Free Dance | Golden Skate

Free Dance

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
That's a good result for Silverstein & O'Meara; though only OK for Silvesrtein & Magerovsky whom I really liked at Evening with Champions.

XxSweetKissesxX

Match Penalty
I was impressed by Domnina/Shabalin, Maxim is one of the best male ice dancers in the world right now. I think that after Navka/Kostomarov retire they are going to be one of the best teams in the world and I hope they follow up their Skate America bronnze with another Grand Prix medal.

I loved how different the top 3 dance teams were- I wasn't that impressed by Belbinnnnn/Agosto's freedance mainly because they went right after Delobel/Schoenfelder's haunting masterpiece of a freedance that is only going to get better along the season. This program has the potential to be a classic. Nothing can compare to seeing it live- TV takes away the magic. That program was magic- pure magic and I liked it alot better than Anissina/Piezerat's 01-02 freedance that won them an Olympic medal mind you.

Belbin/Agosto's program didn't have as much choreography as Del/Sho's freedance but it was a nice departure from those cheesy themed freedance they have done in previous seasons- Elvis anyone? They definately are improving each season and most likely they are going to make the 2006 games and rob Del/Sho of an Olympic medal but we won't remember Bel/Ago's program as Del/Sho's program wins the hearts of the audience and the world.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I agree that D&S's program has a potential to become a classic. However, I felt that for now, they just have to concentrate on hitting all the difficult elements in the program, and don't really sell it. By contrast, B&A looked very relaxed in their program. In this particular competition, I think B&A were clearly better, though I do agree that this could change as the season moves along.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I thought that Schoenfelder skated with more flare than I've ever seen, and I look forward to the development of this great program over the course of the season.

I didn't like the opening of Domnina/Shabalin's free dance: it was an Albena Denkova clone piece, and Domnina doesn't have either the back flexibility or inherent theatricality (at least at this point) to pull it off. I think the program got better towards the middle, but I think it's a little flat at this point. This could improve over the course of the season.

I liked Belbin/Agosto's "flamenco" program; I thought it was more coherent than their last three free dances. I prefer Delobel/Schoenfelder's by a country mile, but that's not going to get them any points. I even really liked the last third of their OD, to which I had been hearing mixed responses.

I'd never seen Jamie Silverstein skate before, and I was blown away. She is so sure in her footwork, placement, and positions. I like O'Meara, but wish he had a bit more of Agosto's oomph.

pollyls

Rinkside
I really don't care for Delo/Schoen's free dance music this season. They are wonderful, and I was really looking forward to seeing them, but the narration in the music really detracted from the program. :no:

B/A's free dance...this is the second time I've seen it. Both times, the first third of it really grabbed me, and then the rest of it didn't seem to keep the intensity going as much as last year's program. It's possible last year's free dance is going to make anything else they do look laid back.

Domnina's costume may have won the prize for the most illusion fabric ever. I couldn't stop staring at it. :scratch:

hockeyfan228 said:
I'd never seen Jamie Silverstein skate before, and I was blown away. She is so sure in her footwork, placement, and positions. I like O'Meara, but wish he had a bit more of Agosto's oomph.
As a junior three or four years ago, Jamie Silverstein was virtually conceded a series of future senior Worlds championships, at least by U.S. fans. Silverstein and Pecarek were already getting more buzz than perennial U.S. champions Lang and Tchernyshev.

Then as now, the lady was so spectacular that one hardly noticed the gentleman.

I can't tell you how excited I am to see her back from a 4-year bout with eating disorders and depression, and looking so happy, so healthy, so fit and beautiful! The crowd at Atlantic City couldn't get enough of her. I don't care if she never wins a thing, she has already won her gold.

MM

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
pollyls said:
I really don't care for Delo/Schoen's free dance music this season. They are wonderful, and I was really looking forward to seeing them, but the narration in the music really detracted from the program. :no:
I suspect the narration would come across differently in the arena, without the commentary. (Of course, it could be even worse:) ) I'm looking forward to seeing it live.

As a card carrying D&L fan, I was disappointed. they, of course, deserved the #2 medal but they could do better. S&O are going to work in the future. Their Latin Dance was the only one that looked Latin.

B&A did a tango which is not Latin but an offshoot of the Beguine which is Spanish and travelled through Europe and was transported to Argentina. But it is not a real latin dance.

The Russian team (or were they Ukrainian?) did a slavic folk dance to background Latin music. duh.

Just my uneducated take on Dance at Skate America.

Joe