Han Yan & Yuzuru Hanyu health updates | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Han Yan & Yuzuru Hanyu health updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

begin

Medalist
Thank you Meoima :) I hope the thread does not clutter further. Users should be able to find information on their health as quickly & easily as possible. I'm very worried about Han's chest (since he was clutching it so much) & Yuzuru looked like he was about to collapse at any time.

It was a relevant discussion about a rather glaring problem in the ISU. Not "crap", but we'll lay off to keep your thread clean.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
I'm terribly sorry I wasted space on here with my crab. I edited if that makes you feel better.

I'm sorry if I'm being a problem.

No it's okay, sorry if I was harsh. The thread was suggested to be made because people were constantly debating in the original Men's FS thread and it was way too cluttered for anyone to find updates. I just don't want this thread to take the same route :eek:hwell: I removed your quote from my post.

So where do we go to discuss the awful concussion policy? It's really bad. Something should be done about it to prevent this from happening again.

The Men's FS thread since it discusses the entire event, where this thread is specifically only for health updates. I would actually recommend making a new thread entirely.

It was a relevant discussion about a rather glaring problem in the ISU. Not "crap", but we'll lay off to keep your thread clean.

I apologize for calling it crap & ITA it is a necessary, relevant discussion. If you are caught up with the original thread though, you'll have seen that the thread was brought up to be made specifically for health updates though so there would be no clutter & and the original post was pretty clear for what this thread was for.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Someone could start another thread to discuss the event itself since there are so much emotion and lots of opinions about it. Maybe an admin would move most of the posts here to the new thread.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Look, I really don't give a f about the competition. But I stand by saying that the scores were barely justified and even the slightest indication that they were encouraging what happened is sick.

Than maybe get yourself back to the other thread. It's been pointed out pretty clearly that his thread is not to discuss the scores in any matter.

LRK

Record Breaker
satine - Thank you for starting this thread! I haven't watched the men's free - and I haven't watched the vids with the collision - I haven't mustered up the courage to do so. I can only wish both Yuzuru and Han the very best - and eagerly await updates on how they both are doing.

begin

Medalist
I apologize for calling it crap & ITA it is a necessary, relevant discussion. If you are caught up with the original thread though, you'll have seen that the thread was brought up to be made specifically for health updates though so there would be no clutter & and the original post was pretty clear for what this thread was for.

I apologize as well for derailing the thread. Anyway, maybe you won't mind editing your first post with the updates?

Olympic champion Yuzuru Hanyu collided with another skater in the Cup of China free skate warm-up, bled, competed with his head wrapped, fell five times in his performance and finished in second place Saturday.

Hanyu, in his first top-level competition since winning the World Championships in March, and China’s Han Yan collided near center ice at the Shanghai venue while preparing for their free skate.

Hanyu lay on the ice for several seconds, blood streaming down his chin, before two officials with medical uniforms on reached him.

Once off the ice, China’s Han lay motionless while being tended to just behind the boards. Han performed his free skate 45 minutes later and finished sixth.

Hanyu was taken farther off the ice and checked out while sitting down. He returned to warm up and appeared disoriented, pointing to his head multiple times.

Hanyu skated about 50 minutes later, fell five times in his “Phantom of the Opera” performance and finished in second place, just as he was after the short program Friday.

Hanyu had to be held up by coach Brian Orser after he stepped off the ice following his free skate.

“You’ve got to keep breathing, OK?” Orser, a two-time Olympic silver medalist, told him. “Hang onto the boards.”

Russian Maksim Kovtun won with 243.34 points. Hanyu scored 237.55. American Richard Dornbush took third with 226.73.

Hanyu bawled in the kiss and cry area after his score came up, appearing overjoyed.

“You’re going to feel it tomorrow,” Orser told him.

Hanyu was attempting be the third different Japanese man to win in the first three Grand Prix events of the season, a feat never done by any nation.

http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/20...on-cup-of-china-head-bandaged-figure-skating/

LRK

Record Breaker
Thanks, begin!

On the article:
"bawled"?! Couldn't they find a better word?

Ryusa5

Rinkside
I am so disspointed in both coaches for allowing them on ice,but especially on Orses since Hanyu hit the ice full force with his chin,so it definetely affected his brain due to the rapid acceleration
A concussion isn't something to take so lightly even if you lose consience for a short while it's a problem
When I was 13 I hit my head during PE and lost consience for about 20-30 seconds.After that I got up just fine,talked to everyone and even made fun of it.My professor took me home and said that my parents should take me to see a neurologist in the next few days just for precussion,since I looked fine.A fell asleep for 2-3 hours and when I woke up I couldn't remember anything after the fall or how I got home so my parents freacked out and took me to the hospital imediately where they did a CT scan and EEG.I can't remember what they said I had or how to say it in english but it was something about my cerebrospinal fluid.I tool medication for a few months and I also wasn't allowed to do sports for a period of time
The fact that he was allowed to spin so many times and so fast after a concussion it's just mindblowing.It's quite posible that when Yuzu wakes up he won't even remember what happenned,it doesn't matter how much he wanted to compete the adults around him should have stopped him

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
I'm terribly sorry I wasted space on here with my crab. I edited if that makes you feel better.

I'm sorry if I'm being a problem.

Nope. You are right and have nothing to apologize about.

A couple of cm/in lower and it could have been a mortifying skate.

Again... new judges please?

Kovtun deserved to win. But everything else... needs other judges to judge. Ricky's component scores should have been higher. But at least this bronze will treat him as a better international contender than Abbott... if all is right. Please judges. Give him the chance to shine!

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Actually, there was also an incidence between Denis and Machida in SA practice, Denis was spinning, and Machida was dancing and he run into Denis, and it seems that Machida's back was hurt. but they seems both okay afterwards, it was a shocker for the spectator at the time.

I wish both Yuzuru and Yan have a speedy recovery.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Sorry for having my other feelings overtake this thread.

But seriously... love him or not... how many of you would have Hanyu skating after that horrible accident?

Weigh in your thoughts about him, his coaches, judges, referees, etc.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Nope. You are right and have nothing to apologize about.

A couple of cm/in lower and it could have been a mortifying skate.

Again... new judges please?

Kovtun deserved to win. But everything else... needs other judges to judge. Ricky's component scores should have been higher. But at least this bronze will treat him as a better international contender than Abbott... if all is right. Please judges. Give him the chance to shine!

Please debate this here :)?

Sorry for having my other feelings overtake this thread.

But seriously... love him or not... how many of you would have Hanyu skating after that horrible accident?

Weigh in your thoughts about him, his coaches, judges, referees, etc.

I agree with you gravy, I just want there to be a place for people to easily find news. I am really worried about those two, as I'm sure you are too.

daphna

On the Ice
so, at this point in time, do we have any official information about their injuries?

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
so, at this point in time, do we have any official information about their injuries?

No we don't. We have what was seen by people at the event & what was shown on tv, but no reports yet about their medical evaluations after going to the hospital.

Status
Not open for further replies.