Eunsoo Lim to be coached by Arutunian | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Eunsoo Lim to be coached by Arutunian

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
"The Olympics showed us we don't have anything real…we don't have any girls," Arutunian said.

What a nice thing for Mariah to hear. :drama:

I'm interested in seeing how Marin and Eunsoo work out with Raf. Mao accomplished a lot of great things with him as her coach but who knows if it was just Mao being Mao. But then again he also had Jeff.

lavoix

Match Penalty
I think this is a good choice for her. I can't think of anyone else she could have gone to that could have improved her jumps. PCS will come, maybe the will get Zoueva involved.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
^She could've gone to BOrser, who improved and stabilized both Fernandez and Hanyu's jumps.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Sounds like a good news, though I didn't see it coming. Having Marin as teammate is interesting though, since both have weak spins. Eunsoo has much better jumps than Marin though.

shine

Record Breaker
I dont think Raf is the kind of coach who can be of use to help Eunsoo complete against the Russians. He isnt exactly great use for transition and skating skills which is exactly what Eunsoo is lacking against the Russian.

Maybe we should send her to Boyang's coach :biggrin:

aname

On the Ice
Adam's spins are always nice. he can do great lay-back spin when he was with BO, actually I just rewatched Adam's 2010 program, he is faster and with much more flow back then. There is actually more pure skating(whole body skating) and blade work to Adam's skating back then than his current all about showmanship.
Do you really like watching Adam's back crossovers circa 2010? To me, his back was pumping up and down way too much back then and it was quite jarring to watch. (Not the kind of whole body skating I appreciate.) Obviously he's still no Patrick Chan and his crossovers still don't look that smooth compared to some other skaters but in my eyes, he's gotten better over the years in that department.

Also, didn't Nathan mostly get his spin and step levels this season? And I thought people actually liked his step sequences this year and thought his programs were pretty good, especially his Nemesis SP? IDK, it feels weird how in this thread people are suddenly talking about him as if he's been just doing sloppy steps and crappy programs the whole year with no attention to paid anything but the jumps... :scratch2:

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Hopefully she and Marin motivate and support each other through their shared circumstances of living halfway across the world and having to learn a foreign language.

sakurano

Final Flight
This is good news, I hope she will develop his talent even more, I loved his programs this year so I hope that the coach Raf can bring him what she needs.

tars

Record Breaker
Hopefully she and Marin motivate and support each other through their shared circumstances of living halfway across the world and having to learn a foreign language.
My two favourite skaters training and (hopefully) spending free time together - it's a dream come true for me! :yahoo::dance2:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Looks like with Adam and maybe Ashley hanging it up Raf has just reloaded with Marin and Eunsoo.

icybear

Medalist

What has Boyang or his coach got anything to do with this? Or is my comment agitating you just because he coaches a certain someone? What a pity. Eunsoo is better off going to a coach who cares about transitions and skating skill.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker

That's not just completely unrelated to anything said in this thread and an obvious attempt at picking a fight, it's IMO even backfiring because... I don't see how Boyangs coach would be a worse choice. Hard to argue, since I'm not familiar with any students of theirs outside Boyang, and it makes a lot more sense to evaluate a coaches work with more then one skater. But, well.

I'm honestly surprised Eunsoo is going to Raf now, after Marin too. With Marin, I at least got it might be to help with her jumps and help her get them consistent and consistently rotated (even if I still think that likely wouldn't be enough, but who knows). But in Eunsoos case, her jumps are like... one of the last things she needs to work on. And she's far from a bad competitor. The areas Raf can help with are some she doesn't need help with, and all the areas she needs help in are ones the majority of his students don't exactly excel in either. So this is very... confusing to me? This move takes a lot of guts, and I wish her all the best, but I'm more worried about this then excited. Hopefully she'll get along well with Marin and they'll help, support and challenge each other.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
I’m wondering why this promising young talent (Marin, Eunsoo) is going to Raf

He is known primarily as a jump coach - Nathan has said he primarily(exclusively?) works on jumps with Raf.

Although Raf is not the only one on Team Raf, just based on results - it doesn’t appear that the others are top coaches for spins and SS. As much as I love Nathan’s step sequences (like in Nemesis) - I’m not sure he has improved much in these areas - see Nationals 2015 Michael Jackson SP for reference. He was fortunate to already have a strong base before moving to Raf.

Other than Nathan - the only student to have survived Raf since childhood - the more recent Raf students who have had the most success with him were already adults when they went to him - Ashley, Adam, Michal Brezina, Romain Ponsart

It is Nathan’s success that has greatly enhanced Raf’s desirability as a top coach?

aname

On the Ice
Although Raf is not the only one on Team Raf, just based on results - it doesn’t appear that the others are top coaches for spins and SS. As much as I love Nathan’s step sequences (like in Nemesis) - I’m not sure he has improved much in these areas - see Nationals 2015 Michael Jackson SP for reference. He was fortunate to already have a strong base before moving to Raf.
I don't quite follow. Raf has been Nathan's main coach since 2011/12, right? So, are you saying Nathan had a good base before moving to Raf (i.e. before 2011 or so) and hasn't made any real improvements in his spins and SS after that, as evidenced by his Michael Jackson SP?

rnois13

On the Ice
It's different with TCC though. It's a private club, so it's set up to have security and be closed to the public. Whereas Lakewood is more of a public rink, one of the Anaheim Duck's rinks. It has Learn to Skate, public sessions, birthday parties, hockey, etc.
exactly, I wondered about better security because it is more a hockey club and public environment than a fs club. Raf will now be keeping int'l star skaters who are kids working far away from home and are rivals in nationality. Surely Raf is aware of this and will have the general manager of the rinks to be prepared when the japanese and korean media come and possible trespassers that may disrupt their training.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Ok I realize that probably doesn’t make much sense.

I am a Nathan fan. I don’t think he’s made a lot of improvement in spins and SS since 2015. As far as I know - Nathan and his mom moved to California for full time training with Raf at the end of 2012. Nathan had worked with Raf part time since 2011 - he and his mom would drive from Salt Lake City to Lake Arrowhead so Nathan could get coaching on jumps. But he was still with his coach in Utah from 2011 to the end of 2012.

He may have made improvements in spins, SS from 2012-2015 - the period of time he was with Raf before he focused on quads.

Nevertheless, there isn’t much evidence that any skaters have made a lot of noticeable improvement in these areas since joining Team Raf - and please feel free to correct me if I’m wrong here.

georgia

On the Ice
Ok I realize that probably doesn’t make much sense.

I am a Nathan fan. I don’t think he’s made a lot of improvement in spins and SS since 2015. As far as I know - Nathan and his mom moved to California for full time training with Raf at the end of 2012. Nathan had worked with Raf part time since 2011 - he and his mom would drive from Salt Lake City to Lake Arrowhead so Nathan could get coaching on jumps. But he was still with his coach in Utah from 2011 to the end of 2012.

He may have made improvements in spins, SS from 2012-2015 - the period of time he was with Raf before he focused on quads.

Nevertheless, there isn’t much evidence that any skaters have made a lot of noticeable improvement in these areas since joining Team Raf - and please feel free to correct me if I’m wrong here.
What? Lol nothing makes sense to me. Let’s talk about his spins because his quads are obvious work of RAF, so no one in the right mind will doubt that.I watched the star on ice tapes and his spins blow me away. At worlds his spins get level 4. Really now?