Eurosport Updates | Page 20 | Golden Skate

Eurosport Updates

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Did you see my post just above? Spoke too soon. Going forward could be a problem but at least there's only 2 scheduled ski races on same day as skating - Women's Downhill on Wednesday - no Ladies short live! and Women's Combined on Friday. However not a lot you can do unless you wait up till midnight or something and see if the skiing's been cancelled or delayed or something.

No chance! I stayed up to midnight for the Millennium, and that was enough for me. No, I'm an "early to bed" sort of person. It's very rarely I even see 10 o'clock.

BTW did you notice there's a second programme on the Player, after the skiing they showed all of last 2 groups on E2, not 'as live' but with commercials, but at least everyone was on it.

Yep I did see that there was another programme on. Because, it had just started when I put the TV on this morning, cueing minor panic as to what on Earth was going on!

And I also posted about it as soon as the computer got started up.

I also explained about the changes to programmes when I edited my Reminder Post this morning.

Edit. Thinking about it we could do with the Women's Downhill being cancelled, that way if you record everything on E1 you might just get the Ladies Short by chance, worked earlier on in the Olympics (they didn't change the programme names then...).

That is what really got me - the inconsistency. As you say, it worked out well last when when they didn't change the EPG. So, I was expecting the same to happen again if there was weather disruption.

Weather affecting the Downhill on Wednesday might work out in our favour, because the FIS would probably do the same as Thursday and reschedule it so that it is sandwiched in between the Men's Slalom on the following day (also a Thursday). Because of the day off between the Ladies SP and their FS.

But, that won't make any difference for Friday, when the Women's Combined and the Ladies FS clash.

You know, I am getting really angry about the way Eurosport is planning to show both the Women's Combined and the Ladies FS on ESP1. For goodness sake, they're not showing anything LIVE on ESP2 at the same time. So, why not put one of them onto it?!

The mind boggles.

CaroLiza_fan

Miller

Final Flight
That is what really got me - the inconsistency. As you say, it worked out well last when when they didn't change the EPG. So, I was expecting the same to happen again if there was weather disruption.

Weather affecting the Downhill on Wednesday might work out in our favour, because the FIS would probably do the same as Thursday and reschedule it so that it is sandwiched in between the Men's Slalom on the following day (also a Thursday). Because of the day off between the Ladies SP and their FS.

But, that won't make any difference for Friday, when the Women's Combined and the Ladies FS clash.

You know, I am getting really angry about the way Eurosport is planning to show both the Women's Combined and the Ladies FS on ESP1. For goodness sake, they're not showing anything LIVE on ESP2 at the same time. So, why not put one of them onto it?!

The mind boggles.

CaroLiza_fan

Yep, it's absolutely crazy, you'd think they realise the Ladies Gold Medal is one of the biggest of the games, but then again last night they weren't going to show the men's. It's only by chance we happened to get Simon/Chris' commentary on the extra versions. Are you able to record the BBC Red Button (Sky channel 980) BTW? That has worked really well for me, Robin Cousins is a really good commentator IMO and the BBC does definitely seems to be prioritising figure skating. They're showing highlights (with Christopher Dean) about 2.45 p.m. every day, and on BBC4 at 8 p.m., plus in the middle of the night they seem definitely happy to show it. However unfortunately there's now curling on the Red Button until about 3 a.m. so that's not so good for the Ladies SP/LP, not clear if there's anything we can do other than pick up from the Player in the morning and then whatever we can manage to record.

rinkside_user

On the Ice
1. Is it just a local thing or is ESP1 indeed always changing the planned schedule? It's the third day in a row where I started to record in HD on ESP1 only to find out later they were showing skiing instead. Thankfully, ESP4-5 are still live.

2. Who the hell are these commentators on ESP4-5? The male one can't pronounce names (Kerry Brendan, Vincent Zhao, Shona Uno, Umo Shona, SHONA UMO) and the female one is so terribly DULL I can't. Gimme Simon, Chris and Nicky please.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
1. Is it just a local thing or is ESP1 indeed always changing the planned schedule? It's the third day in a row where I started to record in HD on ESP1 only to find out later they were showing skiing instead. Thankfully, ESP4-5 are still live.

