2023-24 Grand Prix Final Senior Free Dance | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Grand Prix Final Senior Free Dance

amanda b

Rinkside
Absolutely loved the Chock and Bates 'alien' free dance at the Olympics (much more than P and C's Faure free dance), not least its innovation, but since then I have started to feel it is a little bit of 'style over substance'. But it gets rewarded. I'm sure Marie France has worked out what gets the highest scores but at times it seems formulaic and lacking in authenticity. Good to see that the Montreal ice academy doesn't get a clean sweep of the podium places!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Senior Ice Dance Podium Ceremony starting now on the Senior Men's FS stream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYiFqzpm7Lk

CaroLiza_fan
Well this event let us know Chock and Bates regardless of their programs are solidly number 1. The Italians will probably be second though they are not exactly dynamic. Gilles and Porier are about to be passed by Fear and Gibson - undeservedly. I don't think really like the Rocky program - I think the artistic direction is muddled - not enough camp to be pure camp and not enough whatever to be artistic. I think as the new chosen ones they get the benefit Goe wise. It's all talk of course but the Danadians who wanted to be a threat for the world podium are now clinging on to second in Canada. Winners here Chock and Bates reaffirming they are the best and will be champs, Fear and Gibson the new chosen team with a bullet even with a mistake. Canada nothing positive other than their third team LaLa are doing amazing to be in the Finals. I am curious if IAM/Marie France can dosomething for the Danadians and fast - they were up and coming last year and did so well against Chock and Bates early on. If I were them I would be begging and clamouring for Marie France to do her magic. I am also waiting for some big fight to happen from the happy camp of IAMs. Its hard to be friends when you are fighting for 3 medals and we crtiicize Tuberize for many reason but one thing that needs to be said monpolies aren't always the best for skating and are cyclical. Remember Sandra BEzic was a most at one point. Brian Orser was the coach du jour, Zueva had a dance dynasty for a while. it is interesting that we see more top skaters doing choreo and coaching - Orser, Fusarpoli, Krylova, Buttle Lambiel, Walia, Wainman, Sato, Bourne, Dubreil and Lauzon, Charlie White, Tessa virtue, Scott Moir, Kostner, that doesn't include skaters of the past or coaching at lower levels or powerskating- too many to name It might in part be because the professional scene has dried up considerably. Some may coach to survive financially- all they know is skating.Gordeeva, Pelletier, Trenary, Manley, Kulik, Charlene Wong, P onomarenko Klimova, Malinina, Butyrskaya, Karen Kwan, Peter Oppegard (not sure he is allowed to any m ore, Zimmerman, Maybe in a few years we will see a new guard with a new dynasty and Marie France will be the new Zueva. Life is fickle.

Isk

On the Ice
As a person who understands nothing about the technicalities of ice-dance, I'd put L/L above FB/S, just for the music choice if nothing else. I think a dance needs to be self-explanatory and self-sufficient. That piece has been like never used before, it's easy to find, short, and one finds the explanation of its meaning in the description of a youtube video. One doesn't need to know the meaning to appreciate the melody and the dance. But I don't understand the concept of FB/S's dance, maybe because I didn't watch the full musical (sorry I tried but already got bored on the "Les sans Papiers" song of it 🤷‍♀️).
Also, one shouldn't have to read the "Wuthering heights" novel and watch all versions of the movie/series to appreciate G/P's dance, I am certainly not going to read it for this purpose. Thanks to Mark for explaining that it has something to do with love and hate. To me the dance has a Hitchkocky feel, maybe because of the screechy music in the beginning and Piper's attempt to steal a judge's computer. Before that Lewis did some push-ups for it, should have tried harder. And then Marco came and made a whiny face for it, still in vain, but that was a cute attempt.
I can live with Les sans papiers, but Ave Maria is only okay in church
I dunno... The Schubert's and Bach-Gounod's are considered more or less secular classics and people have skated to vocal/instrumental arrangements of both. There are also a couple of Ave Marias from operas/this musical, which are sung in context on stage, there is one by Brahms for women's choir, also performed on stage, but nobody ever skates to it. The one that Misha Ge skated to, whoever composed it, sounds a bit cheesy and I don't personally like it.

Last edited:

skating_games

Rinkside
LaLa did so well
Here are a part of Mr. Alain Goldberg (French CBC) comments:
it's the setting of the atmosphere - excellent
Big skating: it's the passion alive...the sliding and know-how... tremendous
and here ... the speed probe

voltes-the speed ... excellent for the first (volte), the second: yes!
bravo, bravo!

the combined rotation: nice position, beautiful arabesque...
the seated rotation: interesting...the dress that twirls in the wind gives a very beautiful impression...
Acceleration ... excellence...excellent skaters!

