Emanuel Sandhu makes a return to competition! | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Emanuel Sandhu makes a return to competition!

seniorita

Record Breaker
^ Why, didnt Fumie have love and courage for the sport?

Random question, had Plushenko and Takahashi been also in Guiness?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I am not writing Sandhu off based on age alone. I am writing him off based on the fact his SKATING (not just his mind, inconsistency, etc...) was already in major decline in the 06-07 season. So basically there is already evidence of him showing the aging effect or being past his prime 5 whole years ago. Apparently I am the only one who either even followed skating seriously in that post Olympic season or has a good (or unbiased) memory so those of you who cant see the obvious continue your fantasies. Sandhu competitive with Chan at 31, the same Chan who is a good 5 falls ahead of the rest of the World now, when at 26 Sandhu was barely competitive with Christophe Mabee anymore. Haha, thanks I needed a good laugh.

Like I said I imagine Sandhu is just using this as a platform to get his name out so he can join a skating show. I doubt he has any delusions of grand competitive success like some in this thread. I wish him the best on that quest. A top 5 finish at Canadians (probably a max goal for him at this point) could get his name out there enough again to join something like the Canadian Stars on Ice.

PS- if you say he isnt another Fumie Suguri I presume you mean he isnt back with delusions of great competitive success as she continues to have, in which case his comeback IMO is totally fine as I said in my first post, so what are we even bothering to discuss here anyway.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I am not writing Sandhu off based on age alone. I am writing him off based on the fact his SKATING (not just his mind, inconsistency, etc...) was already in major decline in the 06-07 season. So basically there is already evidence of him showing the aging effect or being past his prime 5 whole years ago. Apparently I am the only one who either even followed skating seriously in that post Olympic season or has a good (or unbiased) memory so those of you who cant see the obvious continue your fantasies. Sandhu competitive with Chan at 31, the same Chan who is a good 5 falls ahead of the rest of the World now, when at 26 Sandhu was barely competitive with Christophe Mabee anymore. Haha, thanks I needed a good laugh.

Like I said I imagine Sandhu is just using this as a platform to get his name out so he can join a skating show. I doubt he has any delusions of grand competitive success like some in this thread. I wish him the best on that quest. A top 5 finish at Canadians (probably a max goal for him at this point) could get his name out there enough again to join something like the Canadian Stars on Ice.

PS- if you say he isnt another Fumie Suguri I presume you mean he isnt back with delusions of great competitive success as she continues to have, in which case his comeback IMO is totally fine as I said in my first post, so what are we even bothering to discuss here anyway.

Nobody else but you is predicting Sandhu's competitive results. Those who support his comeback are open to how he would do but wish him the best with understanding of his past "failures" and their causes as well as the probable motivation of his return to the sport competitively. You have shown yourself to be someone who always sees or projects only the worst motives and agendas in others, and praises any achievement and success in negative terms, so this may be hard for you to understand.

I would wish the best for anybody who wishes to amend the past and to prove himself or herself a worthy success. Everybody deserves redeeming chances. In Sandhu's case, there is also the selfish desire to witness and enjoy some extraordinary performances on ice, regardles of the technical level. I am completely open to a technically brilliant Sandhu nonetheless. What you ridicule as fantasies are often history making dreams without which humans would not have progressed.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I really hope for Sandhu to become skating's Cinderella man. And if not that, I just hope to see him skate. I'm an adult skater who rediscovered his love for the sport sixteen years after first taking lessons. Yes, I'm eyeing passing the adult gold test and earning my gold bar--to some, that may be impossible. To me, and hopefully Eman has the same mindset- I don't really care.

skatefiguring said:
Nobody else but you is predicting Sandhu's competitive results. Those who support his comeback are open to how he would do but wish him the best with understanding of his past "failures" and their causes as well as the probable motivation of his return to the sport competitively. You have shown yourself to be someone who always sees or projects only the worst motives and agendas in others, and praises any achievement and success in negative terms, so this may be hard for you to understand.
Why do you have to personalize it and go into attack mode? Sandhu is obviously taking a huge risk and there will be many who doubt his ability to pull it off, just as with any comeback attempt (read some 2009-2010 Sasha threads if you doubt that). Do you want there to be no differences of opinion on the forum?

FWIW I too predict a poor outcome for Sandhu as I remember him being overweight and undertrained the last time I saw him compete. Doesn't mean I don't hope it will turn out better, since I loved his feline grace and plushy jumps (no pun intended!), but wishes are not horses (or medals). PTfan also mentioned at least twice that his comeback attempt, even if unsuccessful competitively, might lead to a pro career for him. That's not writing him off as a skater, just as a competitive contender.

wallylutz

Medalist
Why do you have to personalize it and go into attack mode? Sandhu is obviously taking a huge risk and there will be many who doubt his ability to pull it off, just as with any comeback attempt (read some 2009-2010 Sasha threads if you doubt that). Do you want there to be no differences of opinion on the forum?

FWIW I too predict a poor outcome for Sandhu as I remember him being overweight and undertrained the last time I saw him compete. Doesn't mean I don't hope it will turn out better, since I loved his feline grace and plushy jumps (no pun intended!), but wishes are not horses (or medals). PTfan also mentioned at least twice that his comeback attempt, even if unsuccessful competitively, might lead to a pro career for him. That's not writing him off as a skater, just as a competitive contender.

Did you also happen to include an ulterior motive in your prediction (i.e. eyeing for a CSOI contract, the comeback is only a farce)? Consider the quoted poster's repeated negativity and grossly exaggerated claims over a long period of time and most recent one today, e.g. X skater has a 5 falls advantage over anyone else :rolleye: , I can understand the frustration here. Plus, if you feel a certain poster is on attack mode, talk to him/her via PM please, no need to add fuel on fire and create a flame war out of this. Thank you for your understanding.

skatinginbc

Medalist
Those "older" generations that have a true love for skating, that find joy in skating, will always get my emotional support even if they are no longer competitive as they were. But I somehow fear that loss of direction or purpose in life, rather than love for skating, is what brings Sandhu back. I hope my worry is baseless and that he can find happiness in skating.

