Han Yan & Yuzuru Hanyu health updates | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Han Yan & Yuzuru Hanyu health updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Thanks for all the updates. Good to know they are all doing well, I think the sight of blood on ice shook everyone up and the fact it is between Hanyu and HanYan made the story even bigger.
The thing is this has happened before at Cup of China 2012 with Nan Song and Adam Rippon had a bad clash during warm up. Nan Song fainted even and had to withdraw from the event, and I seem to recall reading somewhere he suffered a short memory loss right after. It may be in less dramatic fashion than this here, no blood, bandages and luckily nothing drastic came out of it, but it does raise an important matter of safety for the skaters. Need to warm up with greater care. I recall Hanyu had similar incident with Patrick at the Sochi Gala. His blade accidentally nicked Patrick's abdomen/chest pretty bad, it was an accident obviously, but if that happened before the competition, gosh... the consequence is dire.
Too many skaters in the rink at the same time. I guess. There should be some protocol to prevent this ever again.

Matilda

Medalist
Good to hear that Yuzu's injuries don't seem to be as serious as most of us were afraid of.

I hope we get mofre news about Yan Han later today as well.

glam

On the Ice
My friend in Japan told me, they estimated that Yuzuru and Han Yan collided into each other with the speed of 60km/h = 37.28 MPH (because they skated from the opposite direction). :slink:
That's a miracle they both stood up after that. :bow: Then skated... :bang:

25km/h is the max speed that men have when they are doing quads.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Not convinced they were both travelling at "max speed" at point of impact - in slow motion, Hanyu appeared to react almost instantly when he saw Yan Han - he immediately dug the edge of his skate into the ice to decellerate, so I think he was moving much slower than Yan Han when they collided.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Not convinced they were both travelling at max speed at point of impact - in slow motion, Hanyu appeared to react almost instantly when he saw Yan Han - he dug the edge of his skate into the ice to decellerate, so I think he was moving much slower than Yan han when they collided.
Aside from PChan and Max Aaron, these 2 have the best speed on the field so I am not surprised, though. :think: Maybe 20km/h for Han Yan?

ayarose

On the Ice
Not convinced they were both travelling at "max speed" at point of impact - in slow motion, Hanyu appeared to react almost instantly when he saw Yan Han - he immediately dug the edge of his skate into the ice to decellerate, so I think he was moving much slower than Yan Han when they collided.

Yes, he did. He tried to protect himself knowing collision is imminent. It would have been more disastrous if it was a high velocity impact.

BTW, I forgot to add (i'm really getting old!) Hematoma are not contusions. Hematoma means a collection of blood but contusion can have hematoma together with muscle tears and the like. I'm imagining Yuzu might find it humorous to see himself in various shades of colors in the next couple of days.

peg

Medalist
The thing is this has happened before at Cup of China 2012 with Nan Song and Adam Rippon had a bad clash during warm up. Nan Song fainted even and had to withdraw from the event, and I seem to recall reading somewhere he suffered a short memory loss right after. It may be in less dramatic fashion than this here, no blood, bandages and luckily nothing drastic came out of it, but it does raise an important matter of safety for the skaters.
Nan Song sustained a concussion in that incident.

Icey

Record Breaker
If there was a possibility of a concussion, wasn't flying (itself) back to Japan ill advised?

L

Love Figure Skating

Translation for頭部挫創、下顎挫創、腹部挫傷、左大腿挫傷、右足関節捻挫 ~ :

DIAGNOSIS:
Lacerations* / Abrasions** (挫創):
- Temple region (頭部 = Head, but bleeding was from temple, wasn’t it?)
- Mental region (下顎 = Lower Jaw = Chin)
Hematomas*** / Contusions**** (挫傷):
- Abdomen (腹部)
- Left Thigh (左大腿)
Sprain (捻挫):
- Right Ankle (most likely: 右足 = Right Foot but location unspecified; 関節 = Joint)
PROGNOSIS:
- Between two and three weeks to a full recovery

* Lacerations: Types of wounds that are irregularly torn by some blunt trauma
** Abrasions (grazes): Superficial wounds in which the topmost layer of the epidermis (skin) is scraped off
*** Hematomas (a blood tumour): Damage caused to a blood vessel that in turn causes blood to collect under the skin, in which there is an absence of an open wound
**** Contusions (bruises): Types of Hematomas that originate from an external source of trauma

I cannot find update on Yan Han. Hope he is all right, too.

noskates

Record Breaker
Two things came out of this for me. There should be stricter rules about continuing after an injury - no matter what the skater thinks and whether his coach allows him to skate. I sincerely hope neither of the men has lasting injuries as a result of the collision and then trying to skate. The second is - NO ONE should get a medal who falls FIVE times in a program. I think the ISU should give some serious thought to the penalties for falling. Once or twice, maybe, but FIVE times? That's just sending a message to all skaters that it doesn't matter whether you land your quad - go for it anyway! To me that's a negative message that will denigrate the validity of an already suspect scoring system.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
The second is - NO ONE should get a medal who falls FIVE times in a program. I think the ISU should give some serious thought to the penalties for falling. Once or twice, maybe, but FIVE times? That's just sending a message to all skaters that it doesn't matter whether you land your quad - go for it anyway! To me that's a negative message that will denigrate the validity of an already suspect scoring system.

