Han Yan & Yuzuru Hanyu health updates | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Han Yan & Yuzuru Hanyu health updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

ayarose

On the Ice
@ayarose, can you please explain to us cranial contusion as that is the diagnosis on Yuzuru's condition? Is it the same as cerebral contusion?

I'm going to make this quick, I'm at work. Contusion is not the same as concussion. Contusion is bruising (macroscopic/visible) while concussion refers to the the microscopic injuries. BOTH are dangerous, but I think I'll rather have a contusion than a concussion. As I said, the stratification of his injury is low risk but I would still note for signs of head trauma within the next 48 hours. No physical exertions for at least 2 weeks. Gotta go, I'll make a more detailed explaination later. I'll try to ask the subspecs on their opinion too.

Franklin99

Medalist
I'm going to make this quick, I'm at work. Contusion is not the same as concussion. Contusion is bruising (macroscopic/visible) while concussion refers to the the microscopic injuries. BOTH are dangerous, but I think I'll rather have a contusion than a concussion. As I said, the stratification of his injury is low risk but I would still note for signs of head trauma within the next 48 hours. No physical exertions for at least 2 weeks. Gotta go, I'll make a more detailed explaination later. I'll try to ask the subspecs on their opinion too.

Thank you for providing us with these helpful info ayarose.

Bonesfan

On the Ice
Any neurologists on the board? I'm a scientist, not a physician.

I found a decent description from a book by two medical school professors (Dartmouth, USA)

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~dons/part_3/chapter_29.html

Contusions
Contusions of the brain are bruises usually associated with more severe trauma than necessary for concussion. They are most prominent at the summits of gyri, the cerebral poles (particularly the frontal poles and the anterior temporal lobe), and portions of the brain stem. All these regions lie close to the bony and dural surfaces of the cranial cavity. They may directly underlie the site of the blow to the cranium or may be opposite the site of impact (contrecoup). The contusions can usually be seen acutely on CT scan (which shows extravasated blood) as small petechiae in the brain parenchyma. The breakdown products of this blood may be seen for years on MRI scanning.

Concussion
Concussion is a reversible state of diffuse cerebral dysfunction associated with a transient alteration in consciousness. Most often there is a brief period of loss of consciousness. However, patients may be only severely stunned or dazed. Typically, there is loss of memory for recent events (retrograde amnesia), and this may extend for some seconds or minutes prior to the injury and, rarely, with more severe impact, for days or more. A variable period of inability to learn new material (anterograde amnesia) typically follows recovery of consciousness and may be dense enough to leave the patient with no memory of early post injury events. Rarely, some patients tell of being "unconscious" for weeks to as long as several months following head injury. In fact, they were not unconscious but were unable to remember ongoing events. The retrograde amnesia is presumed to be caused by a mechanical distortion of neurons, probably in the temporal lobes, which consolidate the memory trace. The anterograde amnesia is presumed to be the result of distortion of the mesial temporal-limbic circuits known to be necessary for learning.
The underlying pathophysiology of concussion appears to be a shearing effect. Rapid displacement of the head, in either acceleration or deceleration injury, causes a swirling of the cerebrum within the cranium, and shearing forces play most markedly at the junctions between brain tissues of different density. Rotational injuries may be particularly damaging, since the brain stem torques quite easily while there is a lot of inertia against the rotation of the cerebral cortex. This results in torsion of the nerve fibers in the core of the brain (i.e., the reticular activating system). Another major zone of diffuse axonal injury is the interface between gray and white matter. It is here and in the core of the rostral brain stem that microscopic evidence of ruptured axons can be found pathologically. It is not surprising that the patient's resistance to future concussion tends to decline with repeated concussions or that repeated concussion, such as boxers experience, may lead to dementia.
Penetrating injuries of the cranium, such as bullet wounds, frequently cause only focal cerebral dysfunction without loss of consciousness because no cranial displacement and brain shearing occur.

From what I gather, the difference seems to be bleeding of brain tissue (contusion) versus shearing/neuronal damage (concussion)? As ayarose as pointed out, contusions are generally macroscopic, meaning covering a larger area, and can be visualized. Computerized Tomography (CT scan) done soon after the injury is most effective for diagnosing contusions.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker

Thanks ayarose!

