Hanyu, Emotions at GPF: Interview | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Hanyu, Emotions at GPF: Interview

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
If I would be in his place, I would have felt sad for Javier not to win in his homeland and, if I would win, I would unhappy that I won...

That's such an odd statement lol....this is a competitive sport. Sure you can have mixed feelings about winning something, but unhappy? For athletes, if you're not in it to win it (at least have the spirit to win) why are you here? :scratch2:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Thank you - I love love love the 3A story!
You're welcome!
There are so many interviews around with skaters in Japan but they are mostly what you'd expect for athletes to say. I train hard, I concentrate on myself, I try to do my best. All true things. But I translate the interviews in which the atheletes say something surprising or uncommon. Like Boyang's Canon interview, and Yuzu's interviews with Shuzo.

Khoai

Match Penalty
My lord, Hanyu is SCARILY competitive. He might be the most competitive figure skater ever. Imagine what he would achieve if he hadn't chosen figure skating.
I can't image either. I can't image going out to the ice with immense pressure right after someone who has just scored over 200 with people screaming your's rival name as if they have won. If it were any other skater, they might have dropped dead on the ice. I still could not understand how Mr. Hanyu overcame THAT pressure.

Look at how badly Mr. Murakami skated right after a great performance of Mr. Chan or how badly Miss Gold did after a great performance of Miss Wagner.

To me, Mr. Hanyu has become such the greatest competitor ever in Figure Skating. I don't call him greatest of all time because that depends on people's taste. But the pressure he overcame at GPF Barcelona is something beyond my imagination. He was not such strong competitor when he was younger, he has just become one. And watching his improvement is, my gosh, so thrilling.

He did not just go out there and did enough to win the best from Mr. Fernandez. He went out there when people expect him to make mistake, frankly I did so too. I thought he would make one or two step outs and won overall thanked to the gap in short program. But his performance slapped me in the face like: DARE YOU UNDERESTIMATE ME!

He went out there and WON OVER HIS OWN SHADOW.

Last edited:

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Well, I also think Hanyu thrives on competition and pressure. He eats it as a side of breakfast. He gets an adrenaline rush whenever one of his main competitors skates well and he has to skate after.

Khoai

Match Penalty
Well, I also think Hanyu thrives on competition and pressure. He eats it as a side of breakfast. He gets an adrenaline rush whenever one of his main competitors skates well and he has to skate after.
I agree to that. He is like: "You did your best? But I am better. Let me show you."

yuzuplease

Rinkside
Thanks for the translation! His interviews with Matsuoka are my favorite. There is a casual atmosphere and his raw thoughts and emotions come out. I must say that I also love it when he throws some curses here and there :laugh:

ElenaClaire

On the Ice
^ thanks for the 3A footage!

Thanks a lot for this!
The Pooh part cracks me up :laugh: he really cares that much about Pooh his compatriot.. even making the interviewer puzzled :laugh:
I almost feel bad for him (not in a negative way) knowing how much pressure he puts to himself, and knowing the expectation from the outside world, and then to manage to put out such performances back to back must've been overwhelming yet relieving for him. He himself seemed a little taken aback that he's actually crying but I bet it felt good that it all came out together that well.

I think he really is an incredible person. He's really strong and his continuous desire to improve and perfect himself is admirable. I'm lucky, we're lucky that we live in this era that we're able to see Yuzuru breaks records and just, graces us with his ability and skill to be able to perform such masterpiece in its top level. Let's hope that he'll stay healthy and will be able to bring many more great performances to us. :agree:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
L'kitsu understood Yuzu perfectly. :laugh2:

I'd say everyone in that arena understood him perfectly :laugh: it's actually scary how much command he has on the ice when he wants it.

And that interview makes me so emotional again. I nearly teared up after his LP when I saw Yuzu in tears, Brian holding back tears, you could see how much pressure he had. And just as scary is that I think he said the truth in that interview with Sara, he really doesn't know himself where he is getting this confidence from. It's just like he puts a switch on in that second and bam!. I just hope he stays healthy. I don't think he'd just put out clean after clean after clean competition for a whole season, but I think if he stays healthy, we'll see him getting 300+ quite "regularly", with only minor mistakes.

