Fitting scheduled, advice or suggestions welcome! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Fitting scheduled, advice or suggestions welcome!

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Yes he did, he put them in the oven, then put them on my feet and tied them for me, and we waited around 10 minutes with them on my feet. I wonder if maybe the pressure area is due to me tying them tighter than he did for the heat mould? I’ll see how it feels tomorrow when I practice again and maybe tie them a little looser.
I'd still advise you to be more patient with your break-in. During the heat molding, you need to hold your feet as still as possible. Most of the time it's done while the skater is sitting. Sometimes it's done while the skater is standing straight, if they are confident they can stand still long enough. What was your scenario?

At any rate, heat molding helps with the initial fit, but you still need a proper break-in to stretch and flex the boot through the full range of bends and twists and turns. If your discomfort persists or worsens, by all means go back to your tech. But if you loosen up the boot via heat molding to circumvent a proper break-in, you just might end up with too loose a boot after break-in.

Last edited:

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
I'd still advise you to be more patient with your break-in. During the heat molding, you need to hold your feet as still as possible. Most of the time it's done while the skater is sitting. Sometimes it's done while the skater is standing straight, if they are confident they can stand still long enough. What was your scenario?

At any rate, heat molding helps with the initial fit, but you still need a proper break-in to stretch and flex the boot through the full range of bends and twists and turns. If your discomfort persists or worsens, by all means go back to your tech. But if loosen up the boot via heat molding to circumvent a proper break-in, you just might end up with too loose a boot after break-in.
This is so interesting, because both times I’ve bought heat moldable boots (18 years apart, in different countries), I’ve been instructed to do knee bends and other movements in them.

ayakashi

Rinkside

At any rate, heat molding helps with the initial fit, but you still need a proper break-in to stretch and flex the boot through the full range of bends and twists and turns. If your discomfort persists or worsens, by all means go back to your tech. But if you loosen up the boot via heat molding to circumvent a proper break-in, you just might end up with too loose a boot after break-in.
In my case I was sitting down. Now that I’ve got about 10 hours in them they’re much more comfortable :biggrin: I’m so happy to have my heels comfortably locked in without destroying my toes. :clap: now just a little more work to get fully off my toepicks for backwards crossovers cause I’m still scratching when I’m not thinking about it.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
In my case I was sitting down. Now that I’ve got about 10 hours in them they’re much more comfortable :biggrin: I’m so happy to have my heels comfortably locked in without destroying my toes. :clap: now just a little more work to get fully off my toepicks for backwards crossovers cause I’m still scratching when I’m not thinking about it.
Hooray!:D

ayakashi

Rinkside
At about 20 hrs in them now and my heels are just about glued in every time I skate!

I’m not sure if I’m being too picky, but I do feel like my arch is still sort of floating above the insole though. There’s no pain, but it just feels like theres no contact made between my arch and the insole other than a little bit along the outside of each foot on the pinky side. There’s also some excess height in the toebox, but I don’t know if that’s normal/expected. Are these things that need to be resolved or can be resolved with maybe a different insole besides the one that came with the boots?

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
At about 20 hrs in them now and my heels are just about glued in every time I skate!

I’m not sure if I’m being too picky, but I do feel like my arch is still sort of floating above the insole though. There’s no pain, but it just feels like theres no contact made between my arch and the insole other than a little bit along the outside of each foot on the pinky side. There’s also some excess height in the toebox, but I don’t know if that’s normal/expected. Are these things that need to be resolved or can be resolved with maybe a different insole besides the one that came with the boots?
The stock Jackson Matrix footbeds that come with your Debuts have no arch support. When you first look at them, they appear to have molded arch supports. But the material is so soft that once you step on them, they flatten out right away; so essentially they are just flat insoles. I agree with WM's post above. Once you correct that problem, if the toe box is still too high for you, you can add padding between your toes and the top of the toe box. Do you wear socks? If so, you can cut out a shaped pad from moleskin foam. Put the pad over your toes before you slip on the sock.

ayakashi

Rinkside
Long time no update! I just wanted to note that a combination of the velcro arch support set up that @tstop4me suggested here and the Dr. Scholl hidden arch supports that @Arwen17 suggested here made such a world of difference.

I might still replace them with the higher arch support I have since I still feel a tiny bit of space between my arch and the supports on that side, but I almost feel like the higher arch supports either need to be placed more carefully or they may be a smidge too much in general on top of the (very little) existing arch support so it'll take some fiddling. Maybe I could experiment with putting moleskin on top of the smaller arch supports? We'll see! I will say either way it's made spinning easier now that I'm not straining my arch so much to sit on my sweet spot :biggrin:! I only have to remember not to tie so tight now that I have the arch supports in since I gave myself a little bit of lace bite yesterday.

@tstop4me and @WednesdayMarch, you were right that the arch support also alleviated the extra toe box height issue so I'm a happy camper or rather a happy skater! :thank:

I will say that once these skates have lived their life, I hope there won't be so much of a stock issue with the Risports as I'm itching to try those next given how much I've seen them touted for being suited towards people with high arches and narrow heels like @Ic3Rabbit has said :bow:

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Long time no update! I just wanted to note that a combination of the velcro arch support set up that @tstop4me suggested here and the Dr. Scholl hidden arch supports that @Arwen17 suggested here made such a world of difference.

I might still replace them with the higher arch support I have since I still feel a tiny bit of space between my arch and the supports on that side, but I almost feel like the higher arch supports either need to be placed more carefully or they may be a smidge too much in general on top of the (very little) existing arch support so it'll take some fiddling. Maybe I could experiment with putting moleskin on top of the smaller arch supports? We'll see! I will say either way it's made spinning easier now that I'm not straining my arch so much to sit on my sweet spot :biggrin:! I only have to remember not to tie so tight now that I have the arch supports in since I gave myself a little bit of lace bite yesterday.
Thanks for the update. Good news is always welcome here. :)

Instead of putting moleskin on top of the arch supports you are currently using, I'd suggest putting the Velcro loops (soft, plush half of the Velcro) on top. That's what I use: anti-slip, cushy, durable. You can also raise the entire arch support slightly with a back-to-back Velcro spacer: cover some paper or thin card stock (such as an index card) with Velcro loops on one side and Velcro hooks on the other. Trace the bottom of your arch support on the spacer, and cut to shape. Then insert the spacer between the bottom of the arch support and the insole: loops of the spacer mate to the hooks of the arch support, and hooks of the spacer mate to the loops of the insole.

In my previous post you cited, the OP had low arches, and I recommended Pedag Balance for arch supports. For high arches, Pedag has the Step arch supports: https://www.amazon.com/Pedag-Symmet...=1689802458&sprefix=pedag+step,aps,138&sr=8-1.

Good Luck!