Hanyu, Emotions at GPF: Interview | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Hanyu, Emotions at GPF: Interview

sloveniangirl

Match Penalty
I don't think so. The fight of each skater is to go out right after the previous skater has finished and deal with the noise of the crowd and the flowers on the ice. It is worse for others who have to skate after Yuzu -which is why Yuzu requests the crowd to be quiet for the next competitor.

Yuzu was not saying that he was angry at the crowd, but rather that he wanted to gain their attention after Javi's program.

The crowd was wild because Javi had done so well. This is exactly what Yuzu considers the ultimate challenge.
To win after all your competitors have done their best.

They yelled "javi" when Yuzuru´s scores came up too.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
When it´s your turn and people are yelling the name of someone alse (ignoring you), this is very disrespectful. And in my eyes disgusting.
The score for Javi had not been seen yet. The replays were running at the time Yuzu did his 3A. -So it was technically still Javi's time.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker

Did someone who actually was at the arena tell you that? Or were you there to confirm this? Come on, the audience always gets excited with popular skaters. And as Specs said, it's normally worse for the skaters who perform after Yuzu. He had TONS of support there, in case you missed how the audience screamed during the warm up when Yuzu's name was announced.
And the skater's turn starts when his/her name is announced.

sloveniangirl

Match Penalty
Did someone who actually was at the arena tell you that? Or were you there to confirm this? Come on, the audience always gets excited with popular skaters. And as Specs said, it's normally worse for the skaters who perform after Yuzu. He had TONS of support there, in case you missed how the audience screamed during the warm up when Yuzu's name was announced.

You can hear it on You tube videos. It´s distracting:angry1:

oriquey

Final Flight

None of the GS members who were at the event mentioned that bit but I'm curious. Can you provide me with the link of the video you've watched. I didn't hear it in the other vids.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3hx5op_151213-grand-prix-final-y-h-fs_sport

I heard coordinated chants just as he was sitting down after thanking the audience (8:38), and also when he got his head down and started crying (around 9:37). But it definitely doesn't sound like "Javi" to me And if you watch the video that the translations belongs to, you'll hear the testimonies from the Spanish people saying Yuzuru's the best, he got a standing ovation from everyone in there. Javi is their guy, but they also acknowledge great performances like Yuzuru's when they see it. And if something like that had happened, I'm sure the media would have asked him about it or would have said something. Remember when the audience in Sochi was shouting "Russia, Russia" after Yuzuru skated his SP at the team event? He got asked about that.

But perhaps someone who was there could tell us :)

Last edited:

oriquey

Final Flight
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3hx5op_151213-grand-prix-final-y-h-fs_sport

I heard coordinated chants just as he was sitting down after thanking the audience (8:38), and also when he got his head down and started crying (around 9:37). But it definitely doesn't sound like "Javi" to me And if you watch the video that the translations belongs to, you'll hear the testimonies from the Spanish people saying Yuzuru's the best, he got a standing ovation from everyone in there. Javi is their guy, but they also acknowledge great performances like Yuzuru's when they see it.

But perhaps someone who was there could tell us :)

Thanks for providing a link to a video with no commentary. I finally was able to watch and listen to everything without getting distracted by the commentary. Honestly, I didn't hear any "Javi" chanting from the vid.

Last edited:

cruzceleste

Record Breaker

An article from Spain says that at least 2500 of the almost 5000 in attendance was from Japan.

dasani

On the Ice
Thanks for providing a link to a video with no commentary. I finally was able to watch and listen to everything without getting distracted by the commentary. Honestly, I didn't hear any "Javi" chanting from the vid.

The chanting happened before Yuzu started to skate, you can hear it in this video: https: /vimeo.com/148750325

My friend was there in person and she said it was actually very scary at the moment, the fans just went NUTS and they were not only chanting JAVI!! JAVI!! loudly, they were also stomping their feet, so much that the area she was seating in was shaking :laugh:

But I wouldn't say that's disgusting, the locals just got a bit passionate for their skater who skated clean after two clean skates from Patrick and Shoma (who got standing ovation all around as well!) They also stomped their feet when Yuzu came out during the gala performance too. I suppose that's their way of approval!

I actually see this from a positive perspective, I'm so proud of Yuzu to 1) come up with a quick plan to control the crowd chanting with his 3A :laugh2:; 2) be able to hold on to all the pressure after the great skates from the 3 guys and staying calm in such super excited environment. I think this is great training for his mentality for the next Olympics! I'm sure he will take note of this experience and become an even more stronger skater that can handle all kinds of situations.

p.s. not sure if anyone else is seeing the video being embedded in the post, I did a preview and it only showed the linked url, but after I hit posted now i can see the video being embedded instead of the usual URL link. Anyhow if the linkage violates the forum rule mods please feel free to remove it, the link is here: https:/ /vimeo.com/148750325 (I put a space between after https:/ so the video won't be embedded again)

Last edited by a moderator:

oriquey

Final Flight
The chanting happened before Yuzu started to skate, you can hear it in this video:

My friend was there in person and she said it was actually very scary at the moment, the fans just went NUTS and they were not only chanting JAVI!! JAVI!! loudly, they were also stomping their feet, so much that the area she was seating in was shaking :laugh:

But I wouldn't say that's disgusting, the locals just got a bit passionate for their skater who skated clean after two clean skates from Patrick and Shoma (who got standing ovation all around as well!) They also stomped their feet when Yuzu came out during the gala performance too. I suppose that's their way of approval!