Kalina

On the Ice
I think the article is simply referring to the superficial injury of his head, it refers to the head and jaw in the same way.

glam

On the Ice
I saw an interview with Lysacek once where he estimated he probably had 15-20 concussions in the course of his career...I have no clue if that is in any way normal for a singles skater, but he said he had seen a lot of pairs accidents with concussions at the rink as well. Elladj Balde just had to drop out of Skate Canada due to a concussion. I wouldn't be surprised if these things happen in training much more often than we hear about.

Wow, 15-20 concussions!! If that's true, he will have some serious problems in the future. More than three concussions will damage the brain.

Meoima

Match Penalty
My friend in Japan told me, they estimated that Yuzuru and Han Yan collided into each other with the speed of 60km/h = 37.28 MPH (because they skated from the opposite direction). :slink:
That's a miracle they both stood up after that. :bow: Then skated... :bang:

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
The last few pages have been nothing but helpful updates so thanks everyone so much! You all are amazing :agree:

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
^Thanks Kalina and Mii9000 for that confirmation! Answered prayers. Am so relieved and happy with the sense that Yuzuru has dodged a bullet here.

Over at the Yan Han thread, no news yet about the results of his medical tests results although there was a post that his coach confirmed he will be competing at TEB. I hope someone can update us on this.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
http://www.jiji.com/jc/zc?k=201411/2014111000642&g=spo

The medical check revealed that there was no brain damage (thanks for the info and translation to Mii9000 from YH Forum).
This confirms that the diagnosis was referring to the superficial damage to his head and chin.

^Thanks Kalina and Mii9000 for that confirmation! Answered prayers. Am so relieved and happy with the sense that Yuzuru has dodged a bullet here.

Over at the Yan Han thread, no news yet about the results of his medical tests results although there was a post that his coach confirmed he will be competing at TEB. I hope someone can update us on this.

I'm happy Han's team feels he's good enough to compete at TEB. And of course I'm relieved there was no brain damage for Yuzuru :yay:

ayarose

On the Ice
Just got home. I've read the reports and although I'm not that proficient in Japanese, I can at least breath a little easier now.

From the official press release, his injury is listed as [頭部挫創、下顎挫創、腹部挫傷、左大腿挫傷、右足関節捻挫], which I would translate in my mind as: head contusion, contusion on the lower chin, abdominal contusion, left thigh contusion and his ever present buddy R ankle sprain.

As I've said, contusion means bruising. I would rather have a patient with a contusion because it meant I'm more aware of what to expect, whereas concussion is more of a minute injuries whose extent I can't immediately assess. However, like all injuries there's a severity scale and risk stratification. One's prognosis depends on that severity thus patients' particularly suffering from intermediate to severe head injury are closely monitored and those with minor head injury are given head trauma precautions. They are both dangerous thus head injury shouldn't be taken lightly until at least a neuroimaging scan clears them.

Now let's move on to Yuzu's report, which is now our most important source of information. I would rather think that the bruising was a combination of the force received by those area and the natural reaction of the body to the injury. Base on the press reports, the scans were clear (I guess this means CT/MRI plus a probable ultrasound for blood/free fluids in the abdomen which is often done in blunt injury to detect internal bleeding) and the kanji used was 頭 (head) rather than 脳 (brain) so I can say that rules out brain injury. Correct me if I'm wrong for those who are more proficient in kanji reading, I hope I'm not blinded with optimism for Yuzuru. I chosed to believed this report because nothing can be gain if JSF tries to withheld the info thus I'll pray more for Yuzu's health, believe his words and his family/team and just simply hope. The prognosis seems good.

Skating Moose

Spectator
I just watched the men's medal ceremony they made an announcement about Yuzi but I could not understand it.

Guess this is old news now, but the announcement at the medal ceremony was simply that Yuzuru couldn't attend because he was in hospital, but that we wish him well for a speedy recovery. At the time there was no further information about his or Yan's condition available to report.

ayarose

On the Ice
Thanks ayarose!

