Fitting scheduled, advice or suggestions welcome! | Golden Skate

Fitting scheduled, advice or suggestions welcome!

ayakashi

Rinkside
Hello! I’m a beginner adult (26F, 5’2”, 135lb, size 6ish street shoe) and looking to get new skates because I don’t feel very secure my current ones (Riedell Stride 4.5 with CA blade).

I was fitted at a rink shop nearby (Southern California) in October 2022, but in reading the posts here I realize they didn’t do any kind of measurements and had just pulled out the sole for me to step on and compare to my foot. It felt relatively secure/comfortable at the time, but I only just started skating in Sept 2022 so I didn’t have much basis for how it should fit besides that they felt better than wearing rentals.

Currently my coach is teaching me bunny hops and waltz jump, where I noticed that there is definitely heel slip/lift, especially if I don’t lace excruciatingly tight to the point that my toes get a little tingly then numb.

To elaborate more on my feet: I have normal-slightly narrow feet with high arches and roman toes. For my skates (I’ve changed the lacing to try to remedy the heel slip and tie them painfully tight): My arches don’t touch the sole and they ache for the first 20 minutes or so of skating, and my toes feel quite pinched on the outside near the pinky toes, sometimes getting tingly and numb. But it also feels like theres too much space between the front of my left skate and toes. I also noticed if I don’t press down into my left foot, the blade will wiggle on the ice (not sure if that makes sense?) Meanwhile my heels feel fine when doing forward crossovers, backward crossovers, 3 turns, and I think for spins as well (though my arches ache when practicing spins for an extended time), but they definitely lift for bunny hops and waltz, rubbing the back of my foot painfully. So it feels like there’s up down lift (primarily on my left foot, but still slightly present on my right), and if I don’t tie painfully tight there’s forward backward slip, but not side to side.

I’m hoping a shop I found in San Diego (first time posting so I wasn’t sure if I can specify where) will be a more thorough fitting experience and get me into skates that feel safe and secure for me, but I’m definitely open to any recommendations for fitters in Socal. In hopes of having a better fitting experience, I would love any advice on how to be sure I’m getting skates that fit me correctly or any brand/model recommendations please! (Also open to the possibility of salvaging my current ones if that’s at all possible) Thank you for taking the time to read!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello! I’m a beginner adult (26F, 5’2”, 135lb, size 6ish street shoe) and looking to get new skates because I don’t feel very secure my current ones (Riedell Stride 4.5 with CA blade).

I was fitted at a rink shop nearby (Southern California) in October 2022, but in reading the posts here I realize they didn’t do any kind of measurements and had just pulled out the sole for me to step on and compare to my foot. It felt relatively secure/comfortable at the time, but I only just started skating in Sept 2022 so I didn’t have much basis for how it should fit besides that they felt better than wearing rentals.

Currently my coach is teaching me bunny hops and waltz jump, where I noticed that there is definitely heel slip/lift, especially if I don’t lace excruciatingly tight to the point that my toes get a little tingly then numb.

To elaborate more on my feet: I have normal-slightly narrow feet with high arches and roman toes. For my skates (I’ve changed the lacing to try to remedy the heel slip and tie them painfully tight): My arches don’t touch the sole and they ache for the first 20 minutes or so of skating, and my toes feel quite pinched on the outside near the pinky toes, sometimes getting tingly and numb. But it also feels like theres too much space between the front of my left skate and toes. I also noticed if I don’t press down into my left foot, the blade will wiggle on the ice (not sure if that makes sense?) Meanwhile my heels feel fine when doing forward crossovers, backward crossovers, 3 turns, and I think for spins as well (though my arches ache when practicing spins for an extended time), but they definitely lift for bunny hops and waltz, rubbing the back of my foot painfully. So it feels like there’s up down lift (primarily on my left foot, but still slightly present on my right), and if I don’t tie painfully tight there’s forward backward slip, but not side to side.

I’m hoping a shop I found in San Diego (first time posting so I wasn’t sure if I can specify where) will be a more thorough fitting experience and get me into skates that feel safe and secure for me, but I’m definitely open to any recommendations for fitters in Socal. In hopes of having a better fitting experience, I would love any advice on how to be sure I’m getting skates that fit me correctly or any brand/model recommendations please! (Also open to the possibility of salvaging my current ones if that’s at all possible) Thank you for taking the time to read!
I will DM you with fitter.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States

... Meanwhile my heels feel fine when doing forward crossovers, backward crossovers, 3 turns, and I think for spins as well (though my arches ache when practicing spins for an extended time), but they definitely lift for bunny hops and waltz, rubbing the back of my foot painfully. So it feels like there’s up down lift (primarily on my left foot, but still slightly present on my right), and if I don’t tie painfully tight there’s forward backward slip, but not side to side.

... (Also open to the possibility of salvaging my current ones if that’s at all possible)
It's fortunate that there's no side-to-side heel slip. As an expedient remedy for your up-down heel slip, try a tongue liner to seat the heel of your foot more firmly into the heel of your boot. I previously provided instructions here:

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/t...nths-lts-adult-w-no-jumps.92275/#post-2982817 Reply#6.

