Grand Prix Assignments 2023/24 released | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix Assignments 2023/24 released

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Skating (or doing something like playing a musical instrument or anything that requires extreme discipline) often starts at a younger age, with parental input, coaches' motivation, the support/healthy competition (sometimes unhealthy) from your colleagues who are also aspiring to improve, get awards etc...

I personally perceive this "skating for myself" as a reinforcement that one does it for the love of the sport.... That doesn't mean not wanting to represent nor win... but simply that at a stage in an athlete's life, they have reached their goals (or got satisfied with what they have achieved if not the original goals they were dreaming of) and the desire to keep going is truly coming from within. For some, this is doing shows... for others,, it's competing with another mindset, a new perspective, sometimes even a new training schedule or routine.

It's not only a positive thing but it's also quite common.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Both senior age eligible national team Finnish men who could have got the 3rd host spot in Espoo are listed in juniors at test competion this weekend. I think it means they are looking for JGP spots. So I suppose it means Finland's host spot TBD is open for someone outside Finland. My quess still is either Kylyro Marsak or Nikita Starostin. Edit. Both Arttu Juusola and Matias Lindfors are substutues for Matias Heinonen at JGP Austria, so it is confirmed they stay in junior level at GP.

Last edited:

CrazyKittenLady

Thanks for skating, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Both senior age eligible national team Finnish men who could have got the 3rd host spot in Espoo are listed in juniors at test competion this weekend. I think it means they are looking for JGP spots. So I suppose it means Finland's host spot TBD is open for someone outside Finland. My quess still is either Kylyro Marsak or Nikita Starostin.
Kyrylo is on the entry list for JGP Istanbul, so he won't be eligible for the senior GP. I also hope they give it to Nikita now. :cheer:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
All withdrawals are still open, you can just see who gets 2 and who gets 1 assignment.

TT_Fin

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Thank you. I was just trying to find out TBDs because they should have announced and search guided me to that page. I could not read the table, they are still on the list, so sorry. (And sorry the stupid typos, I should not try to comment using cell phone

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Thank you. I was just trying to find out TBDs because they should have announced and search guided me to that page. I could not read the table, they are still on the list, so sorry. (And sorry the stupid typos, I should not try to comment using cell phone
did you use wiki on your cell phone too? Maybe that's why you got confused with the Withdrew line just below the name of the skaters you mentioned,but of course, they are not in that category. I could see why it may have looked confusing perhaps, if you were using a phone... on the computer screen, it's quite clear.

TT_Fin

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
did you use wiki on your cell phone too? Maybe that's why you got confused with the Withdrew line just below the name of the skaters you mentioned,but of course, they are not in that category. I could see why it may have looked confusing perhaps, if you were using a phone... on the computer screen, it's quite clear.
Thank you. That is was. I removed the names from the original post and edited it so others do not get confused. Finland should have announced host spot participants already, but it seems FED still is waiting, maybe want to see more competence from the skaters.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Thank you. That is was. I removed the names from the original post and edited it so others do not get confused. Finland should have announced host spot participants already, but it seems FED still is waiting, maybe want to see more competence from the skaters.
Finland has updated their women's entries - Janna Jyrkinen, Oona Ounasvuori, Nella Pelkonen are the host picks.

Country
Norway

I wonder who will replace Nicole. Given the replacement list it seems likely that Kurakova will get a second spot, but will it be Skate Canada or NHK Trophy? Since Kurakova is already doing Skate America, NHK Trophy would make more sense, but that would leave Ziegler out of spot since US already have 3 spots at Skate Canada. Kihira can´t replace Nicole in either since JPN is already maxed out on spots in both (However she can get JPNs TBD spot at NHK Trophy). Given that Ziegler doesn´t have a spot yet, it seems she should get the one at NHK Trophy, and that would leave Kurakova with Skate Canada. Or will they try to avoid skaters with back to back GPs?
However, Ziegler can still be given the TBD spot at Skate America (seems likely atm)., so in that case, Kurakova might be given NHK Trophy spot and then the Skate Canada spot might be given to Seoyeon Ji.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
I wonder who will replace Nicole. Given the replacement list it seems likely that Kurakova will get a second spot, but will it be Skate Canada or NHK Trophy? Since Kurakova is already doing Skate America, NHK Trophy would make more sense, but that would leave Ziegler out of spot since US already have 3 spots at Skate Canada. Kihira can´t replace Nicole in either since JPN is already maxed out on spots in both (However she can get JPNs TBD spot at NHK Trophy). Given that Ziegler doesn´t have a spot yet, it seems she should get the one at NHK Trophy, and that would leave Kurakova with Skate Canada. Or will they try to avoid skaters with back to back GPs?
However, Ziegler can still be given the TBD spot at Skate America (seems likely atm)., so in that case, Kurakova might be given NHK Trophy spot and then the Skate Canada spot might be given to Seoyeon Ji.
Keep in mind that the hosting federations are the ones who will be choosing who to invite from the 10 highest-ranked skaters on the replacement list, so back-to-back GPs are not necessarily likely to be of great consideration. Jimmy Ma, for example, now has Cup of China and GP Espoo back-to-back. There even might be some financial interest in choosing skaters from a closer training location or who are already entered in a geographically and time-wise close GP event.

Though Skate Canada seems to just select someone randomly from the top 10 of the list, sometimes they go for the top skater, sometimes for someone who is geographically close, and sometimes they just seem to pick someone blindly.🤷‍♀️

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Keep in mind that the hosting federations are the ones who will be choosing who to invite from the 10 highest-ranked skaters on the replacement list, so back-to-back GPs are not necessarily likely to be of great consideration. Jimmy Ma, for example, now has Cup of China and GP Espoo back-to-back. There even might be some financial interest in choosing skaters from a closer training location or who are already entered in a geographically and time-wise close GP event.

Though Skate Canada seems to just select someone randomly from the top 10 of the list, sometimes they go for the top skater, sometimes for someone who is geographically close, and sometimes they just seem to pick someone blindly.🤷‍♀️
and sometimes they give up hosts spots LOL ... sorry... i had to say it

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Maé-Bérénice Méité 🇫🇷 has been assigned to Skate Canada and Ava Marie Ziegler 🇺🇸 to NHK Trophy.

Once again, Skate Canda proving that they are just kind of doing whatever they want, because Maé-Bérénice is actually the lowest-ranked skater of the first replacement group.

Country
Norway

Spot on, Skate Canada just picked Mae. Since Kihira can´t be picked Mae was nr. 10 I think.

I´m happy for Mae, just didn´t expect that. I was also a bit surprised to see Clare Seo get the host spot for SA over Ziegler, but I guess it´s alright since Ziegler got NHK Trophy.