Emanuel Sandhu makes a return to competition! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Emanuel Sandhu makes a return to competition!

This is a fantasy, IMO. It's sad that he can't move on. And I do love his skating... he's unique. But to compete at 31 with the sport as tricky as it is now -- no.

gmyers

Record Breaker
This seems more of an instance of someone wanting to express themselves in a certain way again. Because he moved to dancing for a while.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I am not sure exactly what this comeback is about (if it is even real) . Is it just for fun and personal triumph of competing again like say Shannon Allison in 1996. Then fine. If it is about serious competitive success for a former Canadian and Grand Prix final winner then ROTFL!!! I thought Plushenko and Lysacek's rumoured comebacks were bad enough in that regard.

Sandhu's skating was already on serious decline when he first retired in 2007. In a huge way. The spins and footwork had gone weak, the skating had become slow and heavy, not to mention the jump consistency problems only getting worse. His PCS were down in Chris Mabee range that season, which is part of the reason Mabee won most of their head to head meetings that season even without a quad and consistency problems himself. He had diminished to the point even going squeeky clean it would not have been good enough to medal anymore, even in a relatively weak field that was dominated by Joubert at the time, whereas in his prime of 2003-2006 you could atleast say he would be competitive with any of the top men, except maybe Plushenko, if he went clean. I cant imagine what he would look like now in his 30s and with no serious training in years. It is too bad his personality probably cost him a good pro career. I am sure he would still be a great professional skater otherwise.

Last edited:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Anyway on the Grand Prix final Sandhu deserved that one. I dont really care if Plushenko lost because of miscounting the elements, IMO Sandhu skated well enough to deserve to anyway (even though the results probably wouldnt have come out that way). Sandhu at his best actually had qualities even prime Plushenko did not have. Those days are very long in the past though, well both of their days are a ways in the past now despite Plushenko's Oly silver.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Sandhu was a dancer before he was a skater. I think the dance competition must have been a great learning experience, in performance, artistry, and competitiveness. He is coming back as an underdog just as he was on the TV Dance show. As a fully mature man, he may just have overcome or is at least at peace with his turmuoltuous childhood. The unfinished business may not be the top of a Worlds or even Canadian podium but to prove his competitive best and his new enhanced artistry in performance which will be a real treat to fans. Even if he could not do the quads any more, he may prove to be a great PCS skater under the COP scoring. I wish him all the best. He deserves to make a mark in skating history.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
The problem is that he is in his 30s and no singles skater in history has excelled to their best with the physical demands of the amateur skating World. Absolutely nobody in modern times anyway. We see Fumie Suguri trying and basically making a fool of herself (she just recently was eliminated in Regional competition in Japan). Of course it would be one thing if Fumie was just doing it for personal reasons, but she still talks to the press of dreaming of winning Worlds, and reportedly had driven her family bankrupt to continue her long extinguished just missed targets of her long ago gone prime years. The latest singles skaters reach their best is 26. It is already safe to know Sandhu wont be the exception, as in 2007 we saw a then 26 year old Sandhu's ability to not only jump but do spins, footwork, and skate with any power greatly diminish, and that has nothing to do with his various personality issues and inconsistency that caused him to underachieve before.

Not to mention the CSA had already washed their hands off him. It was rumoured at the time part of the reason he was retired if he was not given any GP assignments for 07-08 due to missing a team gathering. They were sick off his attitude and they moved on to younger stars. If he came back now he would be faced with in his own country someone like Patrick Chan who is skating at a level far beyond what Sandhu ever did.

Pro skating is where he could really shine if given the chance. Maybe it is a good idea to try and get his name out again, and maybe be picked for a skating show like the Canadian Stars on Ice or something overseas.

Last edited:

wallylutz

Medalist
Someone, please remind me, how old was Hongbo Zhao when he won the 2010 Olympic Gold with Xue Shen? Now this is rhetoric question of course, but just make sure you checked out Zhao's age before calling Sandhu a zombie. ;)

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
That is pairs skating which is nothing like singles. Skaters have been competitive into their 30s in pairs and dance for years so that is nothing new. 35 in pairs is the equivalent of 25 in singles and 40 in dance roughly. We already know Sandhu's skating was on serious decline at age 26 (I mean his actual skating and elements quality, not his mind and consistency which had gone well before that) to the point he wasnt even competitive anymore, and that Plushenko at 27 couldnt beat a field he was able to beat by 30 points or the equivalent of 7 falls four years earlier at 23. Suguri is one of the very rare ones who even dares to try into her 30s in singles, and well we get a pretty good reference what to expect from a singles skater that age thanks to her (former regular World medalist to regional level skater who cant even make it to Nationals).

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
With Sandhu, his underperformances and never realizing his true potiential as one of the greatest skating talents there had ever been were due completely to his mental weakness and inner turmoils. He problems were not physical or technical. I can understand if he feels that he's now a different person and competitor mentally, he would want to show that and to see how well he can perform and compete with a different mindset. Finishing his business may be a personal satisfaction that may not be exactly the same as others' expectations or projected goals he should have. With new strengths (mental and artistic), he should not be written off even if he does not retain all his technical prowess.

Anyways, I will cheer for another Old Man to show the youngsters how it's done.

Well, if that's his attitude, great. Personally I would be happy to see him perform programs that fit his style and current ability, regardless of points. Unfortunately he won't get very far competitively with that kind of program. But at least there's Youtube.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
With Sandhu, his underperformances and never realizing his true potiential as one of the greatest skating talents there had ever been were due completely to his mental weakness and inner turmoils. He problems were not physical or technical.