The curves... the last one, actions and angles at the limit of the possible and above all, excellent gestures in cohesion with the music...
ultra-fast speed, fantastic, very very beautiful...

nice stationary lift...

very, very good performance, faultless...

they have really acquired maturity in gesture, in their skating, really possess their souls...

When people leave the junior range... yes they have know-how but...the maturity that they have in the gestures, in their expression, in the harmony with the music are coupled

And we feel through the gestures of her hand as if it
calls on the public, the viewer to come and watch and we can only marvel at the elegance and grace of the movement...
The choreography research has been pushed to the extreme... there is no taste fault in the harmony between the two skaters, no choreography fault ...formidable choreography!!
In the past... they always had very fast, dynamic music to mask this know-how that they didn't yet have, but now, they have this know-how and it's close to perfection... and then it's a matter of joy, taste and appreciation from the part of the judges.
look...how she falls backwards...and the expression on her face

Bravo, bravo, formidable...in whatever place they will be.

Last edited:

jorge2912

On the Ice
Country
Chile
It was good Madison and Evan FD ,creative and technically great and the logic was something simple and music was a perfect complement, Charlene and Marco (the Italians ) was very European style , a music that was melodic and costumes elegant even that version of OST theory of everything sounds like a classic melody personally talking was an elegant FD , Piper and Paul music was like terror movie OST and not a novel really in spite their satin costumes was rather like a novel of Danielle Steel and i found music was not very unison with choreography ideais good but it could be better , Lilah and Lewis 80s FD was nice and even brings some memories for nostalgic and is nice and different and seeing some technical aspects even for them is very challenging FD , Laurence and Nikolaj FD is hard to say if was based on the Ballet from Cesane Pugni or the musical that was created by Opera de Paris it was a good idea but could be better also ave maria is not suitable for the theme they chosen, Marjorie and Zachary for an instant thought with eyes close was Europeans because music and was nice their free dance their music is like an invitation for breath deep and enjoy their FD , the twizzles and relation with space and musical tempo was right a very balanced program , haven't the WOW effect like Lilah and Lewis that appeal to nostalgie or the Piper and Paul music selection that was like "ok" but why relation music and choreography or elements does not "dialogue" and create an unison and great to see free dance.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
My favorite program was Charlene and Marco's - and that last lift of theirs was (chef's kiss). I must go back and watch it.

I did not like the Rocky program and I am from Philadelphia.

Twizzles of Charlene/Marco and Madison/Evan - superb.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I did a thing...not sure where else to put it, but when I heard Piper and Paul were skating to Wuthering Heights I was kind of hoping it was the Kate Bush song.

Alas it was not...

But through the wonders of YouTube and ClipChamp

I'm actually stunned at how well some of the choreographic highlights match up to the lyrics!

Ooo let me have it, let me grab your soooooul

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I did a thing...not sure where else to put it, but when I heard Piper and Paul were skating to Wuthering Heights I was kind of hoping it was the Kate Bush song.

Alas it was not...

I'm actually stunned at how well some of the choreographic highlights match up to the lyrics!

Watching that was the first time I saw this program and didn't fall asleep! You did well matching this up. :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

Alas it was not...

HA! It was fun ! I see two problems... though some of the choreo works indeed very well with this, there are absolutely no nuances to the music which really doesn't make the dance interesting with this song ;) and the other problem is that voice... I don't know why so many people are disappointed it's not this singer... First time I hear her, I dislike that voice immensely. Sorry to all her fans... It's just my taste, nothing against her... but I cannot imagine having to hear that voice for a complete year as a skating fan and even less for the skaters and their team :)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
HA! It was fun ! I see two problems... though some of the choreo works indeed very well with this, there are absolutely no nuances to the music which really doesn't make the dance interesting with this song ;) and the other problem is that voice... I don't know why so many people are disappointed it's not this singer... First time I hear her, I dislike that voice immensely. Sorry to all her fans... It's just my taste, nothing against her... but I cannot imagine having to hear that voice for a complete year as a skating fan and even less for the skaters and their team :)
There are some skaters using her music this season. "Running up that hill" for example. I'm pretty sure there's a Jr. Ice Dance team at the least using it. Her music has had a bit of a revival due to "Stranger Things" TV show.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
There are some skaters using her music this season. "Running up that hill" for example. I'm pretty sure there's a Jr. Ice Dance team at the least using it. Her music has had a bit of a revival due to "Stranger Things" TV show.
stranger things than that voice ? wow.
PS I don't know that series... because well.. you know me... my series is the GP series.. no time for anything else really.