For skating fans who write | Golden Skate

For skating fans who write

Layback11

Record Breaker
I love to write, and I love figure skating, so it was inevitable: I started writing about figure skating. It started with a 30-something page mystery set at the 2018 Olympics, which I wrote in the months following the 2014 Olympics, and I enjoyed writing it so much that I continued. Fast-forward six or so months, and skating is almost all I write about, whether it's about real skaters or fictional ones. This made me wonder, is there anyone else out there who writes fiction about skating, particularly about real skaters, too? I would love to know if you did! (*Imagines online community of skating-fan-writers and faints* :laugh2:)

AnaBM

Rinkside
I don't write but I loooove to read fs fics :love: Have you published any on FanFiction or AO3?

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
Join the club. I primarily write stuff that's not for FS, but.... there's that one 117 page thing I'm co-writing with someone here....

AnaBM

Rinkside
No, I haven't! And I thought I was the only one! :laugh:

You totally should! there's a kinda big community there of figure skating (not sure on FF but on AO3 it is) but still not that much, and I'm sure people would love to read your fics (or well, the one you describe sounds pretty cool, so at least I would :yes:)....

Layback11

Record Breaker
Awesome! I'll have to look into that! I do not write much romance, so that makes my writing rather unconventional in the skating fandom, and I don't know if there would be much of an audience for it. But if you like slightly random humor and ridiculous but fun plots (all of the American and Canadian world team members going on a post-worlds cruise together is one of them), I've got a whole lot of that. :laugh:

AnaBM

Rinkside
I feel awkward reading romance, some are okay like V/T or V/M, but there are weird ships like Yuzuvier (I understand they're adorable but just please don't :rofl:) so comedy fits me perfectly.

Barb

Record Breaker
I have zero imagination to write, but I would love to read anything about figure skating, maybe you should to open a new section in the forum.

Layback11

Record Breaker
I actually have a blog (mostly about skating) that I could post things on. Does anybody think that I should? It's something I've considered but A) I don't think anyone would read it and B) I'm a little bit nervous about sharing my writing online. I would be open to other sources if anyone knows of a site where I could post my writing. Thanks for all your support-I really though that this thread was going to get ignored!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Hate to be a total buzzkill...

But I am a little puzzled as to why anyone would think it a good idea to openly discuss writing fanfiction about real people in a place where we know said real people read...

I mean sure, if you have the time/energy/money for a lawsuit, go ahead...

Layback11

Record Breaker
I respect your opinion and fully understand why you would say that. However, I don't believe I could be sued for privately writing stuff that I will never publish or sell and will probably not ever put online.

andromache

Record Breaker
I think publicly-shared fan fiction featuring real people is uncomfortable with a lot of fans for obvious reasons (myself included). But in the past I've had a lot of fun using fictional characters from a long-dead author's novel and rewriting them as modern day figure skaters.

I'd love to see more well-written figure skating novels and films out there. Unfortunately, they usually stray too far from reality for a die-hard skating fan to enjoy (looking at The Cutting Edge series and that Ice Princess movie.)

Recently I really enjoyed watching the ABC Family tv show Make It or Break It about Olympic level gymnastics. It was obviously over-dramatized and probably got a lot of things wrong (I know very little about gymnastics), but I'd love to see a fictional novel or tv series about competitive figure skating.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hate to be a total buzzkill...

But I am a little puzzled as to why anyone would think it a good idea to openly discuss writing fanfiction about real people in a place where we know said real people read...

I mean sure, if you have the time/energy/money for a lawsuit, go ahead...

I understand what you're saying. When I write fanfics, they're not true fanfics because I change everyone's names based on a formula I created almost 2 years ago. It's to make it less awkward for me to write and to be respectful.

I do create stories relating to skating somewhat. I don't write them down though. I tell myself stories aka: I basically talk to myself.

Ituriel

On the Ice
Another writer here (in my native language, of course:biggrin:).

My genres are horror, thriller and scifi. It's difficult to conciliate with my love for figure skating. But I'm trying :) Now I'm planning a novel with a figure skater as minor character.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
I've just started to dabble in reading (and no, I don't care if they're about real people or not :rolleye: ).

Layback11

Record Breaker
From what I understand, you're saying you don't care if people write about real skaters and you're just starting to read about skating?

😅 phew, I was starting to feel like I did something wrong...