Did you also happen to include an ulterior motive in your prediction (i.e. eyeing for a CSOI contract, the comeback is only a farce)? Consider the quoted poster's repeated negativity and grossly exaggerated claims over a long period of time and most recent one today, e.g. X skater has a 5 falls advantage over anyone else :rolleye: , I can understand the frustration here. Plus, if you feel a certain poster is on attack mode, talk to him/her via PM please, no need to add fuel on fire and create a flame war out of this. Thank you for your understanding.
I don't have much awareness of PTfan's posting history but I didn't read his/her posts in this thread as attributing false motives to Sandhu... at least not in any exceptional way. People have said the same thing about Cohen, Weir, Kwan... pretty much any skater has to keep their name in the news in order to get show gigs, and competing (or hinting that you'll compete) is the way to do it.

As for your advice to me about criticizing posters via PM rather than a public post, is there a reason why this is addressed to me and not the poster who criticized PTfan? Be consistent at least.

wallylutz

Medalist
As for your advice to me about criticizing posters via PM rather than a public post, is there a reason why this is addressed to me and not the poster who criticized PTfan? Be consistent at least.

Because you used accusatory terms, i.e. the word "attack" to talk about a personal matter with someone else. If you found someone else using the phrase "attack another poster or __(name of poster)___", please let me know, I'll say the same thing to that person. BTW, it's an advice trying to keep this place civil and friendly, not for or against anyone. I really hate flame wars and I sensed this could degenerate into another shouting match, hence, kindly asked you to take it to the PM if you have an OT "beef" with certain poster and keep this thread on topic.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

It is not a personal attack if I simply state an observed fact/behaviour without labeling. You are perceiving the stated fact as "bad" and therefore a personal attack deserving a counter attack instead of disputing my statements with "no, PTfan never or rarely does what you say he does" with supporting facts and evidence. I will then apologize and retract if you can demontrate that my observation was wrong.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Actually my statements of last season of Chan having a 5 fall advantage over the others (putting it down to just vastly superior abilities than the others currently, flawed judging system, biased judging in favor of Chan or against others, whatever combination you choose to attribute it to) were laughed at initially yet by seasons end most people saw that I was actually right all along, and it wasnt even an exagerration. After all last season Chan won his first event with 4 falls over a silver medalist with 1, very nearly won his second event with the equivalent of 7 falls worth of mistakes to someone who skated cleanly, and then won the GP final and Worlds by roughly a 5 fall margin. So much for the gross exagerration of the truth, which in fact was merely the truth. Maybe this season things will change slightly, already Chan has won his first GP outing with a flawed short program and 2 falls in the long though, so probably not too much.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
But you refuse to analyze every other skater in those terms, which makes it a frustrating and poor tactic in terms of debate.

wallylutz

Medalist
But you refuse to analyze every other skater in those terms, which makes it a frustrating and poor tactic in terms of debate.

The quote in this post was clearly set in present tense, that the said skater has a 5 falls advantage over anyone else in reference to the skepticism re: Sandhu's comeback. It certainly wasn't that the Chan had 5 falls advantage last season. Of course, we all know Chan could not have won Skate Canad with 5 falls yet the said poster is now backtracking to state he/she really meant last season. :rolleye: Anyway, I think it's pretty obvious such divergence from the topic at hand is pointless. Frankly, I don't know what Sandhu really think in his attempt to come back. But I think he deserved to be given a chance through these qualifier events, which btw, will be streamed live so everyone can see for himself/herself how Sandhu is doing by the end of this week. Then, we can discuss in more details on whether he still has the goods or not.

sgower

Rinkside
Interesting debate. Personally I can't wait to see what Emanuel brings to the competition. It will be live streaming on the Skating in BC website (or linked from there). If you are interested, the Sr. Men are skating at 2:35pm Pacific Time on Friday Nov. 11th. I don't think there is any geo-blocking.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Actually my statements of last season of Chan having a 5 fall advantage over the others (putting it down to just vastly superior abilities than the others currently, flawed judging system, biased judging in favor of Chan or against others, whatever combination you choose to attribute it to) were laughed at initially yet by seasons end most people saw that I was actually right all along, and it wasnt even an exagerration. After all last season Chan won his first event with 4 falls over a silver medalist with 1, very nearly won his second event with the equivalent of 7 falls worth of mistakes to someone who skated cleanly, and then won the GP final and Worlds by roughly a 5 fall margin. So much for the gross exagerration of the truth, which in fact was merely the truth. Maybe this season things will change slightly, already Chan has won his first GP outing with a flawed short program and 2 falls in the long though, so probably not too much.

Isn't this the fine example of your negative exagerations? You've been saying over and over that Chan will win with 6 to 10 falls because of judges' favoritism. You are now back tracking with "fall equivalents" as defined by you alone and assigned to Chan alone. To call Chan's clean and decisive, even mutiple records breaking, wins at the the GPF and Worlds as a "5 fall margin" is exactly the negative praise I described. And a "7 fall equivalent" "almost win" has been deemed worthy of constant derisive proclamations for almost a year. You prove my point about your perspective.

Anyways, so this weekend will be BC stream in the day and NHK stream at night? :eek:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think it's conceivable that an athletic and well presented Sandhu will be a formidable competitior to anyone, including Patrick Chan.

Competitive in what? Certainly not skating :) Patrick is 3 falls better than the other top competitors, so maybe 5 or 6 falls better than Sandhu.