And this is related to the health issue in what? There is a thread for this subject back in CoC folder.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I wish someone should just move those posts that are not related to skater's health AWAY!!! :bang:

For the time being, we've known that these young men are better and might not have to suffer concussion. But I would like to be updated about their condition until their next competition. So anyone who doesn't care much about their health or want to argue about the score, please go away!!!

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
I wish someone should just move those posts that are not related to skater's health AWAY!!! :bang:

For the time being, we've known that these young men are better and might not have to suffer concussion. But I would like to be updated about their condition until their next competition. So anyone who doesn't care much about their health or want to argue about the score, please go away!!!

ITA Meoima. I bet there are at least 50 posts here that obviously should be in the other thread. I don't know how much clearer I could make it in the OP & others as well as I have mentioned or linked to the other thread in nearly every page of this thread. People still want to talk about it though, which is fine, but the posts should be in the other thread. If they were moved and the users notified(as usually happens when threads get sorted) then maybe they would keep it over in the proper thread. They need to stop cluttering this one up.

noskates

Record Breaker
And this is related to the health issue in what? There is a thread for this subject back in CoC folder.

You know, some of you have taken this on as a personal project. If I have 2 thoughts on the same matter I'm not going to cruise all over the board to post them. This is a 16 page thread so far and many of the posts are simply policing the thread!!! There are subjects everywhere where the lines are crossed. Why is it so important to you?

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
You know, some of you have taken this on as a personal project. If I have 2 thoughts on the same matter I'm not going to cruise all over the board to post them. This is a 16 page thread so far and many of the posts are simply policing the thread!!! There are subjects everywhere where the lines are crossed. Why is it so important to you?

This thread was created because people wanted to know about the health of two skater, regarless of how they performed with out drama and debate about points. At this point I think people like you care more about a medal than the well being of the skater. And that´s whats botters me.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
This thread was created because people wanted to know about the health of two skater, regarless of how they performed with out drama and debate about points. At this point I think people like you care more about a medal than the well being of the skater. And that´s whats botters me.

Part of the reason some of us are upset about the medal is we see it as frankly dangerous to skaters. The precedent has now been set that pain gets you points. That sucks. I don't want others to skate when they should not because "Hanyu still medaled" I don't want other skaters to feel pressured to compete because of this. Some of care about the health of more than just these two skaters.

I also don't like the fact that because they gave him a medal, he is probably more likely to compete in NHK in the hope of making the GPF. I would rather he take time off, rest, recover, heal, get well, than worry about making the GPF. Frankly I think that damn silver is likely to adversely affect the well being of the skater. I don't like that now his health is likely being framed in "can he compete" rather than "get well" I would rather him not have much of a shot at the GPF so he is more likely to not be tempted to push himself. It is not just competing, but training to compete. As weird as it sounds I really do believe that his placement likely is going to be a factor on his decisions and the healing process. I think he would be better off only worrying about nationals. Now, his health has to be weight against "is it worth the risk to make the final?" If he had little to no chance of making the final, that risk would not be worth it. In some ways that stupid silver is a complication to his healing process.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Part of the reason some of us are upset about the medal is we see it as frankly dangerous to skaters. The precedent has now been set that pain gets you points. That sucks. I don't want others to skate when they should not because "Hanyu still medaled" I don't want other skaters to feel pressured to compete because of this. Some of care about the health of more than just these two skaters.

I also don't like the fact that because they gave him a medal, he is probably more likely to compete in NHK in the hope of making the GPF. I would rather he take time off, rest, recover, heal, get well, than worry about making the GPF. Frankly I think that damn silver is likely to adversely affect the well being of the skater. I don't like that now his health is likely being framed in "can he compete" rather than "get well" I would rather him not have much of a shot at the GPF so he is more likely to not be tempted to push himself. It is not just competing, but training to compete. As weird as it sounds I really do believe that his placement likely is going to be a factor on his decisions and the healing process. I think he would be better off only worrying about nationals. Now, his health has to be weight against "is it worth the risk to make the final?" If he had little to no chance of making the final, that risk would not be worth it. In some ways that stupid silver is a complication to his healing process.

The thing the tone and content of your post is totally different than the one than Nonskate is using. Yours at least show concern about the skater while her/his only points out that he shouldn´t get a medal because he fell (and frankly I don´t care and won´t argue about this subject)

Even so, I do think that the fact that he got, and Han Yan didn´t have a medal and prospect of going to GPF should fit better in the CoC folder, or maybe in the fan threads of the skaters. Dedicating this thread about official information about Han and Yuzuru´s health will make it easier for people to access that information with out getting into debates and dramas.

Status
Not open for further replies.