Can't be sure it will indeed work, but it's easy and cheap to try. Good Luck!

ayakashi

Rinkside
@Ic3Rabbit thank you again for the fitter recommendation! Excited to call them in the morning for availability :hap10:

@tstop4me thank you! I’ll give that a try in the afternoon when I skate today, and my package with kaps medix arch supports that I’ve seen WednesdayMarch recommend arrived too so hopefully everything works together as a short term fix.

ayakashi

Rinkside
Update:
I tried experimenting with the craft foam as @tstop4me suggested and arch supports, to no avail unfortunately :( it felt like as soon as I’d get the combination of foam + arch support + the right tension of lacing, it would still only sit right for maybe 30 minutes before I felt it was uncomfortably loose again, and my left heel was still lifting, albeit less than previously. It was definitely worth the try and made me feel more certain about getting new skates, thank you again for the suggestion!

Meanwhile I went to the fitter @Ic3Rabbit suggested (thank you again also!) and we’re currently waiting for a pair of size 5 Jackson Entres to be shipped from the warehouse! It seems I mistakenly conflated having my small feet for having narrow feet :palmf: although the fitter mentioned my feet are a little deceptive, especially with how narrow my heel is.

He double checked the measurements for Riedell and said that I actually should've been in a 5 but I explained how I feel my toes aren’t brushing the tip at all on my left foot in my current skates. He also measured for Risport and Jackson, albeit he didn’t have anything in stock in my size for risport (I think I saw him note 234 mm left foot 235 mm right foot and 22.0/22.5 for the widths). He pulled out Jackson Elles for me to try on which still felt a little loose in the heel, maybe slightly less than my current skates, but more comfortable in the front. Then he pulled out the Entre in 4.5 and 5.5, noting the heel would be a little narrower for that model in particular and otherwise he’d suggest rapid customs instead. The 4.5 was just the tiniest bit too short, since my toes touched the front, meanwhile the 5.5 was definitely a bit too big.

Now we wait another week or so and then I can try on those size 5 Entre’s and decide! Though I wish I could’ve tried a Risport in my size :scratch2: he did pull out a pair that he figured would be a little too big for me to try anyways and we mostly just confirmed it was too big.

ayakashi

Rinkside
I have a few more questions if anyone could help as I’m having a little bit of cold feet in the meantime while waiting for the boots to arrive:

I felt like it was a little too easy to bend my knees in both the Elles and the Entres, is that normal? I did notice the Entres were much cushier in the ankle area than my current skates. I might have also gotten used to having my skates deathly tight all over to help lock my heel (meaning I had to push really hard to get any kind of knee/ankle bend), and he noted that I have strong legs so these might all be contributing factors to this feeling.

I’m also a little worried about adjusting to the higher heel in the Jackson’s, part of my wanting to try something Risport since it sounds like their heel height is more subdued. I know I’ve seen people mention that they had some trouble with backwards skating and being on toe picks in similar Riedell to Jackson swaps.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I have a few more questions if anyone could help as I’m having a little bit of cold feet in the meantime while waiting for the boots to arrive:

I felt like it was a little too easy to bend my knees in both the Elles and the Entres, is that normal? I did notice the Entres were much cushier in the ankle area than my current skates. I might have also gotten used to having my skates deathly tight all over to help lock my heel (meaning I had to push really hard to get any kind of knee/ankle bend), and he noted that I have strong legs so these might all be contributing factors to this feeling.

I’m also a little worried about adjusting to the higher heel in the Jackson’s, part of my wanting to try something Risport since it sounds like their heel height is more subdued. I know I’ve seen people mention that they had some trouble with backwards skating and being on toe picks in similar Riedell to Jackson swaps.
See if he can order you in a Risport RF3 Pro and Electra to try in your proper size. If not, you may have to just go with rapid custom from Jackson. My fear is the Entres are going to be just right only for a bit and break down quick, Elles are just a NO for your weight/height, they are going to be way too soft.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom

If you can't bend forward in your new boots, they're too stiff. Also, Edea have built a business around being able to bend practically horizontal in new boots. Lateral support is where it's at. Ankle are supposed to be able to bend forwards; it's when they are able to bend in other directions that you get injuries.

When you get new boots/blades you always have to adjust to having "new feet", even if they are exactly the same set up as you had before. It doesn't last long. I recently went from Risport Royal Pro to Jackson Elite/Supreme 5320s (for arthritis reasons) and whilst the Fusion heel is definitely higher than the Risport heel - and I hated it when I tried it briefly in a friend's Debut Fusions on off-ice skates - it was easy to get used to. Now I love the boots and the heel thing really isn't an issue. (Also, the thickness of the sole helps, so the heel isn't quite as high as it appears on first sight.) All you need to do is remember to bend your knees and keep your head over your hips and your hips over the mid-point of the blade and you're fine. People tend to stiffen up instinctively when something is different. Consciously relax and readjust your posture and everything works again, usually better.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
<<Emphasis added.>> That sounds like one of my old posts. :) Yes, the transition was awkward at first. I'm not the most agile person when it comes to adapting to changes. But once I did, I really liked my Jacksons. Whether Jacksons are right for you or not depends on many factors, but you shouldn't cross them off your list solely (haha) based on the heel height.

starryskate

Rinkside
I had it the other way around. My very first pair was Jackson, then I switched to Riedell. It was definitely odd at first, but I was happy as a clam within 5-10 minutes. I hope that helps!

ayakashi

Rinkside
See if he can order you in a Risport RF3 Pro and Electra to try in your proper size. If not, you may have to just go with rapid custom from Jackson. My fear is the Entres are going to be just right only for a bit and break down quick, Elles are just a NO for your weight/height, they are going to be way too soft.
Thank you everyone for your input and advice! Very much appreciated, especially the more antsy I’ve been getting with this waiting game.

