First boots advice? | Golden Skate

First boots advice?

SULLI

Spectator
Hello, I'm sulli and I started skating in december, since then I kinda liked it and practicing like 8-10h a week
I've learnt to do crossover and I'm making my way to backward skating right now
The time to get a new pair of skates has come since rentals kinda hurts and block me from learning (different skates every session and some pain at times)
I have been searching for a fitter near my area for a week and it seems like there is none... I've read everywhere that the best is to find a fitter so you have comfortable boots that matches your level....

I've ask at my skating place to other people and they all say they had to move to paris but from where I live it's about 6h trip... which is not really an option for me
I'm really concern by online shopping cause I don't want to buy wrong boots and have to buy new ones after if they don't fit or change boots in 6 months...
I'm I'm 185 lbs and 5'10 and I have no willing on learning jumps as I kinda prefer dancing.
I'm unsure about which boots to buy regarding stiffness and if I should take low cuts or not as I heard I need boots that allow me for good knee bend to get those edges right
I think I'll skip the dancing blade as a start as my budget is quite limited, arround 500$ and the dancing blades are crazy expenssive (I've heard they not good for beginner too ? any tips regarding that ?)

I'd like to get the right boot and maybe upgrade my blade in few months

Sorry for my poor english I'm french and I'm self taught so I hope you guys can understand me

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello, I'm sulli and I started skating in december, since then I kinda liked it and practicing like 8-10h a week
I've learnt to do crossover and I'm making my way to backward skating right now
The time to get a new pair of skates has come since rentals kinda hurts and block me from learning (different skates every session and some pain at times)
I have been searching for a fitter near my area for a week and it seems like there is none... I've read everywhere that the best is to find a fitter so you have comfortable boots that matches your level....

I've ask at my skating place to other people and they all say they had to move to paris but from where I live it's about 6h trip... which is not really an option for me
I'm really concern by online shopping cause I don't want to buy wrong boots and have to buy new ones after if they don't fit or change boots in 6 months...
I'm I'm 185 lbs and 5'10 and I have no willing on learning jumps as I kinda prefer dancing.
I'm unsure about which boots to buy regarding stiffness and if I should take low cuts or not as I heard I need boots that allow me for good knee bend to get those edges right
I think I'll skip the dancing blade as a start as my budget is quite limited, arround 500$ and the dancing blades are crazy expenssive (I've heard they not good for beginner too ? any tips regarding that ?)

I'd like to get the right boot and maybe upgrade my blade in few months

Sorry for my poor english I'm french and I'm self taught so I hope you guys can understand me
Okay first of all, you're going to need a coach so you learn technique and skills properly so you won't have to correct them down the road after the fact and also risk injury. Secondly, you're practicing too long for a beginner. 3-You need to get properly fitted, if you can let us know where about you are in France, I or another can suggest you a good fitter.

Once you have a fitter, you need to get a boot that is proper for your skill level, but I will also suggest that you have a boot a bit stiffer than would be usually for that level since you are adult and your height weight stats. You will need a freestyle blade to learn initially. You would not go to a dance blade until later on.

SULLI

Spectator
Okay first of all, you're going to need a coach so you learn technique and skills properly so you won't have to correct them down the road after the fact and also risk injury. Secondly, you're practicing too long for a beginner. 3-You need to get properly fitted, if you can let us know where about you are in France, I or another can suggest you a good fitter.

Once you have a fitter, you need to get a boot that is proper for your skill level, but I will also suggest that you have a boot a bit stiffer than would be usually for that level since you are adult and your height weight stats. You will need a freestyle blade to learn initially. You would not go to a dance blade until later on.
Hello thanks for answering me, I've seen you very active in here and answered almost all the post I have read ^^
I have a coach already that I see twice a week for 2 hours per sessions. that's why I want to get my own skates cause I can't even work on my edges with the rental skates
I'm in the north of france near Calais and it's been challenging for me to fin d a real fitter that is specialized in Figure skating and not Hockey skates... we just have generic sport shop and they have no idea about figure skating...
I have been thinking about some skates already like the jackson freestyle (I've heard they aren't stiff enough tho...) or the risport RF3 (kinda what seems to be appropriate for me if they fit me) and then the edea chorus, I'm just concerned about the stiffness, the jackson seems way too low for my height/weight and I'm not sure the chorus or the RF3 will be fine and if I'll be able to break them...

SULLI

Spectator
May I ask why do you think I am preacticing too much ? I always have been doing a lot of sportn used to do running about 10h a week and handball about the same time, I'm someone that need to do a lot of sport, I like it and it's my hobby, how much ahour should I practice skating ? and what are the cons about practicing too much ?

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
what are the cons about practicing too much
Burnout, exhaustion, and injury because those muscles that you use for skating aren't used to being used, among other things.

Just because you do one sport for an extended period of time, doesn't mean you will easily be able to transition to another at the same level you were in the previous sport.

Last edited:

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
May I ask why do you think I am preacticing too much ? I always have been doing a lot of sportn used to do running about 10h a week and handball about the same time, I'm someone that need to do a lot of sport, I like it and it's my hobby, how much ahour should I practice skating ? and what are the cons about practicing too much ?
Also, presumably you have the proper shoes for running and the proper shoes and other gear for handball. But since you are skating on rentals, you definitely do not have the proper gear for figure skating.

SULLI

Spectator
Burnout, exhaustion, and injury because those muscles that you use for skating aren't used to being used, among other things.

Just because you do one sport for an extended period of time, doesn't mean you will easily be able to transition to another at the same level you were in the previous sport.
I get you but aside my 6h with my coach I do skates lightly just rurning around cause I like to skate, I'm not all the time pushing myself hard, so far I have been doing this for 3 months and I feel okay, my doctor that examined me last week said I was in good health condition