Grand Prix Analysis (Men), Winners/Losers | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix Analysis (Men), Winners/Losers

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
I actually just saw snippets of videos for Boyang's latest program. Quite frankly it does look like he significantly improve on his performance and skating skills though. Whether it will translate in PCS boost at SA would depend on how he will actually skate at that event, but maybe if he indeed skate like how he did at those footage, I won't be surprised if his PCS break into the 80s. :think:

Honestly I think Patrick is a safe bet for GPF. I really don't see him placing below 2nd at both SC (especially SC!!!) and CoC, barring a disastrous skate. 2 silver is more than enough for GPF ticket.

I also have just seen snippets of his stsq, the video is too short to tell anything but I see his edge looks the same and arm movements /choreo looks rather chaotic for me , the improvement I noticed there was his speed but we can't tell yet, on practice everyone looks faster. I think we should wait for actual competition.

mcq

Record Breaker
I also have just seen snippets of his stsq, the video is too short to tell anything but I see his edge looks the same and arm movements /choreo looks rather chaotic for me , the improvement I noticed there was his speed but we can't tell yet, on practice everyone looks faster. I think we should wait for actual competition.

Yes, I agree, that is why I mentioned it will depend on how he will actually skate on d-day. But I noticed improvement at least from the video, but as you said most of the time skaters in practice is not the same as how they will be during competition. SA will be very interesting :biggrin:

Marin

Record Breaker
Yes, I agree, that is why I mentioned it will depend on how he will actually skate on d-day. But I noticed improvement at least from the video, but as you said most of the time skaters in practice is not the same as how they will be during competition. SA will be very interesting :biggrin:

I am a bit surprised that he decided not to do any challenger/Senior B competition. He hasn't had any competition for more than 6 month. Also usually Boyang suffers from jetlag changing timezone. I don't expect anything spectacular from him at SA to be honest but it is just my pure speculation.

mcq

Record Breaker
I am a bit surprised that he decided not to do any challenger/Senior B competition. He hasn't had any competition for more than 6 month. Also usually Boyang suffers from jetlag changing timezone. I don't expect anything spectacular from him at SA to be honest but it is just my pure speculation.

I don't think he did any last season as well if I am not wrong. Within a week we will know. But quite frankly for men's GP SA is perhaps the most exciting one because judging from the entries I feel like we are in a treat for a total surprise!

Marin

Record Breaker
I don't think he did any last season as well if I am not wrong. Within a week we will know. But quite frankly for men's GP SA is perhaps the most exciting one because judging from the entries I feel like we are in a treat for a total surprise!

If I am not mistaken last year he did have some domestic competition in summer...
yes SA seems very interesting.. can't wait already.

Biellmann

Match Penalty
SA
Gold Boyang, Silver Shoma
SC
Gold Yuzuru, Silver Chan
Cor
Gold Shoma, Silver Fernandez
Teb
Gold Fernandez, Silver Nathan Chen
Coc
Gold Chan, Silver Boyang
NHK
Gold Chen, Silver Yuzuru

All of them will be in a 1+2 position in this way.

:laugh:

Yuzuru will not win a s*** in Chanada :rofl2:

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
For me the biggest losers are my two favourite headcases: Michal Brezina and Han Yan. They both got Skate Canada where they have to face Yuzuru Hanyu and Patrick Chan and Cup of China where there's again Patrick Chan and Boyang Jin. Han Yan may have a bigger chance to podium in CoC, because skating in home.

The winners: Shoma Uno, Mikhail Kolyada. They both have huge chances to qualify to GPF while not be top3 seeds.

Who might be the spoilers: Denis Ten, Max Aaron, Maxim Kovtun

I actually think the GPF Final will have similiar field to last year, though would love to see some diversity :)

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

To be honest i have a similar feeling, and I say that as a fan. I think he is planning a bit of a slow burn season. I think we will see him improve much over the season, and I think we will see a lovely Boyang next year at worlds, but I am not expecting a repeat of COC for Boyang.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker

There's nothing surprising about Boyang not competing before the GP series starts if you know about the history of Chinese men in the sport. The previous Chinese No. 1, man, Han Yan and Song Nan haven't competed B competition as well except Han at Asian Trophy before he became a full time senior. Moreover, only two cases don't equate "usual jet lag suffering" if you mean Boyang's World in Boston and the non-serious invitational event after Worlds in Spokane. Given that Han and Zijun had trained in California for a month before Worlds, Boyang could be in a similar situation too.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
There's nothing surprising about Boyang not competing before the GP series starts if you know about the history of Chinese men in the sport. The previous Chinese No. 1, man, Han Yan and Song Nan haven't competed B competition as well except Han at Asian Trophy before he became a full time senior. Moreover, only two cases don't equate "usual jet lag suffering" if you mean Boyang's World in Boston and the non-serious invitational event after Worlds in Spokane. Given that Han and Zijun had trained in California for a month before Worlds, Boyang could be in a similar situation too.

And Boyang is the first man to medal at worlds... thinking his path could be different is not that far fetched.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
And Boyang is the first man to medal at worlds... thinking his path could be different is not that far fetched.

Sure, but based on the previous record, Uno and Hanyu seem to suffer "usual jet lag" who competed more in North America than Boyang's two appearances (one is not even a point-earning event) in USA. North America too. We're going to find out how Boyang would do eventually, but I think not competing B competition is a wise decision for him as he could be vulnerable to get hosed on PCS by events held in North America and Europe. Thinking of the absurd case on Mura at US Classic..:laugh:

Last edited:

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
Well if Yuzuru is a role model for Nathan he should be making a GRADUAL progression on quads. Even though Yuzuru is viewed as a "quad monster" his path was:

Age 16: 1 quad
Age 18: 2 quads
Age 20: 3 quads
Age 21: attempting 4 quads

You don't have to progress the same way as your role model. The sport is continually being pushed by these skaters, so if the day comes that Nathan feels he is capable of doing as many quads as he wants, he should go for it.

mcq

Record Breaker
Apparently denis ten withdrew from SA so he will definitely be out of GPF.
Wonder what is up with him, is he injured? He withdrew during Ondrej Nepela too and he was already there at the venue.
Just few days before SA, guess we will see who the real winners and losers of this assignment. :biggrin:

Marin

Record Breaker

Uhm so I was right... I think had he done one chellenger he wouldn't have suffered that much, sp especially is hella difficult for him, packed with transitions.....sad for him really only miracle can get him into finals

mcq

Record Breaker
Uhm so I was right... I think had he done one chellenger he wouldn't have suffered that much, sp especially is hella difficult for him, packed with transitions.....sad for him really only miracle can get him into finals

Yeah, that SP was a meltdown. So I think unless he won CoC, chances are slim?

Marin

Record Breaker
Yeah, that SP was a meltdown. So I think unless he won CoC, chances are slim?

I don't think 1/5 is enough unless miracle happens.

mcq

Record Breaker
I don't think 1/5 is enough unless miracle happens.

1/5 is 22 points right? That is the same as the point Murakami gets last GPF. (Patrick is 1/5 too iirc, but he is special case because of TEB situation) It is still a slim chance but it is not none. Shoma and Jason looks like they will likely be at GPF. Unless both disaster-ed, Shoma should get to the podium at CoR and Jason at NHK. Should be enough for them.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Remember when Yuzuru has qualified to GPF with 2 and 5 place? What excatly is impossible? He just need right circumstances.