Gold and Sotnikova | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Gold and Sotnikova

actualrealliveanna

On the Ice
Personally, I prefer Sotnikova. I feel it's difficult to compare them, because Adelina sat last season out, but Gracie had some pretty disastrous free skates this past season, and I really only enjoyed her performance at Worlds. Sotnikova is a better performer, which is something I like to see. Gracie does have the better jumps. I do love both, and going into this season, it'll be interesting to see who dominates. Gracie keeps on improving (yay!), but we've yet to see that with Adelina.

hanca

Record Breaker
The field is so much deeper these days that it's hard to imagine it happening. I'm sure there are several people who were absolutely shocked when Tuk won Worlds.

Really? I wonder why? Tuktamysheva dominated the whole season. She won 8 out of 12 competitions she entered last year. The remaining 4 she had second place at the Russian nationals, second place at one GP event and second place at a team event of Japan open (she won the individual event but the team placed second). And one competition she withdrew, because it was her practice competition for the worlds - her goal was not to win the competition, but the land the 3A in the SP. She did that and therefore did not bother to compete in the FS. So if this is not dominating, having 8 gold medals within one season, I am not sure what would you call dominating.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Gracie is the superior skater. All around better jumping technique (except on the axel) and better posture, and does better job of disguising the harshness of her in between skating. Both are flawed skaters though, and benefit from inflated PCS.

And what kind of PCS wouldn't be inflated for them? And whose components might be bigger this season? I personally think that there is a reason for getting quite high PCS even having a blah program.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Really? I wonder why? Tuktamysheva dominated the whole season. She won 8 out of 12 competitions she entered last year. The remaining 4 she had second place at the Russian nationals, second place at one GP event and second place at a team event of Japan open (she won the individual event but the team placed second). And one competition she withdrew, because it was her practice competition for the worlds - her goal was not to win the competition, but the land the 3A in the SP. She did that and therefore did not bother to compete in the FS. So if this is not dominating, having 8 gold medals within one season, I am not sure what would you call dominating.
I suppose mrrice meant the beginning of the season, not the end of it. She was an underdog for sure

hanca

Record Breaker
I suppose mrrice meant the beginning of the season, not the end of it. She was an underdog for sure

mrrice mentioned that "Maria B. won everything but the GPF in 1999 and it will be interesting to see if a skater can dominate that way this year. The field is so much deeper these days that it's hard to imagine it happening."
So I wonder why it is so hard imagine it happening, considering that Tuktamysheva achieved something similar just last season. Because if that's not dominating, I don't know what is.

mrrice

Record Breaker
"So I wonder why it is so hard imagine it happening, considering that Tuktamysheva achieved something similar just last season. Because if that's not dominating, I don't know what is."

Well, some people, including myself, thought Tuk's season was a surprise, and a pleasant one at that. With so many talented skaters in the field it would seem to be very difficult for someone to truly dominate. But hey, if someone does, they will truly have to be special. Russia, Japan, Canada, and the US have deep fields and several other Countries have top skaters. Javier Fernandez and Denis Ten come to mind.

Last edited:

russianbratz

Match Penalty
And what kind of PCS wouldn't be inflated for them? And whose components might be bigger this season? I personally think that there is a reason for getting quite high PCS even having a blah program.
Program is actually part of the PCS. But if you're talking about the 2014-2015 season, I don't think any of the top skaters were very special PCS wise. Even though their technical abilities were some of the most impressive of any season's roster of ladies, particularly the Russians'---I didn't find any of their skating inspiring. Tuk worst of all. When she does her little pseudo-Egyptian choreography, she looks borderline like some girl from the Jersey Shore at the public ice rink. Despite pulling off the beilmann, she doesn't just have poor line---she has no line. It is all happening from the shoulders out. Classically Mishin in that respect I guess.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
"""Tuk worst of all. When she does her little pseudo-Egyptian choreography, she looks borderline like some girl from the Jersey Shore at the public ice rink"""

I don't agree with this statement but it made me laugh so freakin hard.:cheer2:

leafygreens

Final Flight
She has always competed on a consistent basis and is as unreliable as ever.

Right but we don't know how Adelina is going to do after not competing consistently. Judging by her ice show performances (easier programs with multiple falls) I don't have much hope for her.

Amei

Record Breaker
Right but we don't know how Adelina is going to do after not competing consistently. Judging by her ice show performances (easier programs with multiple falls) I don't have much hope for her.

Well sometimes I think its easier to mess up in exhibitions because the focus/pressure is off of the elements so a skater might not be concentrating.

As far as comparisons between Gold/Sotnikova... They are both very similar in that they are both very talented but have rarely skated up to that ability/potential.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Adelina and Gracie are similar in some aspects but different in others. Adelina is one of the stronger performers in the field whereas Gracie has yet to really find her style and/or stride as a performer. I think Gracie is the stronger jumper overall (better air position and control) though I do love the power and explosiveness of Adelina's jumps, which is something Gracie's jumps used to have. In terms of overall flow, I prefer Adelina; she's more relaxed and deeper into her edges whereas Gracie is really stiff most of the time and doesn't get down into her knees enough. Both are strong spinners though I admire Adelina's difficult and innovative positions more.

At their absolute best, both ladies are probably their country's strongest skater overall. Both have the goods to challenge for gold every time out yet both struggle with consistency. Adelina has proven herself to be stronger in this area, though I am basing that off of her 2013-2014 string of performances (nats, Euros, Olys). She could come back with better confidence or she could be an utter train wreck. Gracie's skating last season was really disappointing. She seemed to regress technically, artistically and mentally and ended up blowing several opportunities to win medals.

They are both neck and neck IMO. I don't know what to expect from Adelina's return...and I don't know if Gracie will finally step up. They are two of the hottest/coldest skaters out there. Both can be brilliant and both can be terrible.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Are you serious?! Because of course, I suppose, Adelina is the ONLY skater to EVER do easier jumps in shows and the ONLY skater EVER to get messed up by the spotlight and fall on a jump in a show! Gasp, shock, horror! Alert the presses about this dreadful scandal! :rolleye:

Franklin99

Medalist
Are you serious?! Because of course, I suppose, Adelina is the ONLY skater to EVER do easier jumps in shows and the ONLY skater EVER to get messed up by the spotlight and fall on a jump in a show! Gasp, shock, horror! Alert the presses about this dreadful scandal! :rolleye:

:laugh2:

Layback11

Record Breaker

I digress LOL...

I'm just really pulling for Gracie, no matter what it takes. Nobody must beat her. Except maybe Elena. Anyone but my Magical Twirly Unicorn can fail and I won't care (very much) if it works in favor of Gracie...

okay, so maybe I'd care a little, but still...#SorryNotSorry

They (Gracie and Elena) wouldn't be competing until worlds or possibly the GPF anyway. They can both be Magical Twirly Unicorns and win everything and then go head to head twice/maybe once! Such is my ideal season...

Last edited:

leafygreens

Final Flight

Except we're not talking about every other skater. We're talking about Adelina, a gold medalist, and her chances of making a comeback. Since she has refused to compete for a year and a half (regardless if she was "injured" or not), all we have to base her current skating fitness on is her show programs, which haven't been good.

Naya

On the Ice
Except we're not talking about every other skater. We're talking about Adelina, a gold medalist, and her chances of making a comeback. Since she has refused to compete for a year and a half (regardless if she was "injured" or not), all we have to base her current skating fitness on is her show programs, which haven't been good.

Could you at least stop insinuating that Adelina was faking injury?

moriel

Record Breaker

Can someone please make a thread for adelina haters and make them hang out there?
Many skaters had bad seasons. Tuks had 2 terrible seasons with injure issues before coming back as Quee Tuks. Adelina can totally have the same - for example come back not so good this season, and win everything next one.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker

And how about simply reserving judgement until we see her back in competition?

Also, it's not only the show programs. We have trainings videos, 3T-3T, 3F, 3Lz, 2A with Zijun. And her practices in the italian training camp were open, so some people went to watch her practices. And according to those records, her jumps were there.

russianbratz

Match Penalty
Yeah I'm more concerned about Adeline rolling around on the ice like a golden retriever to prove that she's "artistic," than showing up to competition out of shape and not sticking her jumps. She's had a long resting period. It is just a question of if her old condition will be enough to match Tuk/Rad/Evgenia etc.

Last edited:

AsadaFanBoy

Final Flight
edge call on the lutz. and that 3T-3T could be 3T-3T< at best and probably 3T-3T<< if called fairly ...