Scoring standards for solo vs partnered dance | Golden Skate

Scoring standards for solo vs partnered dance

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
I came across this video of a solo Tango Romantica:

Although I've tested some patterns solo, I mostly do it partnered now. I'm not too familiar with solo dance as a competitive discipline.

I was just wondering if the technical requirements are a bit different compared to partnered dance? Definitely no disrespect meant towards the skater in this video (mad props in fact for doing such a hard dance solo). It's just that several steps look very different to what I thought was correct, e.g. timing on the BOITw1, quick choctaw, steps following the LFO rocker. Free leg position looks a bit odd too, but I guess that's often more of a stylistic choice.

Yet it was good enough to win a national championship, so presumably the tech panel didn't have any major complaints. Did they modify they way they judged, then? Or did they just not give key points and it just happened that this skate was the best of the field?

Coach Aimee

PSA Ranked
Rinkside
I was just wondering if the technical requirements are a bit different compared to partnered dance? Definitely no disrespect meant towards the skater in this video (mad props in fact for doing such a hard dance solo). It's just that several steps look very different to what I thought was correct, e.g. timing on the BOITw1, quick choctaw, steps following the LFO rocker. Free leg position looks a bit odd too, but I guess that's often more of a stylistic choice.
Yes, Solo Dance steps are different from partnered dance as the men and women skate the same steps!

The required steps change every season too! So, you have to check the Solo Dance Series Handbook each season for changes.

I explain more about that in this video:

You can view the IJS Protocols, the key points and GOE's from this event here: https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2022/30925/SEGM014.html

Last edited:

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I came across this video of a solo Tango Romantica:

Although I've tested some patterns solo, I mostly do it partnered now. I'm not too familiar with solo dance as a competitive discipline.

Yet it was good enough to win a national championship, so presumably the tech panel didn't have any major complaints. Did they modify they way they judged, then? Or did they just not give key points and it just happened that this skate was the best of the field?
It depends a lot on the country. Right now, its very new to being an ISU discipline, and nobody really knows what they are doing score wise. Everybody has had different solo dance scoring systems up to now, and every panel looks for something different.

Generally speaking, in most countries they would score much higher than skaters would achieve in couples dance, BUT for some athletes in these competitions it isn't always the case as the factors that influence couples dance (coach, reputation etc) also influence solo dance.

Furthermore, there is similar story with couples dance scoring being really bad right now. Unknown couples will score poorly, and then certain couples inflated ridiculously. (And within those schools, the wealthiest couples get even more backing). In solo dance this effect is less extreme, but people who everybody know are getting advantages scoring.

Lastly, the base value of elements is REALLY imbalanced (at least in most countries, im not sure ISU have announced scalea of value yet. Part of this is due to "edge elements" being scored as lifts, despite being much easier technically (especially for flexible skaters). In couples dance these were used as transitions. With the value of spirals/spreads etc being so inflated relative to other elements, step sequences etc have much less scoring weight to them.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Lastly, the base value of elements is REALLY imbalanced (at least in most countries, im not sure ISU have announced scalea of value yet. Part of this is due to "edge elements" being scored as lifts, despite being much easier technically (especially for flexible skaters). In couples dance these were used as transitions. With the value of spirals/spreads etc being so inflated relative to other elements, step sequences etc have much less scoring weight to them.
Thanks for this info, sounds kinda wild that a spiral is worth so much :oops:

I guess the scoring is a bit more out of whack for free dances compared with compulsories then.

I do like the idea of solo dance, given how challenging it can be to find a partner to compete with (or even a coach to test with). But I hope they standardise the scoring format a bit, because it seems like that would be a major stumbling block if they were to try and expand the discipline more internationally.

I also hope step sequences are given more priority in whatever system they eventually settle on, because to me that's what separates ice dance from artistic jump-less skating. That's also fun to watch of course, but I like the idea of having a special discipline based around technical footwork.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Thanks for this info, sounds kinda wild that a spiral is worth so much :oops:

I guess the scoring is a bit more out of whack for free dances compared with compulsories then.

I do like the idea of solo dance, given how challenging it can be to find a partner to compete with (or even a coach to test with). But I hope they standardise the scoring format a bit, because it seems like that would be a major stumbling block if they were to try and expand the discipline more internationally.

I also hope step sequences are given more priority in whatever system they eventually settle on, because to me that's what separates ice dance from artistic jump-less skating. That's also fun to watch of course, but I like the idea of having a special discipline based around technical footwork.
Especially given there is 1 Step sequence and 1 one foot sequence. In some scoring systems right now it's even crazier - for example, in one or two, a level 4 edge element (I.e. spiral, spread) is worth MORE than a level 4 step sequence. And a level 4 stsq is something top couples for the most part cant do consistently, whereas many recreational skaters can fulfil requirements for the poses/spirals.

Remember, there are 3 edge elements and only 1 STSQ and 1 OFST.