The weather has really wreaked havoc with the Alpine skiing schedules. And since it is higher up in Eurosport's pecking order than figure skating, the figure skating has been bumped off.

2. Who the hell are these commentators on ESP4-5? The male one can't pronounce names (Kerry Brendan, Vincent Zhao, Shona Uno, Umo Shona, SHONA UMO) and the female one is so terribly DULL I can't. Gimme Simon, Chris and Nicky please.

The male one is Canadian sports commentator Jim Van Horne. He was also commentating on a couple of figure skating competitions last season for the Olympic Channel, and it's safe to say he is not an expert.

The female one is former multiple Australian Ladies and Pairs champion Belinda Coulthard, now using her married name of Belinda Noonan. As a former skater, she knows what she is talking about. But she talks FAR too much.

Simon and Chris are commentating on the normal Eurosport 1 or 2 coverage. Although, I got a pleasant surprise this morning when I put on the archived World Feed stream of the Men's SP from the Eurosport Player, and heard their voices instead of Jim and Belinda.

I haven't watched the Men's FS yet (that's what I'm doing tomorrow), but I hope this is going to be a regular thing and not a one-off! ;) :biggrin:

Nicky Slater has emigrated to Canada and is pursuing a music career. So, I doubt if he'll be back commentating on Eurosport.

Incidentally, Catherine Whittaker is in Pyeongchang, but isn't commentating. Instead, she's acting as a roving reporter.

And Mark Hanretty is still competing on "Dancing On Ice" with Donna Air. (Although, they were in the bottom 2 last week).

I think that's everybody accounted for.

CaroLiza_fan

brushalley

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Thankyou I wondered what had happened to Nicky. He just disappeared.Really miss his dance expertise.Much preferred him to Mark.

rinkside_user

On the Ice
Thank you for the extremely detailed answer, much appreciated!

The weather has really wreaked havoc with the Alpine skiing schedules. And since it is higher up in Eurosport's pecking order than figure skating, the figure skating has been bumped off.

Oh, I thought it was a one-time only stuff, but makes sense then. I'm very sad not being able to hear Judit Fürst commentating (a former ISU judge, she's a walking book of knowledge on everything from the inner circles of figure skating - stuff you won't see written anywhere online).

The female one is former multiple Australian Ladies and Pairs champion Belinda Coulthard, now using her married name of Belinda Noonan. As a former skater, she knows what she is talking about. But she talks FAR too much.

It's one thing she talks too much but oh boy is she BORING. She's calling the elements and... that's all? I wouldn't consider empty phrases like "that was nice", "he/she seems happy", "what an athlete" and other placeholder/filler fluff quality commentating...

And Mark Hanretty is still competing on "Dancing On Ice" with Donna Air. (Although, they were in the bottom 2 last week).

Ouch, I'm not a huge fan of him tbh due to his very heavy Scottish accent and he's not particularly insightful either (plus sometimes he is a bit biased). Simon and Chris anytime, please (+good luck for Nicky in Canada).

Miller

Final Flight
One thing about recording in the middle of the night. The BBC's programme name is always the same - Winter Olympics, so won't be affected by schedule changes, unlike ESP where you've got to take your chances. If you're willing to record BBC1 and fast forward through afterwards that may be a better bet, however you do have to take your chance on what they might be showing. Personally, if figure skating is not scheduled I'd take my chances on BBC1 (plus record the Red Button), but if it is go with E1, however if skiing or something is delayed then you're likely to be up the creek.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
So, I made a major mistake last night.

I knew that Eurosport 1 was crossing over to the Short Dance when the Big Air Snowboarding Qualification was finished (I'm not a fan of Freestyle Snowboarding – or Freestyle Skiing, for that matter – but I wanted to see how my local Olympian, Aimee Fuller, got on). So, I set the Sky+ for the Snowboarding and for the programme after it.

What I forgot is that Eurosport splits the programmes at 02:00 GMT. Consequently, I had actually set 2 Snowboarding programmes, and hadn't set the Short Dance at all! :bang: :bang: :bang:

To make matters worse, the Eurosport coverage of the Short Dance hasn't been archived. :eek: And the World Feed coverage has also disappeared! :eek:

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

As I am not that keen on Freestyle Snowboarding, I was putting off watching the other event Aimee was in: the Slopestyle. But, since I knew the Eurosport highlights would be expiring today (it had been rescheduled from last Sunday to last Monday), I decided to watch it yesterday.