I forgot about the cranium and cerebral part. Cranium is more of skull/head while cerebral is more of brain. We tend to use cerebral because we must rule out an injury to the brain before labeling it as a simple head contusion.

purpledream

On the Ice
Glad that everything turned out alright for the both of them! The ice can be a scary place and sometimes it is so hard when they travel so fast! But I guess hoorah for good news and hope they recover and rest well before their next assignment

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Here is a commentary-free video of Yuzuru's performance, as well as of him & Brian in the K&C. I've transcribed it as best as I can hear, please correct any mistakes or fill in any blanks if possible.

If you're going to criticize anything Brian has said (for example, about him telling Yuzuru he can be 'proud' of skating or not openly chastising him) then please do it HERE where I have posted the same thing. Thanks in advance. :)

Here is a commentary-free video of Yuzuru's performance, as well as of him & Brian in the K&C. I've transcribed it as best as I can hear, please correct any mistakes, or fill in any blanks if possible. :)

8:10-
B: No media, go right to the ER.
Y: Okay.
B: Medical room ok? And we'll probably get you to see a doctor, yeah? We gotta make sure you're okay.
Yuzu plays with his pooh tissue box, a fangirl screams like CRAZY and Brian says "wow."

9:00-
Y: Ok. I'm done. With this. I don't go to final/I don't make it to final/I don't even want to know.
Yuzu laughs, Brian sort of hangs his head.
B: Well you never know actually. You never know. We have to make- we have to get you healthy first, ok? You're gonna feel it tomorrow. No exhibition.

9:35-
The scores are about to show.
B: This doesn't matter, ok? The main thing is that you went out and skated. Alright? That's amazing. That's what you need to be most proud of.
The scores show.
B: Wow.
Y: What happened?
B: I don't know.

eta: Thanks to Vanshilar & Sherkane for filling in the blanks :)

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Thanks for all the updates. Good to know they are all doing well, I think the sight of blood on ice shook everyone up and the fact it is between Hanyu and HanYan made the story even bigger.

The thing is this has happened before at Cup of China 2012 with Nan Song and Adam Rippon had a bad clash during warm up. Nan Song fainted even and had to withdraw from the event, and I seem to recall reading somewhere he suffered a short memory loss right after. It may be in less dramatic fashion than this here, no blood, bandages and luckily nothing drastic came out of it, but it does raise an important matter of safety for the skaters. Need to warm up with greater care. I recall Hanyu had similar incident with Patrick at the Sochi Gala. His blade accidentally nicked Patrick's abdomen/chest pretty bad, it was an accident obviously, but if that happened before the competition, gosh... the consequence is dire.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Just got home. I've read the reports and although I'm not that proficient in Japanese, I can at least breath a little easier now.

From the official press release, his injury is listed as [頭部挫創、下顎挫創、腹部挫傷、左大腿挫傷、右足関節捻挫], which I would translate in my mind as: head contusion, contusion on the lower chin, abdominal contusion, left thigh contusion and his ever present buddy R ankle sprain.

As I've said, contusion means bruising. I would rather have a patient with a contusion because it meant I'm more aware of what to expect, whereas concussion is more of a minute injuries whose extent I can't immediately assess. However, like all injuries there's a severity scale and risk stratification. One's prognosis depends on that severity thus patients' particularly suffering from intermediate to severe head injury are closely monitored and those with minor head injury are given head trauma precautions. They are both dangerous thus head injury shouldn't be taken lightly until at least a neuroimaging scan clears them.

Now let's move on to Yuzu's report, which is now our most important source of information. I would rather think that the bruising was a combination of the force received by those area and the natural reaction of the body to the injury. Base on the press reports, the scans were clear (I guess this means CT/MRI plus a probable ultrasound for blood/free fluids in the abdomen which is often done in blunt injury to detect internal bleeding) and the kanji used was 頭 (head) rather than 脳 (brain) so I can say that rules out brain injury. Correct me if I'm wrong for those who are more proficient in kanji reading, I hope I'm not blinded with optimism for Yuzuru. I chosed to believed this report because nothing can be gain if JSF tries to withheld the info thus I'll pray more for Yuzu's health, believe his words and his family/team and just simply hope. The prognosis seems good.

Thanks ayarose for sharing with us your medical expertise. Will follow you in praying for Yuzuru, believing in him and in his team, and hoping for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.