Greatest short programs in ladies' figure skating | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Greatest short programs in ladies' figure skating

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Romanza was absoslutely gorgeous during the 2006 Worlds! For me it was pure brilliance.

I also loved Dream of Desdemona, Rachmaninoff, East of Eden, Sparctacus, The Feeling Begins!

All of those programs are "for the ages." I don't think Michelle can be criticized for not having 3-3s in the short program, since that was a rarity under 6.0, where the SP score wasn't carried over. What she had was the "it" factor, whether it was in a seamless performance like Rach or her explosive footwork in TFB or in her amazing spiral, choreographed exactly to the right beat of the music, in Spartacus at 2005 Nationals. ( PS-I think you meant 1996 for Romanza--another groundbreaking performance).

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I think "Roxanne" is the better program. The elements are more interestingly placed, the timing with the music is phenomenal and the whole thing - as skated at Worlds 2007 is just a dazzler. But with "Danse MaCabre"... well, Kim's simply speaking, a better skater then. There's no worries about the back, so consequently, her command of the ice, her presence, her conviction, etc.... it's just fierce (and the program itself is no slouch either - the step sequence is divine). So six of one, a half dozen of the other.

cosmos

On the Ice
The Danse Macabre

entire post
Great post. Yes, it was a new kind of figure skating that is different from traditional skating. I hope YuNa gives another great performance of this kind if she choose to continue competing.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Great post. Yes, it was a new kind of figure skating that is different from traditional skating. I hope YuNa gives another great performance of this kind if she choose to continue competing.

What exactly is "traditional skating"?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Off topic but speaking of the mid to late 80s, from what I've seen on youtube (thus those who were following skating then please step in!), I can't help but think the judging was massively reputation/politics/impression oriented, more so than now. e.g. Debi Thomas and Katarina Witt beating Midori (and Liz Manley whose skating was superior to Debi IMO)!

Do you mean this move where her head faces down is in character with the ending of the opera? Please elaborate as I'm intrigued.

I thought Midori should have won the SP with Debi 2nd. Liz's LP was excellent, but her SP was if anything a bit overgraded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl3PelmX05M
Midori Ito SP 1988 Olympics
The negative is that the Rippon lutz was supposed to be a Rippon flip. Since the required jump was a flip, it's possible that this was the excuse to put her behind Debi and Katarina.
The 2A from that lutz entrance was amazing, and the 2Lp3Lp astounding. Everything else was good too. I'd have her in first, but narrowly because of the lip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChmdEFrn3OY
Debi Thomas SP 1988 Olympics
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgMPlavJ_Gs
All of Debi's jumps were textbook, and the height of the 3T after the 2lp in the combination spectacular, and the distance she covered were just excellent. Also everything was on the beat. Her speed was outstanding in this number.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57AXUFZ_Vho
Caryn Kadavy 1988 Olympics SP
Caryn did a 3Lp2Lp combo, but otherwise didn't have the speed of either Ito or Thomas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9m1Z9Izcpg
Katarina Witt SP 1988 Olympics
I could have had her below Liz, especially doing 3T2Lp, the easiest combo of this group.

Liz Manley SP 1988 Olympics
Liz's combination with 3S2Lp was easier than Debi's, plus it was scratchy on the landing. She did not have the speed of Debi either. I have no problem whatsoever with Liz being behind Debi in the SP. Camel spin was up on the toe and a bit slow, too.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I feel that Yu-Na's Short Programs became choreographically worse with each passing year.

"Roxanne" is where it begins and ends. Masterpiece.

"Die Fledermaus" is a nice and very pleasant program, but definitely not on the same level as Roxanne.

"Danse MaCabre" is where Yu-Na's programs stop being about the music and choreography as much and become more about just presenting her as a fierce queen (whilst stringently adhering to CoP rules). The energy she has is almost intoxicating, which works on a general level with this music, but I don't find it to be an artistic success on the whole.

"007" is simplistic pap. A couple moments are kind of fun but in the end this is just a silly jumble.

"Giselle" really annoys me in parts, with that superficial face-stroking and mock dagger-stabbing. It's commendable that they were trying to tell a story here but it really just doesn't come together. Although, this program might still be better than 007 because there is no useless spiral sequence and because I do admire the section of the program around the Double Axel.

DianaSelene

Medalist
I feel that Yu-Na's Short Programs became choreographically worse with each passing year.

"Roxanne" is where it begins and ends. Masterpiece.

"Die Fledermaus" is a nice and very pleasant program, but definitely not on the same level as Roxanne.

"Danse MaCabre" is where Yu-Na's programs stop being about the music and choreography as much and become more about just presenting her as a fierce queen (whilst stringently adhering to CoP rules). The energy she has is almost intoxicating, which works on a general level with this music, but I don't find it to be an artistic success on the whole.

"007" is simplistic pap. A couple moments are kind of fun but in the end this is just a silly jumble.

"Giselle" really annoys me in parts, with that superficial face-stroking and mock dagger-stabbing. It's commendable that they were trying to tell a story here but it really just doesn't come together. Although, this program might still be better than 007 because there is no useless spiral sequence and because I do admire the section of the program around the Double Axel.