While I was on the schedule page for last Monday, I noticed that the block where the programme changes occurred that morning on Eurosport 1 was completely empty (it was not due to expire until this morning). The thing is, though: I knew that that block had previously been archived, because I had edited into my Reminder post the times to fast forward to for the start of each segment.

Out of curiosity, I then went onto the On Demand on Sky, and it was gone there too. Which surprised me, because the On Demand service on Sky usually keeps things up longer than the Eurosport Player website (Sky keeps them to the end of the day, whereas the Player website keeps them until the time the programme ended).

The gist of it all is that Eurosport are removing broadcasts from the archives before they are supposed to.

I was planning on breaking away from the Olympics, because I still have to watch a few things that are expiring in the next few days (e.g. Europeans Gala, all of 4 Continents).

But, I can't do that now if Eurosport are going back to their old habits of not archiving everything, and leaving it as a lottery as to what will be archived and what won't.

I was expecting better than that for the Olympics.

We were so impressed with what they have been doing so far with archiving the programmes during the Olympics. So, why change now?

CaroLiza_fan

lyverbird1

Final Flight
I've just watched the short dance highlights and pre-watershed they've left out one of the leading programmes. Can't imagine why...

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
To make matters worse, the Eurosport coverage of the Short Dance hasn't been archived. :eek: And the World Feed coverage has also disappeared! :eek:
I haven't seen any ice Dance SD show up in the archives at all, and I was hoping to rewatch a few short dances. I can look them up elsewhere, of course, but this is easier. I just don't understand why the stream isn't there?

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I haven't seen any ice Dance SD show up in the archives at all, and I was hoping to rewatch a few short dances. I can look them up elsewhere, of course, but this is easier. I just don't understand why the stream isn't there?

Same here.

I know it won't help you, but I just checked Eurosport's On Demand service on Sky, and the Short Dance isn't there either. And that is despite there being stuff that was shown after it being uploaded already.

That said, there was one of the skating broadcasts last week that took a few days to appear on the Sky service. But, the difference is that it was a change of programme, so presumably needed a bit longer to get nicely trimmed. The other difference is that it had been available on the Player website straight away, albeit under the wrong name.

I taped the Free Dance this morning. So, what I'll do is put off watching all of the Ice Dance until after the Olympics are finished in the hope that the Short will eventually appear. And then, if it doesn't appear by the day it is due to expire, I'll reluctantly go straight to the Free Dance.

In the meantime, I've started watching the Europeans Gala (which expires this morning), plus I've got all of 4 Continents (which starts expiring on Friday) and the Olympic Men's FS still to watch.

All that and a new satellite system to set up (got everything wired up before the Olympics, but didn't get the dish aligned. And haven't had a chance to get back to it since).

So, plenty to keep me busy!

CaroLiza_fan

Miller

Final Flight

Same here.

I know it won't help you, but I just checked Eurosport's On Demand service on Sky, and the Short Dance isn't there either. And that is despite there being stuff that was shown after it being uploaded already.

That said, there was one of the skating broadcasts last week that took a few days to appear on the Sky service. But, the difference is that it was a change of programme, so presumably needed a bit longer to get nicely trimmed. The other difference is that it had been available on the Player website straight away, albeit under the wrong name.

I taped the Free Dance this morning. So, what I'll do is put off watching all of the Ice Dance until after the Olympics are finished in the hope that the Short will eventually appear. And then, if it doesn't appear by the day it is due to expire, I'll reluctantly go straight to the Free Dance.

CaroLiza_fan

It'll be because of Gabriella's wardrobe malfunction. As per lyverbird1's post it was left out of the highlights programme, and they obviously decided not to load it onto the Player. To my mind it shows what a cheapskate operation Eurosport is, the BBC simply pixellated it out, and were happy to show mid-afternoon and in the evening, however Eurosport are obviously not capable of this. Whether it'll appear I don't know, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

On other matters the Women's Combined on Friday has been moved forward to Thursday, so there'll more coverage of the Ladies LP on Friday morning, 2 a.m. to 5 a.m. i.e. final 3 groups. One thing to watch out for, the programme runs 2 a.m. to 5 a.m., but the Men's Free time schedule finished at 5.09 a.m., something to watch out for if recording...