The point I am making is that is only true up until 2006 (when he was 25, the latest age a singles skater is typically at their best, with very rare exceptions at 26). By 2007 his problems were not only mental but he clearly had declined both technically and physically. I dont know how closely you followed skating then but he wasnt that good anymore by 2007 even in the hypothetical he had skated cleanly. His spins, footwork, and basic skating had regressed alot; he was slow, ragged, looked less athletic, and didnt even have strong non jump elements anymore. The Worlds short program and Canadians long program were both telling to where he was by then. In the Worlds short program Sandhu did a triple flip-triple toe and fell on a triple axel and ended up 5 points and 5 places behind Lambiel who did a triple toe-double toe and fell on a triple axel. In the Canadians long program he skated his best performance of the year with only a couple mistakes and a clean quad, and couldnt even pass Mabee who didnt try a quad, also had mistakes, and never had top artistry. Even the judges didnt believe he was a threat anymore.

Not to mention he couldnt even dream of competiting with someone like Chan even if he were at his hypothetical best 2004 level. Sandhu arguably had a window of numerous major competitive opportunities squandered once upon a time, but that window is long closed. The sport has moved onwards as it always does. It isnt equestrian or golf where your opportunities will last 30 years if you want them to, as much as Fumie Suguri doesnt get the memo. If he has matured mentally, that is great, maybe his personality will now allow to get him along with cast members enough to join a major skating show now. As far as competition goes, he should have matured mentally 6-9 years ago when it would have mattered.

I am sure he could still shine, as a pro skater that is. That is the avenue he should now pursue if at all possible.

Last edited:

Kunstrijdster

Rinkside
I don't expect him to be in the best shape of his life but a well trained Emanuel could still rack up some points. 30 isn't too old considering he's had a few seasons off. Eldredge did it with over 30, and Stojko with almost 30. He has nothing to lose. He either will perform or not. It's up to him.

I like it when "oldies" come back and show that they can still be competitive. :thumbsup:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Did Sandhu ever suffer serious or recurring injuries? Since his retirement form skating, he has been in very rigorous dance training, and without troubling injuries, his physical condition may still be great even at 30 or more. Not every skater over the age of 25 is old and decrepit.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Name me one singles skater (since 1960 or so, not someone from the 1920s) who was at their best at the amateur level past age 26. PS- in case it is brought up 27 year old Plushenko was nowhere near his former best in Vancouver, prime Plushenko would have beaten the performances by Evan in Vancouver by over 30 points. Even the all time golden oldies of amateur skating Slutskaya and Butyrskaya hit their peaks at 26 and saw a slow decline thereafter. As I mentioned the only example of a recent noteable who even tried past age 30 to compete as an amateur is Fumie Suguri and well.....the less said about her current pitiful state the better.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
In others, even amateur sports such as track and fields, athletes stay competitive into their 30's these days, unlike the old standard of being a has-been by 25. Why can't figure skaters? You can't always use historical standards to determine a current athlete's career potential. Shen/Zhao were the pioneers and surely more and more "Oldies" will join the rank if they care to. Some people have to start the trend. Age should not be a determining factor for participation. Let the real performances and results decide who should compete at the top level.

seniorita

Record Breaker
^ you have used the word Plushenko much more on this thread than Sandhu.
I like statistics.:)

Of course the real performances and results will decide. PTfan is simply predicting their outcome. No one is arguing to ban Sandhu based on his age. :biggrin:

wallylutz

Medalist
Jeff Buttle, who is merely 2 years younger than Sandhu and retired only one year after him, just skated a Free Skate with a clean Triple Axel at last month's Japan Open. Without that Triple Axel, Team North America would have lost to Team Europe for the Gold medal. That shows you the dedication of a supposedly retired skater. Buttle also has not been training full time and has been dedicating his time on other work, yet he still has all his triples. Is it so inconceivable that Sandhu could still have all six Triples if, unlike Buttle, he has been training full time to regain his abilities despite the mere 2 years of age difference?

There is a lot of things you can do with quadless programs with just 6 types of Triples. It will also allow you to focus more on the non-jump elements and the PCS. Since Sandhu didn't say his goal is to become World Champion, I think it's conceivable that an athletic and well presented Sandhu will be a formidable competitior to anyone, including Patrick Chan. After all, it's not as if Sandhu has been living on Mars for the last two years. He knows who is top gun in Canada now and he happens to be the reigning World Champion and the Guiness World record holder for highest scores ever in SP, LP and Total Score. Plushenko came out of retirement in part because Russia had no prospect, not so in Canada. Sandhu knows Canada doesn't need him the way Russia desperately needed Plushenko but yet he chose to make this come back an obvious personal fulfillment and I can only wish him well, admire his courage & love for this sport. This is not another Fumie Suguri.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Of course the real performances and results will decide. PTfan is simply predicting their outcome. No one is arguing to ban Sandhu based on his age. :biggrin:

He's writing Sandhu off based on age alone. I'm debating that premise and reasoning, which apply to more than just Sandhu. There are many individual factors to look at. Soon enough we will see an indication of where Sandhu is at, though I don't expect him to be near amazing at the first competition after being away for a few years.

eta :thumbsup: to Wallylutz's post. Very well said.

Last edited: