GP assigments 2013/2014 | Page 7 | Golden Skate

GP assigments 2013/2014

Country
Russia
I see Russia has 14 ladies spots (13 filled, 1 TBA), the US got 12 spots (11 filled, 1 TBA), and Japan got 9 spots.

USA could have more spots than Russia.
But USFS preferred to send Miller and Wang (who could obtain 4 GP spots) to JGP.

yude

Record Breaker
Wow...Skate America, Skate Canada and NHK Trophy are going to be no-mercy-from-god competitions for our J boys...Dai Taka Machida, Yuzuru Nobu Mura, then Dai Nobu Mura. :eek: They have to BEAT fellow skaters first then need to get onto podium in order to advance to GPF in Tokyo. And Dai has the hardest comps among all it seems...:slink: I just have to hope to skating god that they won't get burnt out and/or injured by the time Nats comes in late December. :bow:

ITA (sigh...).

bramweld

Record Breaker
Does anyone besides I/K have back to back GP assignments? It seems odd that they're so close together given the distance; NHK and TEB.

vera01

Final Flight
Does anyone besides I/K have back to back GP assignments? It seems odd that they're so close together given the distance; NHK and TEB.

Yes-Zijun Li(CoC and NHK). However, CoC is being held in her home country and Tokyo isn't that far away from China, so I don't think it's bad as I/K's case.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
B/H are doing the first two GPs, SA and SC (the same as Li, though)...

deedee1

Record Breaker
Thanks a lot for your replies, karne & AlexRus. :)

He is 26th on WS and 37th on SB.
So no guaranteed GP Events, and not very high chance to obtain GP Event by substitute.

oh...was he that bad last season. Then he will be needing to do a couple of Senior B comps instead, I guess. I do hope he will do much better there and 'strong and confident Tomas' will show up come the Nats and Euro. :yes: Good luck to him!

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Yes-Zijun Li(CoC and NHK). However, CoC is being held in her home country and Tokyo isn't that far away from China, so I don't think it's bad as I/K's case.

B/H are doing the first two GPs, SA and SC (the same as Li, though)...

Cheng PENG / Hao ZHANG (CHN) also are assigned to both Cup of China and NHK.

That said, I agree with vera and FSGMT that back-to-back events within one continent do not seem as onerous a combination as NHK and TEB.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Samantha Cesario "screwed herself" by her multiple URs in FS.
These URs are absolutely visible om video avaliable at Youtube.

Technical Controller was American, Ms. Sissy KRICK.
Do you want to tell that she doesn't see difference between Ured and nonURed jumps?
Or do you want to tell that she is so anti-patriotic to allow fake URs for American skater?

Sissy KRICK is GERMAN, not American!

ForeverFish

Medalist
its funny people already predict Julia will collapse lol

she beat Wagner and Asada last season in the SP
and medaled in both GP despite her injuries, she is used to a tough
list of competition have you forgotten who she was up against last season
while Gold is lock for Kim and silver to Osmond ( home ice inflation as usual ) at SC but at CoR she can even win gold medal

No one is predicting Julia's collapse. :rolleye: Neither Mao nor Ashley has a consistent 3-3, which is why Julia was able to win the SP by fractions of a point.

In case you hadn't noticed, she is one tough kid. Heck, if GP medals determined the remainder of one's skating career, where would Zijun Li, Gracie Gold, and even early Ashley Wagner be?

I see there's no use talking sense about Osmond. She'll win a medal at SC if she earns it; Skate Canada fed won't risk a Chan-esque scandal in Canada, AGAIN, by gifting her a medal she doesn't deserve. Whether or not she can beat Suzuki and Gold is the question mark; beating Kim is out of the question.

I see there's no use talking sense about Osmond. She'll win a medal at SC if she earns it; Skate Canada fed won't risk a Chan-esque scandal in Canada, AGAIN, by gifting her a medal she doesn't deserve.

I am always puzzled by this sort of analysis. How can the Skate Canada federation gift anyone with anything? Isn't it up to the international ISU judges and technical panel?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Osmond beat Gold at SC last year, but Gold beat Osmond at the next 3 meetings, and the score gap got bigger at each meeting:

4CC: Gold 166.66, Osmond 159.38
Worlds: Gold 184.25, Osmond 176.82
WTT: Gold 188.03, Osmond 164.85

Ice is slippery, and anything can happen, but I don't think Gold is going to revert to her SC 2012 form. Same with Suzuki, as her GP performances can definitely impact her chances at a Sochi berth. That means Osmond has to skate a clean FS to have a shot at a medal.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
No one is predicting Julia's collapse. :rolleye: Neither Mao nor Ashley has a consistent 3-3, which is why Julia was able to win the SP by fractions of a point.

In case you hadn't noticed, she is one tough kid. Heck, if GP medals determined the remainder of one's skating career, where would Zijun Li, Gracie Gold, and even early Ashley Wagner be?

I see there's no use talking sense about Osmond. She'll win a medal at SC if she earns it; Skate Canada fed won't risk a Chan-esque scandal in Canada, AGAIN, by gifting her a medal she doesn't deserve. Whether or not she can beat Suzuki and Gold is the question mark; beating Kim is out of the question.

excuse me but Skate Canada is notorious and known as the most corrupted Grand Prix, Osmond is a lock for GP medal in "home ice" even if she falls multiple times in her LP
if Kim falls twice Osmond might even have a chance to win gold over Kim Yuna, havent we already forgotten Fraudelent Chan's gold medal at Londons Worlds

A GP medal for Osmond outside Canada though is another different ball game
she tends to panic and falls multiple times as she probably knows her inflated marks wont apply at NHK or CoR

I'll eat dirt if Osmond doesn't medal at SC even with her 2 falls in LP

ForeverFish

Medalist
I am always puzzled by this sort of analysis. How can the Skate Canada federation gift anyone with anything? Isn't it up to the international ISU judges and technical panel?

Perhaps "gift" was the wrong word to use.

Honestly, though, I don't know. It's never made any sense to me, either, but sometimes I do have the feeling that skaters tend to receive better scores on home ice for comparably average skates -- Chan at Worlds is an extreme example. Of course, since this has never been proven, it's all just speculation. I was referring to sky_fly20's ridiculous claim that Osmond will win based solely on hometown inflation; I, personally, believe that while SCI cannot directly influence the results, they would be foolish to not take precautions.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Perhaps "gift" was the wrong word to use.

Honestly, though, I don't know. It's never made any sense to me, either, but sometimes I do have the feeling that skaters tend to receive better scores on home ice for comparably average skates -- Chan at Worlds is an extreme example. Of course, since this has never been proven, it's all just speculation. I was referring to sky_fly20's ridiculous claim that Osmond will win based solely on hometown inflation; I, personally, believe that while SCI cannot directly influence the results, they would be foolish to not take precautions.

do you need bionic lenses even to see how to compare Osmonds
scores on home ice compared to her outside competitions like 4CC or WTT

bramweld

Record Breaker
Cheng PENG / Hao ZHANG (CHN) also are assigned to both Cup of China and NHK.

That said, I agree with vera and FSGMT that back-to-back events within one continent do not seem as onerous a combination as NHK and TEB.

The high price for not putting together a good job at worlds.

Well, I think there are a lot of reasons why skaters have good results on home ice. The same is true of other sports, too.

Maybe the skaters soak up the energy of the crowd and perform better. Maybe travel, jet lag, and familiar surroundings play a role. Maybe the judges hear the audience going crazy and subconsciously think, hey, this guy must be doing pretty good.

There may even be a bit of, wouldn't it be cool if the home town favorite won a medal -- the crowd goes home happy and the local club is glad they put up the money to host the event in the first place.

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker
I am not talking about "total career collapse." Where/when did I suggest that Julia would bomb right out of the senior ranks?

No, she probably won't win a medal. I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed. Have you SEEN the fields she's up against? Unless you're suggesting that she can surpass Kim, Suzuki, Gold, Kostner, or Murakami, you're grasping at straws.

Korpi can beat her. Osmond can beat her. Tuktamysheva HAS beat her. I can't seem to find the proof behind your argument.

I agree all those people CAN beat her but I'd also posit she CAN beat Gold, Suzuki (should not be possible but with the judges it is) or Murakami. All 3 of them CAN beat her too, but you never know. A lot depends also on her (Julia's) form this year. I will wait to see her jump before I say anything either way. Puberty can be ugly.