Fear and Gibson have “Sweet Dreams” for 2023-24 | Golden Skate

Fear and Gibson have “Sweet Dreams” for 2023-24

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In this interview, 2023 European silver medalists Lilah Fear and Lewis Gibson of Great Britain discuss the challenge in selecting 80s rhythm dance music, their new "Rocky" free dance, what they learned from touring with Fantasy on Ice, the strategy of back-to-back Challenger series (Nebelhorn and Nepela) for energy management, and more!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So good to hear another Ted Flett interview.

Love the attitude toward scores from Lilah and Lewis, where Lilah says, honestly I couldn't tell you what our PB is, we just want to put the best product out there, but Lewis saying, of course we want the scores to rise.

Also looking forward to seeing the Rocky program at Nebelhorn. And that Lilah, at least, watched the movies after the decision on the music. Not so sure that *all* of the Rocky movies were great, however. ;)

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm hearing not so many are excited about the FD, but will keep an open mind. It's important to remember that it takes time for programs to grow. I can think of several programs of other skaters that I really disliked at first and then grew to love :)! For instance, Chock/Bates alien routine. Didn't like it at first, or second. Then the third time I started connecting with it!

Weathergal

Medalist
I'm hearing not so many are excited about the FD, but will keep an open mind. It's important to remember that it takes time for programs to grow. I can think of several programs of other skaters that I really disliked at first and then grew to love :)! For instance, Chock/Bates alien routine. Didn't like it at first, or second. Then the third time I started connecting with it!
I had a similar experience with Chock/Bates' alien program. I'm sure part of it was that I was so fond of their snake charmer program. 🐍:biggrin:

In the case of Fear/Gibson, I love it when they really embrace DANCE in all caps - like with their disco and Madonna programs. Yet, I wouldn't want them not to do other things. I don't know if it's that or just something's not connecting for me with the Rocky program but I wasn't too fond of it. But hopefully I will be later. It's a long season...

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
So good to hear another Ted Flett interview.

Love the attitude toward scores from Lilah and Lewis, where Lilah says, honestly I couldn't tell you what our PB is, we just want to put the best product out there, but Lewis saying, of course we want the scores to rise.

Also looking forward to seeing the Rocky program at Nebelhorn. And that Lilah, at least, watched the movies after the decision on the music. Not so sure that *all* of the Rocky movies were great, however. ;)
In my opinion, only the first film of Rocky is great. The others are not worth the bother in my opinion. But I love the first one. Where can we watch Nebelhorn?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In my opinion, only the first film of Rocky is great. The others are not worth the bother in my opinion. But I love the first one. Where can we watch Nebelhorn?

The Mr. T one was campy fun. But otherwise, yes, the first movie was a classic and the rest, not so much.

I believe Nebelhorn is a paid stream this year, like many of the European challengers.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Rocky Free Dance is such fun. The first half just goes along, doing its thing quietly and without explaining much, like the movie, just showing.

Then the second half explodes, with the combination curve and rotational lift. From then on, Lilah and Lewis Rock!

I love how Lilah expressed what their goals are: to feel "proud of ourselves" after skating. That's it. ❤️

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I prefer their RD. The FD is too gimmicky for me. But, I am well aware that many people love a good entertaining program and they will please a lot of folks with it. I don't think it can grow on me under any circumstances.. but I remain open until I see it live.