Quick update:

Still waiting on the Entres to arrive, but I’m told they should arrive today. I called a few weeks ago to ask about the RF3 Pro or Electra, but never heard back. Called again a couple weeks ago and they said the reason they likely didn’t call back was because there’s not a lot of availability with Risport to have them shipped in from warehouse. Called again this week to check on the Entre and that’s when they said it had been shipped to a sister store nearby and they’d have it sent to their store.

I asked about the Debut instead since it looks like that would be the next step up in Jackson as far as stiffness, but it seems it’s not a model they carry much of in store so it’d be something that would need to be shipped in as well. They recommended trying on the Premiere in 5R (although they ordered a 5W in the Entre for me) to see how I feel about that versus the Entre and going from there. On one hand I do have strong legs from water polo, swim, and pilates, but I feel like a jump from 40 stiffness to 65 doesn’t sound feasible for me.

Feeling a bit nervous that I am going to need to do a rapid custom from Jackson after all, especially since I did feel a little wiggle room in the heel of even the 4.5W Entres that I tried on. If only they had Risport for me to at least try. :(

ayakashi

Rinkside
Hang in there! There are supply chain issues with several boot and blade manufacturers.
Trying my best! I was able to see the fitter @Ic3Rabbit recommended again today with the Entres that arrived and we both agreed that the fit lengthwise is good, though I need a stiffer boot and narrower heel. As for the width, I feel very roomy compared to my current Riedells. He’s now ordering the Debut for me in 5R and said he should be able to stretch the toebox a bit since I prefer a snug fit anyways. Fingers crossed that once these come in they’ll be the one. ;)

ayakashi

Rinkside
Update:

Finally picked up my new skates this past Saturday! They had been ready around 10 or 12 days after he ordered them in for me, but I hadn’t had time to pick them up til then between traveling and work.

Also between traveling and other obligations I haven’t been able to skate for the past month so I was all nerves when I went today to practice and start breaking them in. At least it gave me the excuse of either I’m rusty from not skating for a month or adjusting to the new skates :rolleye:

<<Emphasis added.>> That sounds like one of my old posts. :) Yes, the transition was awkward at first. I'm not the most agile person when it comes to adapting to changes. But once I did, I really liked my Jacksons. Whether Jacksons are right for you or not depends on many factors, but you shouldn't cross them off your list solely (haha) based on the heel height.

I did have a little trouble at the start being all on my toepicks, but definitely adjusted by the end of my two hour session. I felt much better in my spins now with the shorter blade (previous one was 9.25”, new ones are 9”) and with the rocker in a more comfortable position as a result.

By and far the best part is actually having my heel cupped/locked in! :thank::bsplit:

Only downside so far is breaking in :eek: I didn’t have a break in period that I noticed with my riedells, but I definitely am needing to break in these skates! My toes were a little tight at first, but once my heel settled in more I was snug but comfortable. My heels are still a little tender 12 hours later, but just tenderness no pain.

The only thing that bothered me in particular is when I would do a deep knee bend it felt tight like the boot was squeezing the sides of my instep hard. The skate fitter did mention I have a high instep so that might be part of it.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Just to confirm, you got the Jackson Debut? What blades did you get? Be patient with break-in!

ayakashi

Rinkside
Just to confirm, you got the Jackson Debut? What blades did you get? Be patient with break-in!
Yes, I got the Jackson Debut in 5R with 9” Coronation Ace!

I’ll be as patient as I can! I’ll count my blessings that I opted to cancel my lesson from this week to allow for break in time. That way my lesson next week will be more beneficial instead of me floundering around from lack of practice and sore feet :clap:

Lucie

Rinkside
Did your fitter heat mould them for you? If not then go back and ask for this or maybe have it done a second time as it will help with the pressure areas you are describing.

ayakashi

Rinkside
Did your fitter heat mould them for you? If not then go back and ask for this or maybe have it done a second time as it will help with the pressure areas you are describing.
Yes he did, he put them in the oven, then put them on my feet and tied them for me, and we waited around 10 minutes with them on my feet. I wonder if maybe the pressure area is due to me tying them tighter than he did for the heat mould? I’ll see how it feels tomorrow when I practice again and maybe tie them a little looser.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
When my husband had ski boot liners heat molded, they taped (moleskinned?) over critical areas of his feet/ankles before the molding to create a bit of extra room. Now that you know the pressure areas, they could do something about them during an additional heat molding.