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
It looks like after punishing us earlier in the Olympics, the weather gods might now be looking down in our favour.

I heard in the Nordic Combined commentary (of all places!) that there have been changes to the Alpine schedule, as there is bad weather forecast towards the end of the week. So, I just looked it up.

The Women's Downhill is still on Wednesday morning. But, Thursday's training for the Downhill portion of the Women's Combined has been cancelled. The reason being is that they are holding the actual competition instead!

So, instead of the Women's Combined being on Friday, it is now alternating with the Men's Slalom on Thursday.

Thursday 22[SUP]nd[/SUP] February 2018

10:00 KST (01:00 GMT / 02:00 CET): 1[SUP]st[/SUP] Run of Men's Slalom
11:30 KST (02:30 GMT / 03:30 CET): Downhill Run of Women's Combined
13:30 KST (04:30 GMT / 05:30 CET): 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Run of Men's Slalom
15:00 KST (06:00 GMT / 07:00 CET): Slalom Run of Women's Combined

The Mixed Team Event (a Parallel Slalom) is still pencilled in for Saturday. So, I think that the FIS are not that worried about whether they get to run it or not.

All of which means that if everything goes to plan, there will be no clashes with the figure skating on Friday! So, Eurosport should be able to show the Ladies FS LIVE! :cheer:

Fingers crossed that it all works out!

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
It'll be because of Gabriella's wardrobe malfunction. As per lyverbird1's post it was left out of the highlights programme, and they obviously decided not to load it onto the Player. To my mind it shows what a cheapskate operation Eurosport is, the BBC simply pixellated it out, and were happy to show mid-afternoon and in the evening, however Eurosport are obviously not capable of this. Whether it'll appear I don't know, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Ah. I hadn't heard about that. (I did wonder what on Earth lyverbird was on about!)

Yeah, your theory sounds plausible.

On other matters the Women's Combined on Friday has been moved forward to Thursday, so there'll more coverage of the Ladies LP on Friday morning, 2 a.m. to 5 a.m. i.e. final 3 groups. One thing to watch out for, the programme runs 2 a.m. to 5 a.m., but the Men's Free time schedule finished at 5.09 a.m., something to watch out for if recording...

I've just posted about that as well! We must have been typing at the same time! ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Well, pffft. I never even noticed the stupid wardrobe malfunction until someone posted a photo of it on-line. So much drama over nothing. :drama:

pearly

Record Breaker
Why not just cut out one dance if they can't edit it. I was sure they were gonna post it again.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Well, pffft. I never even noticed the stupid wardrobe malfunction until someone posted a photo of it on-line. So much drama over nothing. :drama:

Me neither and honestly, I'm surprised anyone at "EUROsport" of all places care about this. I guess, that's the Discovery factor coming in. This is Europe! Don't they watch TV over here? (It's not something to be ashamed of anyway)

Miller

Final Flight
Eurosport UK now planning to show whole of Ladies Free live. Was 2 a.m. to 5 a.m., now 1 a.m. to 5 a.m., plus advertising it on their 'blurbs'. Sounds pretty definite, hopefully. Can't speak for other Eurosports, but well worth checking.

russell30

Final Flight
Eurosport UK now planning to show whole of Ladies Free live. Was 2 a.m. to 5 a.m., now 1 a.m. to 5 a.m., plus advertising it on their 'blurbs'. Sounds pretty definite, hopefully. Can't speak for other Eurosports, but well worth checking.

Thanks, also saw that too, lets hope and prey to see the full 4 groups, the ladies all seem pretty close to one another, should be some movement, lets hope they all skate reasonably clean to clean, should be a good event.

Miller

Final Flight
Thanks, also saw that too, lets hope and prey to see the full 4 groups, the ladies all seem pretty close to one another, should be some movement, lets hope they all skate reasonably clean to clean, should be a good event.

Unfortunately now no longer the case. Women's ski-cross re-scheduled for 12.45 to 2.30 a.m., figure skating after that. Hopefully nothing else will change and any recordings will be OK. Would imagine BBC Red Button will show early groups and then switch to BBC1 once the Ski Cross is over. Best of luck everyone with any recordings.