Evgenia Medvedeva retires, discusses permanent back damage | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Evgenia Medvedeva retires, discusses permanent back damage

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
This is sad news to hear, even though I had a feeling she might retire soon. I may not have been a big fan of hers, but I enjoyed her performances at Skate Canada 2019. Wishing her the best of luck in this new stage of her skating career and hoping she is healthy enough to do shows for many more years. 💕
Well said. My feelings exactly. And So many injuries in skating now. Still dont know what happened to Team O'Shea or Kanon Smith....Rika, where ever you are, we love you.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
All the big jumps at such a young age reminds me of the damage that can be done to young pitchers if they throw breaking balls too soon. Hopefully the sport will take a look at the health risks of the big jumps on growing bodies. I don't know what modifications can be made, but it does seem similar.
What you and moonvine said. My wife wont jump a dog in dog agility till the grow plates are closed at a certain age. Surely there are orthepedic surgeons and researchers out there that know about what damage can be caused by a 6 G landing day after day on children?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I don't think there are any more injuries than usual, the use of social media just makes it seem like more
Not saying you are wrong, but back in 1996, I would say there were less. Skating was huge and at one time, more watched than basketball in the US. Yes, the internet does bring them to the fore front.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Charlotte 71

On the Ice
All the big jumps at such a young age reminds me of the damage that can be done to young pitchers if they throw breaking balls too soon. Hopefully the sport will take a look at the health risks of the big jumps on growing bodies. I don't know what modifications can be made, but it does seem similar.
A few years ago, I remember a lot of criticism of USFS for not encouraging little skaters to train the big jumps early to compete with the Russians. We had kids winning Intermediate and Novice nationals with no triples but better skating skills and artistry. And everyone said, "Oh no, we're falling behind! We must start encouraging risk more!" And we have. Now we have Lindsay, Isabeau, Alysa, others coming up. But as somebody said on one of these forums a couple of days ago, fix the judging system to better balance jumps so they're not worth 75 percent of the TSS and other elements are emphasized in greater proportion. Then maybe we will have healthier skaters and more Jason Browns surviving long enough to become beautiful legends.

I wonder... how is Michelle Kwan's health these days? (Am I going to refer to Michelle Kwan as the ideal, all-around high watermark of skating history yet again? Why yes, I am...) She was part of the first generation of women skaters who were doing all-triple programs, triple-triples, and she competed in Seniors at age 12 and stuck around for, what was it, 11 or 12 seasons? She had hip problems at the end too, but is she living in debilitating pain now? Does she represent a helpful case study of a compromise among hard elements, good technique and longevity?

Last edited:

Thrashergurl

On the Ice
Michelle, from the very little she posts on social media, appears to be doing very well. She posts videos of skating and roller blading occasionally and In my mind if she came back she could still win or medal at US Nationals. (In my mind 😉). There will never be another skater like Michelle Kwan.

Back to Zhenya- I’m sad to hear this news, but not surprised. She was badly injured while competing the Olympic season. I’m sure her silver medal was devastating for her, but (like Kwan) she has won in so many other areas and didn’t let her loss define her. Initially I wasn’t a fan of Zhenya, but she definitely earned my respect and slowly won me over.

I hope she continues to be successful. She definitely has the personality for television and is so well spoken and marketable. I think she’ll find success whenever she goes.

Amei

Record Breaker
A few years ago, I remember a lot of criticism of USFS for not encouraging little skaters to train the big jumps early to compete with the Russians. We had kids winning Intermediate and Novice nationals with no triples but better skating skills and artistry. And everyone said, "Oh no, we're falling behind! We must start encouraging risk more!" And we have. Now we have Lindsay, Isabeau, Alysa, others coming up. But as somebody said on one of these forums a couple of days ago, fix the judging system to better balance jumps so they're not worth 75 percent of the TSS and other elements are emphasized in greater proportion. Then maybe we will have healthier skaters and more Jason Browns surviving long enough to become beautiful legends.

Oh yes, because the positions necessary to get level 4 spins are just super healthy moves.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A few years ago, I remember a lot of criticism of USFS for not encouraging little skaters to train the big jumps early to compete with the Russians. We had kids winning Intermediate and Novice nationals with no triples but better skating skills and artistry. And everyone said, "Oh no, we're falling behind! We must start encouraging risk more!" And we have. Now we have Lindsay, Isabeau, Alysa, others coming up. But as somebody said on one of these forums a couple of days ago, fix the judging system to better balance jumps so they're not worth 75 percent of the TSS and other elements are emphasized in greater proportion.

