & he thinks that as a consequence he should retire, and perhaps with a period of rest & rehab he could have a chance to compete for longer?

If he does retire & we're playing fantasy partner for Elena, I would pull Alexis Miart out of retirement, give him a renewed work ethic and send them to Platov. It would be stunning.

Marta25

Medalist
Could be discussion about funding, or medical options? Or just talking about long term - maybe the injury would keep him out of next season & he thinks that as a consequence he should retire, and perhaps with a period of rest & rehab he could have a chance to compete for longer?

If he does retire & we're playing fantasy partner for Elena, I would pull Alexis Miart out of retirement, give him a renewed work ethic and send them to Platov. It would be stunning.
I would rather pull Asher Hill out of retirement, he has at least the right work ethic. But if I could have my way, I take Ruslena over all these other options.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Sad to hear this. Thanks for the memories, RusLena, and good luck to them both in their future careers. I do hope Elena manages to find a suitable new partner, either before or after the Oly season, and stays around beyond 2018. For me she's still the most charismatic and musical female skater currently representing Russia, and I'm including the pairs ladies and singles in that. *fingers crossed*

AmyKar3n

Rinkside
How does that saying go, you know, from that old skating movie... Can't find a go to guy, maybe you should start with a go to girl.

alithia

Final Flight

Oh, what did you remind me of now? Alexis, what a waste, with a bit of work ethic he could have been a stunner on the ice.
And I always wanted Platov for her

alithia

Final Flight
I think we should wait a bit to see all the details , but I wish Lena finds a suitable partner, this season, next season, there is time anyway to start over she's only 23.And I think that it will be good to check every option carefully and not just jump into a partnership just because someone is available. I would personally like to see someone totally different than her two partners, bigger or maybe just different.It would be really refreshing to create something totally new, stylewise too

As far as I've heard his problems are not skating related, if we're not talking about fanfiction and forum madness, but actual facts.Anyway best luck to all with whatever they decide

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
regardless of the news being true and confirmed or to be yet discussed before new season - my only wish is to them both being happy and not regretful about anything. If Ruslan is injured, with small perspective to be back fit and ready, it's for his best to call it quits now, focus on health and start a new path. For Elena - I sincerely hope she'll decide what is going to work for her the best, even if it would mean retirement. I wish she would decide on her future freely, with no interference form other sources, especially Russian Fed and especially if she would want to pursue a career outside of Russia. If there's still a desire in her to continue - I wish her lots of strength and steely determination to find a partner equally determined and willing to try. And lots of time and patience.

bramweld

Record Breaker
If I may speak freely, I suspect that Russian ice dance is a very closed community with strict rules regarding who can and cannot represent Russia. There is an aesthetic and style that is almost considered mandatory before support is issued. Katsalapov and Zhiganshin have hinted at this a few times in interviews. It also appears that they significantly cut their funding this year. The strain of it must be quite an emotional one considering how challenging ice dance actually is. I say all this to say two things if I were in their shoes I may have given up eons ago. Further, since the federation has already anointed the future of Russian ice dance to belong to S/B and S/C, given Lena's international fan base and age it might be in their best interests to let her go as a gesture of goodwill; this could be an angle her management team could pursue. It would be considered cruel by many to have her talent just wasted by not being able to continue, either in Russia or a country of her choosing.

Last edited:

bsfan

On the Ice
I think we should wait a bit to see all the details , but I wish Lena finds a suitable partner, this season, next season, there is time anyway to start over she's only 23.And I think that it will be good to check every option carefully and not just jump into a partnership just because someone is available. I would personally like to see someone totally different than her two partners, bigger or maybe just different.It would be really refreshing to create something totally new, stylewise too

As far as I've heard his problems are not skating related, if we're not talking about fanfiction and forum madness, but actual facts.Anyway best luck to all with whatever they decide

Are you talking about Ruslan's problems or Alexis Miart's?

Marta25

Medalist
If I may speak freely, I suspect that Russian ice dance is a very closed community with strict rules regarding who can and cannot represent Russia. There is an aesthetic and style that is almost considered mandatory before support is issued. Katsalapov and Zhiganshin have hinted at this a few times in interviews. It also appears that they significantly cut their funding this year. The strain of it must be quite an emotional one considering how challenging ice dance actually is. I say all this to say two things if I were in their shoes I may have given up eons ago. Further, since the federation has already anointed the future of Russian ice dance to belong to S/B and S/C, given Lena's international fan base and age it might be in their best interests to let her go as a gesture of goodwill; this could be an angle her management team could pursue. It would be considered cruel by many to have her talent just wasted by not being able to continue, either in Russia or a country of her choosing.

I can't imagine that the Fed will ever let Elena go. They may not have been fans of her skating with Ruslan, but I doubt that they are so blind to not see how exceptional she is. Even if the Fed would release her, it wouldn't really improve her current situation. Right now, there are no partners left who are close to her level.