Grand Prix Assignments are up!!!! | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix Assignments are up!!!!

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Ladies SA, SC,Lalique and COR have only 11. Why is this if they are not to be filled?
Joe, you're mistaken, SA, SC and Lalique all have 12 skaters, the maxiumum. You need to reread SF5's post, where it is explained quite accurately.

BG - The last entry on the sheet for Ladies GP Assignments I have are:

SA - SC - JPN Bebe CHN Jenny FRA - RUS -

There are not 72 Ladies listed. Is my sheet wrong?

JOe

euterpe

Medalist
If there are THREE seeded skaters, then there are NINE invitees. With TWO seeded skaters, there are TEN invitees.

That's why it looks as if there is an empty place when there isn't one.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The USFSA makes the US selections for Skate America, and I guess Angela Nikodinov, who finished 5th at US Nationals, got the choice before AP.

The US places at the other GP competitions are invited by the other host countries. My guess is AP didn't get invited because two years in a row she failed to compete in at least one of her GP assignments. She didn't get a visa in time for Cup of Russia in 2002. In 2003, she finished 4th at Cup of China but then didn't skate in her second event due to injury.

thvudragon

On the Ice
Ptichka said:
Lalique?
I thought that when ISU added Cup of China, they said that Lalique and Bofrost would alternate as GP events. Last year, the choice was easy because Germany refused to implement CoP at Grand Prix. I am surprised it's Lalique this year, though.
IIRC, it was always said that Bofrost would no longer be a GP and would be fully replaced by CoC. Lalique (now most likely Trophee de France) is here to stay for now.

Joesitz said:
BG - The last entry on the sheet for Ladies GP Assignments I have are:

SA - SC - JPN Bebe CHN Jenny FRA - RUS -

There are not 72 Ladies listed. Is my sheet wrong?
:confused: You are aware that the total number of skaters is shown at the bottom, right? Try counting!

TV

Sylvia

Record Breaker
childfreegirl said:
IIRC, only pairs can do both the Jr and Sr. GP in the same year.

Correct. So far, USA's Brittany Vise & Nicholas Kole and Canada's Jessica Dube & Bryce Davison are 2 of the pair teams that will be competing in both the JGP and Senior GP this fall.

Gipson

Rinkside
thvudragon said:
IIRC, it was always said that Bofrost would no longer be a GP and would be fully replaced by CoC. Lalique (now most likely Trophee de France) is here to stay for now.
Why is it no longer called Lalique?

lulu

Final Flight
Gipson said:
Why is it no longer called Lalique?

Don't know for sure-but all of the other events, except the NHK trophy(JPN) have the country's name as part of the title, ex: Skate America; maybe France just didn't want to be left out!:D

Too bad about Lalique no longer being a sponsor. Their crystal trophy was the coolest prize, IMO.

Am I reading the list right that Michelle, Miki Ando, and Sasha meet at SA and that Miki and Sasha meet again at another GP event? If so, that will be verrry interrresting since Robin Wagner has been talking about working on getting Sasha the quad but Miki already HAS the quad. I want to see what SC and MA's strategy will be against each other, not to mention MK against Ando and Cohen under the COP. Heck, MK against all the top ladies under the COP.

Assuming Michelle competes in her events--and I'm sure she will in preparation for '06--this will be the first time we'll have seen her fully compete in the GP series since '01/02, IIRC. Not to mention her first competitions under the COP. I can't wait to see what Michelle and Arutunian come up with in terms of COP programs. I think they will be thrilling!
Rgirl

It's all about beating MK in any competition. It has been since 1995.

MK is now an Olys and Worlds bronze medalist (her lowest standings) and STILL, it's all about beating Michelle Kwanr.

Let us let her skate and see what this veteran can do and, of course, keep our eyes on Yukna Ota/:)

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
lulu said:
Don't know for sure-but all of the other events, except the NHK trophy(JPN) have the country's name as part of the title, ex: Skate America; maybe France just didn't want to be left out!:D
Actually, Cup of Russia is officially called Galina Blanca, Skate America is really Smark Ones Skate America, etc.

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Miki Ando vs. Sasha

Rgirl said:
Too bad about Lalique no longer being a sponsor. Their crystal trophy was the coolest prize, IMO.

Am I reading the list right that Michelle, Miki Ando, and Sasha meet at SA and that Miki and Sasha meet again at another GP event? If so, that will be verrry interrresting since Robin Wagner has been talking about working on getting Sasha the quad but Miki already HAS the quad. I want to see what SC and MA's strategy will be against each other, not to mention MK against Ando and Cohen under the COP. Heck, MK against all the top ladies under the COP.
In terms of Miki vs. Sasha, I think a good strategy for both skaters would be to focus on their strengths. Miki's best chance is to try to outjump Cohen. She has the 3/3s down and proved her quad is more than just talk. But under CoP, she has to hit a clean one for it to count.

For Sasha, she needs to put the 3/3 back in. That should be enough to ensure she stays competitive technically. However, trying to get into a jump war with Miki is a recipe for disaster. She should try to wow the judges with her exquisite and unique above-the-blade moves -- an area Miki cannot touch her in.

I have no idea what Michelle is cooking up for this season, but I am dying to find out.

soogar

Record Breaker
Not to knock Miki, but it's not as if she has the quad down pat. She didn't land one in her LP at worlds and I forget if she tried it in the QR. It seems that she falls more on her quad than lands it. I just don't see the quad as an element that Miki can count on.