Thank you so much for the translation Specs! :)

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
thank you once again for the translation Specs!! :thank:
but i want to comment on sth else before talking about interview, what do tv stations with those real size (and giant) models of Yuzuru? i hope they arent wasting them by throwig away or burning or sth, and if they are throwing them away i hpoe they are not cutting them into :biggrin:

now, 1st of all i loveeeeeeeee interviews with Matsuoka! he is so cool, his face is so funny when Yuzuru was talking about Pooh-san haha, he must be thinking "how can a person sound so mature yet so childlike at the same time?" :laugh:
i love the "3A" story and Yuzuru's way of telling, his face is everything, but seriously i wish he wouldnt feel this much pressure to best himself everytime but i guess thats one of the reasons we love him and one of the reasons how he is taking this sport to another level, and this is all learning experience for him, how to handle different kind of pressures, future is looking brighter and brighter with his every perofrmance (even though he probably wont skate clean everytime):love:

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
It's crazy how hard that quote is hitting me.

That's the problem, isn't it? How can you expect perfection from one person? It's crazy and yet it's what people, even despite themselves, expect (especially after GPF). People were expecting to be disappointed in GPF and that's never what you want. Yet, how can you hit perfect performances every time?

I want to see this 3A!!! Has there really been no footage? : (((

Also did he say Pooh-san? lol Is that common in Japanese honorifics?

jaq, in Japanese the book title "Winnie-the-Pooh" is "Kuma no Pooh-san". So Yuzu, who would have grown up with the character name in Japanese, would probably call him "Pooh-san" out of habit.

sloveniangirl

Match Penalty
:laugh2: Who knows, maybe career path #2? He's really serious about his education as well...I wonder how his grades are holding up now. Can't imagine that he's still an A+ student with the limited time he has. :unsure:

His career #2 is modeling....:eek::

sloveniangirl

Match Penalty
It's crazy how hard that quote is hitting me.

That's the problem, isn't it? How can you expect perfection from one person? It's crazy and yet it's what people, even despite themselves, expect (especially after GPF). People were expecting to be disappointed in GPF and that's never what you want. Yet, how can you hit perfect performances every time?

I want to see this 3A!!! Has there really been no footage? : (((

Also did he say Pooh-san? lol Is that common in Japanese honorifics?

I saw it. I think in the You tube clip with japanese commentators

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Thanks for the translation, much appreciated

his mindset is really sooo competitive, I wonder if some people are just born this way or can it be fostered, really I'm just amazed at how he always wants to win, please give me a little bit of fighting spirit for my exams haha...

sloveniangirl

Match Penalty
But it was so obvious how nervous he was before his FS. Or angry, now when i´m reading this interview, it could be anger. I think the crowd´s behaviour was disgusting and disrespectful. :disapp:

Bonesfan

On the Ice
jaq, in Japanese the book title "Winnie-the-Pooh" is "Kuma no Pooh-san". So Yuzu, who would have grown up with the character name in Japanese, would probably call him "Pooh-san" out of habit.

So in other words, Pooh the Bear?

jace93

On the Ice
But it was so obvious how nervous he was before his FS. Or angry, now when i´m reading this interview, it could be anger. I think the crowd´s behaviour was disgusting and disrespectful. :disapp:

What the heck:confused::slink: why are you sayng that the crowd acted disgustingly?

Interspectator

Record Breaker

I don't think so. The fight of each skater is to go out right after the previous skater has finished and deal with the noise of the crowd and the flowers on the ice. It is worse for others who have to skate after Yuzu -which is why Yuzu requests the crowd to be quiet for the next competitor.

Yuzu was not saying that he was angry at the crowd, but rather that he wanted to gain their attention after Javi's program.

The crowd was wild because Javi had done so well. This is exactly what Yuzu considers the ultimate challenge.
To win after all your competitors have done their best.