I actually see this from a positive perspective, I'm so proud of Yuzu to 1) come up with a quick plan to control the crowd chanting with his 3A :laugh2:; 2) be able to hold on to all the pressure after the great skates from the 3 guys and staying calm in such super excited environment. I think this is great training for his mentality for the next Olympics! I'm sure he will take note of this experience and become an even more stronger skater that can handle all kinds of situations.

p.s. not sure if anyone else is seeing the video being embedded in the post, I did a preview and it only showed the linked url. Anyhow if the linkage violates the forum rule mods please feel free to remove it, the link is here: https:/ /vimeo.com/148750325 (I put a space between after https:/ so the video won't be embedded again)

Thanks, Dasani. I can definitely see the embedded video in your post. As for the chanting, I heard the chanting for Javi before Yuzu started skating, but I was listening for it after Yuzu received his scores as sloveniangirl had commented. Judging from the videos I have seen, the crowd has been supportive of all the skaters and are appreciative of their programmes.

Last edited by a moderator:

dasani

On the Ice
Thanks, Dasani. I can definitely see the embedded video in your post. As for the chanting, I heard the chanting for Javi before Yuzu started skating, but I was listening for it after Yuzu received his scores as sloveniangirl had commented.

Oh I do apologize! I've totally missed the discussion point here and went on rambling :drama:
Nah, just checked again with the same friend who was there....the fans were all so crazy for Yuzu after he skated!!! She didn't hear any Javi chant at that point :laugh: and if such chant even exist at that moment I bet I'll be 120% covered by the loud cheers from the Yuzu fans hahaha.

oriquey

Final Flight
Oh I do apologize! I've totally missed the discussion point here and went on rambling :drama:
Nah, just checked again with the same friend who was there....the fans were all so crazy for Yuzu after he skated!!! She didn't hear any Javi chant at that point :laugh: and if such chant even exist at that moment I bet I'll be 120% covered by the loud cheers from the Yuzu fans hahaha.

No worries. I'm glad the crowd in Barcelona was great. And I do agree that if there were ppl chanting for Javi when Yuzu's scores were announced, they would have been drowned out :)

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
p.s. not sure if anyone else is seeing the video being embedded in the post, I did a preview and it only showed the linked url, but after I hit posted now i can see the video being embedded instead of the usual URL link. Anyhow if the linkage violates the forum rule mods please feel free to remove it, the link is here: https:/ /vimeo.com/148750325 (I put a space between after https:/ so the video won't be embedded again)

yes, it happened before to me too, its some software issue that gs8 said they are working on, so no worries about violating anything ;)

Rissa

Record Breaker
When it´s your turn and people are yelling the name of someone alse (ignoring you), this is very disrespectful. And in my eyes disgusting.

Oh will you stop?

I was there, nobody behaved disrepectfully or disgusting. Before Javi's scores people were chanting "Javi", yes, and stomping their feet and hey, their homeboy skated brilliantly, I chanted "Javi" myself. Yes, there was an outburst of ovation when the scored came up because heck, Javi broke 200, I was standing up myself. It was all when Yuzu was still warming up, before he was annouced. When he took the ice people clapped for Yuzu and shouted for him to do well, and even if there were a few leftover shouts of excitement for Javi that I missed, so what? People had reason to be happy for Javi and once Yuzu started preparing for the skate, everybody concentrated on Yuzu. There was no "dsirespectful" behavior that I could notice.

Lol, that's not true. When Yuzu's scores came up everybody was beside themselves for Yuzu. Really, there was no "Javi" shouting that I could notice. Heck the entire arena stayed put to listen to the interview with Yuzu.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Yep, absolutely nothing disrespectful about it.

As for "Javi!" chants after Yuzu's skate - uh uh, where I was sitting, it were "Yuzu! Yuzu!" chants! And I think a good number of Spaniards were among those.

Javi got a little bit of extra love compared to most, okay, but the crowd was so supportive of everyone. And nobody complained at all that Yuzu won, everyone was ecstatic for him. It was an amazing crowd!

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Yep, absolutely nothing disrespectful about it.

As for "Javi!" chants after Yuzu's skate - uh uh, where I was sitting, it were "Yuzu! Yuzu!" chants! And I think a good number of Spaniards were among those.

Javi got a little bit of extra love compared to most, okay, but the crowd was so supportive of everyone. And nobody complained at all that Yuzu won, everyone was ecstatic for him. It was an amazing crowd!

I thought I heard "Yuzu, Yuzu", when I watched the video. But I didn't know if my ears were deceiving me, good thing they weren't :biggrin: Thank you for sharing :)