Exhibitions | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Exhibitions

R.D.

Record Breaker
actually according to the USFS report she did "become teary eyed" at the press conference afterward

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Mathman said:
My favorite exhibition number was Fumie's :love:
I knew you'd say that, Mathman! It was one of mine, too. I normally flee from Cirque de Soleil (sp?) programs, but she was just wonderful. It was arty and playful at the same time. I'm still wondering what she was throwing to the audience. Thank you notes? Magic Fumie Fairy Dust? Shizuka's cell phone number with "for a good time, call..." scrawled above it? It's a mystery!
Kimmie's program was adorable. When the camera closed in on her face as the music started, her expression made me remember Dorothy saying to Toto, "I don't think we're in Kansas anymore. We must be over the rainbow!" And the dreams that she dared to dream really did come true. How cool is that?
The men's exhibition skates were all very interesting and well-skated, but it was Stephane's that was my favorite. Many skaters look silly in jeans and T-shirts, trying to skate artistically to a rock and roll number. Stephane doesn't have that problem at all. He was feeling the music enough to sing it to the crowd! And if all men looked that good in a well-fitting pair of blue jeans, it would be a perfect world. (IMHO)
It looked like the other four men could have been a Rusty Hanger competition all by themselves, didn't it? E-man was scary in lime green and sparkles. Oda's mama-san should never have let her son out of the house in that costume, I don't care if it ended up looking pretty appropriate for the video game-themed program. The first sight of him taking the ice was a shocker. Then Evan comes out wearing a shirt that looked like a caftan my grandma used to wear. And then there was...is it a robot? Is it a space alien from the Lightning League? Is it a tiny Goodyear Blimp? NO! It's Babou Joubert with yet another French costuming atrocity! I'm beginning to wonder if dressing that handsome boy in the most hideous costumes possible is a philosophical statement on the part of his designer. Perhaps, "look beyond the exterior, true beauty lies within!" Or maybe he's just a sadistic rat bastard. Whichever. Can someone help poor Babou find a flattering costume? Please?
What a fun exhibition. :clap:
xoxo
Rave

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lanie said:
I thought Sasha's exhibition was flat and uninspiring, like she was trying too hard to have fun.
I thought it was great. I think she looked happier than she did the day before. I'm glad I look through my eyes and see beautiful things.

Dee

southwest wind

Rinkside
Mathman...I thought Brian Joubert looked like the Tin Man too! :rofl: :rofl:

My memory might have been jogged because I was just at Sunday River and there is an Oz Bowl there and all the runs are named for WofO characters, but when he came out...whammo that was it...:rock:

SWW

Alsace

On the Ice
Nice pics, MM, but are there shots out there of the real rusty-hanger costumes? The descriptions are so intriguing!

jsteam4501s

On the Ice
I enjoyed Fumie, the Zhangs, Sasha and Evan.

OF COURSE I enjoyed Kimmie's skating, she was lovely and stylish. I just don't care for the modernized version of "Over the Rainbow". The blue dress is very lovely.

Gimmie Kimmie!!:clap:

Vash01

Medalist
My most favorite exhibition was by Drobiazko-Vanagas. They had a dramatic number with swords. They carried it to perfection- with Povilas catching the sword (thrown by Margarita) twice.

Vash

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Vash01 said:
My most favorite exhibition was by Drobiazko-Vanagas. They had a dramatic number with swords. They carried it to perfection- with Povilas catching the sword (thrown by Margarita) twice.

Vash

I didn't see that one! I feel cheated!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I didn't get to see it either. :mad: :mad: I love them. :love:

Dee

Vash01

Medalist
ESPN did not show some numbers. Shame on them if they did not show this extraordinary routine. They were throwing swords, catching them in the air perfectly, fighting with them, all this while skating. Finally Margarita threw away her robes and wore a lovely cream color outfit. They skated some more, with their usual passion. D&V received a standing O. for it.

Yukari's exhib to Amazing Grace was lovely; it almost reminded me of Yuka Sato's although Yukari is not at Yuka's level yet.

ESPN also changed the order in which the exhibitions were skated. That changed the effect of the overall event. The last ones to skate were Denkova-Staviyski and they were great. Stephane did receive the biggest cheer but Den-Sta received a huge one too.

Vash