💯 Even several years ago, I was so glad for USFS to be having their priorities in the right place. In favor of artistry, skating skills well developed over time, competition longevity; in favor of women's skating not being dominated by 14 and 15 year olds. Of course, if anyone dared voice such a thing, they often got shouted down.

Fix the judging system.

What I love about Zhenya is her ability to become one with any piece, any style of music, and make a well-balanced program that utilized her athletic skill and her interpretative and performance abilities. I'm very glad that she is continuing to use her extraordinary talents in shows, and I hope she continues as long as ever she wants to. Those qualities want to be celebrated and balanced in competition too.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
💯 Even several years ago, I was so glad for USFS to be having their priorities in the right place. In favor of artistry, skating skills well developed over time, competition longevity; in favor of women's skating not being dominated by 14 and 15 year olds.
Are you being serious or sarcastic? Because, you know, a little girl named Alysa, aged 13-14 at the time,
wasn’t winning Nationals for 2 seasons due to her artistry or skating skills. USFS seemed to be very in favor of propping her up with generous scores ahead of Bradie and Mariah.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Are you being serious or sarcastic? Because, you know, a little girl named Alysa, aged 13-14 at the time,
wasn’t winning Nationals for 2 seasons due to her artistry or skating skills. USFS seemed to be very in favor of propping her up with generous scores ahead of Bradie and Mariah.
When I said 'several years ago,' I should have been more specific. I meant more than 2 or 3 years ago. Other people would know when the changes were made to encourage quads, etc for young girls. I only recall USFS being criticized, here and other places, for being behind the times and not putting more emphasis on being able at some point to be competitive with the Russian girls.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh yes, because the positions necessary to get level 4 spins are just super healthy moves.

I think you're right, although mine is a purely layman's take on things.

The human body is not designed to be contorted the way these skaters (particularly, but not exclusively, women) have to do.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
@Amei said:

I think you're right, although mine is a purely layman's take on things.

The human body is not designed to be contorted the way these skaters (particularly, but not exclusively, women) have to do.

My take is also a layman's and exclusively a figure skating fan's. But I can say unequivocally that I enjoy spins (and it seems to me especially women's spins) much less than I used to. They've lost a lot of their originality and musicality. Again, that's the fault of the scoring system.

Most spins look more or less the the same, and it's as if they're putting themselves through the paces to earn the maximum points. Boring. I take a 10-second nap - 'ho-hum' (maybe I go for a snack too :laugh:) at the beginning of any layback spin, because I know it's inevitably going to end up in a Biellmann, which I really don't enjoy watching. Ladies' laybacks used to often be highlights. Especially a well-positioned layback with visible connection to the music.

Last edited:

Mauvedreamer

Final Flight
Best wishes to her on the next stage of her life. She is multi talented and am sure will stay in the sport in some capacity. She has grown up and realised that there is a life after competitive skating. Just go and enjoy your life and be happy . Have fun live a little and chill out .. no need to rehash the past. Good She has found peace with the Olympic situation. Be proud of what you achieved . New beginnings . 🙏💙

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My take is also a layman's and exclusively a figure skating fan's. But I can say unequivocally that I enjoy spins (and it seems to me especially women's spins) much less than I used to. They've lost a lot of their originality and musicality. Again, that's the fault of the scoring system.

Most spins look more or less the the same, and it's as if they're putting themselves through the paces to earn the maximum points. Boring. I take a 10-second nap - 'ho-hum' (maybe I go for a snack too :laugh:) at the beginning of any layback spin, because I know it's inevitably going to end up in a Biellmann, which I really don't enjoy watching. Ladies' laybacks used to often be highlights. Especially a well-positioned layback with visible connection to the music.
I think that a good classic layback spin must be more difficult to achieve and sustain than a Biellmann spin.

A really excellent 1980s-1990s layback spin was relatively rare. But it seems every lady can hoist her leg over her head. They can do lots of positions, but only hold them for an instant. You can't really enjoy them.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
One advantage she has is that her plate is full and she will be kept busy.

She was so competitive that seeing what was out there besides competition opened her eyes and expanded her horizons. She can still be involved in skating without the pressure to compete.

Plus now she can travel the world, skate exhibitions and put smiles on peoples faces. Probably has more time do do that now that she doesn’t have to be in competition mode, with less hours being spent in the gym or rink.

And her fans can now relax, no more waiting to see if there will be a comeback.