Hersh Article: Announces TV Hosts for Nationals, Kwan Interested in Commentating | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Hersh Article: Announces TV Hosts for Nationals, Kwan Interested in Commentating

"I'm definitely interested."

That was the most interesting part of the article to me. Michelle :love: seemed to have put the highest priority on finishing her college degree on time and perhaps on preparing for a post-skating career in public service of some sort.

I don't think she can just jump in and replace Sandra Bezic. A few people have a natural gift of gab, but I don't believe that Michelle is one of them. This is the sort of thing that you have to prepare and train for. Maybe NBC will invite her to do some special features, then evaluate the possibilities for bringing her on board next year, prehaps in time for the Los Angeles Worlds.

merrybari

Final Flight
Thanks for the link. Seems the times are finally settled. Maybe we'll see Michelle next time - or maybe even this year in a guest capacity. IIRC they have done that before. i.e. Brian Boitano on Olympic Ice at 2006 Olympics.

About Michelle commentating, I think there is a difference between stepping in to make a few random comments and taking a serious interest in television journalism. For the latter, Michelle definitely needs training in modulating her voice.

Peggy Fleming writes in her book, The Long Program -- is that the worlds greatest title for an autobiography, or what?! :agree: -- she talks about how nervous, inexperienced and well, bad she was when she started out. For one thing, she dreaded working with Dick Button because she thought he didn't like her or her skating. To get that idea out of her head, Dick Button had to play a bunch of tapes for her of him commentating on her performances -- full of praise, of course. :laugh:

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
I don't know who Costas is, but as for the rest of the ppl mentioned, I think only Dick Button is capable of producing at least partially original, funny and meaningful comments.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Costas is NBC Sports' main man...he did the NBA for NBC back in the 90s, hosts the Olympics, NFL pre-game show, and major events like the Kentucky Derby and golf's US Open. His presence during the Nationals telecast means that NBC is taking this event seriously, and when seen from that point of view, it's a good thing.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Costas is NBC Sports' main man...he did the NBA for NBC back in the 90s, hosts the Olympics, NFL pre-game show, and major events like the Kentucky Derby and golf's US Open. His presence during the Nationals telecast means that NBC is taking this event seriously, and when seen from that point of view, it's a good thing.

And he knows nothing about figure skating?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
wow uncle dick and michelle!!! dreams do come true. Ratings for nationals will go through the roof!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
hating the line up of commentators...aside from Scott(for personal reasons more than because I think he's the best at his job, he's admittedly not)... I adore Jamie and David but I hate that NBC crowds the booth with analysts. It's frustrating. And something about Tracy's commentary has always bugged me. Sandra and Dick are far to condescending to their non-favorites that it bugs me to no end. and Costas Hammond and Andrea push the pro American sports stuff to a whole new level of annoying.

and I agree MK would need some training before she commentates, but then again so do/did a lot of "experts"...

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
And he knows nothing about figure skating?

He knows Sports from a wide perspective. He does not know the sport as an authority but does know the kinds of questions to ask to get skating experts to talk about the sport in an authoritatve and interesting manner.

He does NOT present himself as a skating authority, and that is much more honest than what many other sports hosts project to the viewer.

I find him to be one of the few consumate professionals in broadcasting in presenting sports on TV as Sport!