Agree.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Danse Macabre, the music, is almost perfectly suited for skating. Jenny Kirk had a nice program to this music as have others
(including Brian Orser, as I recall). That is not to take away from Yu Na's program--she skated it very well and her 3-3, of course, is awesome.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I think "Roxanne" is the better program. The elements are more interestingly placed, the timing with the music is phenomenal and the whole thing - as skated at Worlds 2007 is just a dazzler. But with "Danse MaCabre"... well, Kim's simply speaking, a better skater then. There's no worries about the back, so consequently, her command of the ice, her presence, her conviction, etc.... it's just fierce (and the program itself is no slouch either - the step sequence is divine). So six of one, a half dozen of the other.

I agree Roxanne is the more refined artistic program as it has got some legs already having been used since the juniors days choreographed by Tom Dixon, and later refined more by David Wilson. Yuna was clearly inspired in her senior debut, she looks like someone who's thankful for the privilege to compete despite her injuries that almost wouldn't allow her compete. She was the ingénue with nothing to loose. The contrast between her real self vs the matured performance was like wake up call, fresh arrival and a real contender. Unfortunately her injury did impact some of her elements, e.g spirals, that is why Danse just tipped it for me.

In her 2009 WC, she's like a puma who's egging on to take her rightful place in the figure skating world. The performance felt she was completely free and inspired. It was exciting because all the elements were on the brink of limitations, it was full on athleticism with nice little touches by imo the most artistic and musical skater of the current era, and she was clearly aggressive to go after gold, and that is always inspiring to see in your champions.

I have often wondered how much she was inspired by Michelle Kwan in the audience, it was the first time they met at that championship. And of course it is the first time she was completely healthy. Even Bond felt a little bit controlled. For the record, I wouldn't call it pap, but certainly i can see why BoP did, my appreciation of the program changed over time. It is all about balance, out of all her short programs the one that complement Gershwin the most for range and diversity is Bond. Something to entertain the world wide audience who might never cared much for figure skating with Yuna the superstar/entertainer vs something rather elitist and technical to please the COP judges and the skating aficionados.

Last edited:

cosmos

On the Ice
I like all Tango, Danse Macabre, Bond, so I can't judge which is better choreographically and which one is more artistic. But, anyway, YuNa's Danse Macabre was a great success and gave huge impact on the audience and experts.

parma

On the Ice
I feel that Yu-Na's...

Many figure skating experts who commented about Danse Macabre (judging from their comments) praised the choreography and her performance as one of the best in the history, so I think they will surely disagree with you (I too :)). Danse Macabre was all about showing off her artistic side, energy and musicality. She was not just fierce but also totally musical with her skating and upper body movements.

Last edited:

prettykeys

Medalist
It was exciting because all the elements were on the brink of limitations
I LOVE this phrase from you, os! I agree...I thought the sense of YuNa being on the brink of limitations, was like dancing between the world of the living and the dead (as death is perhaps the most limiting of limitations). And that YuNa portrayed herself fearlessly in that Danse makes me go :love: I enjoyed Danse Macabre more than the springy-cute Die Fledermaus, so I can't agree that her SP's have gotten worse over time since Roxanne, and I definitely think the theme and choreography of the Danse matched the music. I do consider Roxanne to be superior in its choreography and presentation, but it was in 2008-2009 with Danse Macabre that YuNa's figure skating skills became more polished, so overall I enjoyed both equally.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
I thought Midori should have won the SP with Debi 2nd. Liz's LP was excellent, but her SP was if anything a bit overgraded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl3PelmX05M
Midori Ito SP 1988 Olympics
The negative is that the Rippon lutz was supposed to be a Rippon flip. Since the required jump was a flip, it's possible that this was the excuse to put her behind Debi and Katarina.
The 2A from that lutz entrance was amazing, and the 2Lp3Lp astounding. Everything else was good too. I'd have her in first, but narrowly because of the lip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChmdEFrn3OY
Debi Thomas SP 1988 Olympics
All of Debi's jumps were textbook, and the height of the 3T after the 2lp in the combination spectacular, and the distance she covered were just excellent. Also everything was on the beat. Her speed was outstanding in this number.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57AXUFZ_Vho
Caryn Kadavy 1988 Olympics SP
Caryn did a 3Lp2Lp combo, but otherwise didn't have the speed of either Ito or Thomas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9m1Z9Izcpg
Katarina Witt SP 1988 Olympics
I could have had her below Liz, especially doing 3T2Lp, the easiest combo of this group.

Liz Manley SP 1988 Olympics
Liz's combination with 3S2Lp was easier than Debi's, plus it was scratchy on the landing. She did not have the speed of Debi either. I have no problem whatsoever with Liz being behind Debi in the SP. Camel spin was up on the toe and a bit slow, too.

That arms overhead lutz should have been named for Midori! She did it way before Adam! :cool:

Krislite

Medalist
That arms overhead lutz should have been named for Midori! She did it way before Adam! :cool:

A move is seldom named after its originator. It's named, instead, after the skater who popularized it and made it his/her signature--e.g. Denise Biellmann.

backhand45

Rinkside
That's Enough

Well, you're in this too.

The comments on this page are beneath this forum. A forum I have come to love, and will not stand by and watch it's standards be lowered by this kind of talk. We're better than this everyone !!

Backhand

parma

On the Ice
Yuna's 007 number was more of a fun side, but her artistic side came back with her new Giselle number, which hasn't fully sharpened in competitions yet but her Giselle performance in the recent ice show gives a glimpse of a tremendous potential. Personally, I dig the theatrical aspect of its choreography. Very rarely found in figure skating programs.