ESPN Mulls Renewing ISU skating contract (Hersh Spec) | Golden Skate

ESPN Mulls Renewing ISU skating contract (Hersh Spec)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Who would have thought? I thought for sure they were on the way out. Now, that may still be so, but this shows that at least they are considering the possibility of keeping it.

If such a deal goes through, (speculation only!) ESPN would likely only broadcast worlds and webcast the rest of the events. (Live, I hope?)

http://www.latimes.com/sports/olymp...-headlines-sports-olympics&ctrack=1&cset=true

ESPN, seemingly headed for the exit as a skating broadcaster, is considering a renewal of its international rights contract with the International Skating Union, the Chicago Tribune has learned.

ISU President Ottavio Cinquanta confirmed by telephone that he had flown to New York last month for meetings with ESPN executives.

"I don't know yet how good a possibility this is," Cinquanta said.

[snip]

The lure now for ESPN, which telecasts the worlds and Grand Prix series other than Skate America, is that the 2009 world championships are in Los Angeles.

In one iteration of the deal under discussion, the worlds could be the only event ESPN actually televises. The network could show the rest of the Grand Prix Series as webcasts.

dewey

Rinkside
I was poking around ESPN website, and it seems they re-launched ESPN 360 this summer with the hope of providing more coverage for "niche" sports. I hope this means that more skating will be available to us.

R.D.

Record Breaker
This could also mean that ESPN might be open to taking US skating rights back if NBC passes on it after 2010...

Since NBC's main interest is getting the ratings for the Olys, I don't think it will keep figure skating alive after 2010. Even now, its interest is soley on major events in the USA. We still don't know if it will carry the Worlds 2009 in LA.

I think ESPN sees the void left by NBC for other major events and is willing to fulfill that need but the question is what monies are we talking about? Nobody jumped in to take over the void, so ESPN (ABC) is in the driver's seat, and Cinquanta is looking for a lift.

We'll see how this plays out.

Joe