Has the standard set in junior ladies now overtaken that of the senior ladies? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Has the standard set in junior ladies now overtaken that of the senior ladies?

bekalc

Record Breaker
The judges should give the gold medal to the person that has a 3-3 "in the tank" that she didn't use?

I never said they would give it to her because she left it in the tank, I was pointing out Shiz might have done more with more challengers. Sasha had already imploded and Irina was a mess in practice-Shiz made the decision to go for the clean skate.

You have a strange view of what an athletic competition is about. Should we give the Super Bowl crown to the New England Patriots because we think the New York Giants' quarterback might retire before we want him to?

I never said I agreed with it. But this isn't football skating is a judged sport and reputations play a role. I have a strong suspician that not wanting talent to retire early a la Tara and Oksana is one of the reasons for the age rules. If Julia completely out skates everyone clearly the judges may go with her-but if its close... Its a judged sport-reputations play a role-otherwise we wouldn't have the streak of having at least one world medal, that I've mentioned.

skateflower

Match Penalty
Carolina Kostner 'win' is pathetic based on the jump layout she puts out these days. Can't wait for Jr. skaters to put her away.

jiggs

On the Ice
Carolina Kostner 'win' is pathetic based on the jump layout she puts out these days. Can't wait for Jr. skaters to put her away.

I find your comment pathetic, if that is the word you apparently like to use when talking about Carolina. "Can't wait for Jr. skaters to put her away." ... :disapp:

Maybe there is more to figure skating than jumps? I prefer to watch Carolina far more than any of these small jumping beans. She has amazing basic skating, lovely programs and a mature elegance on ice that non of the Juniors have. She is a pleasure to watch, even if she doesn't do the most difficult jumps. Anyone who knows just a little bit about figure skating should be able to appreciate those other aspects of her skating, whether you like her or not.

Same goes for Alissa who might not have a 3-3 nor the most consistent triple jumps but she is a mature, elegant lady on the ice. Or Akiko, who has a natural presence on the ice and is a joy to watch. I much prefer watching the "older" ladies and hope they stick around longer because they give this sport a lot more than just triple jumps.

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda, it's all a fallacy. The fact is it didn't happen, period, game over, end of story. This said in reply to all the delusional scenarios that actually never took place. :rolleye:

As to the other, I will ditto what jiggs wrote. And add that if one has a problem with Carolina Kostner winning, then take it up with the judges, or take it up with Miki Ando & Yuna Kim. Tell them to come back. Because the reality is that the field is WIDE OPEN now, with the absence of the aforementioned, as well as an off-her-game Mao Asada, whom isn't in top form because of the death of her mother this past December and as a consequence she's lost a lot of weight, hard to sustain her jumps. Jmho.

The ladies, of course, are taking advantage of this, as well they should, and bringing to the table what they have. If it wins or not is totally up to the judges. And gives the artists a chance to shine. :)

mikeko666

Final Flight
I find your comment pathetic, if that is the word you apparently like to use when talking about Carolina. "Can't wait for Jr. skaters to put her away." ... :disapp:

Maybe there is more to figure skating than jumps? I prefer to watch Carolina far more than any of these small jumping beans. She has amazing basic skating, lovely programs and a mature elegance on ice that non of the Juniors have. She is a pleasure to watch, even if she doesn't do the most difficult jumps. Anyone who knows just a little bit about figure skating should be able to appreciate those other aspects of her skating, whether you like her or not.

Same goes for Alissa who might not have a 3-3 nor the most consistent triple jumps but she is a mature, elegant lady on the ice. Or Akiko, who has a natural presence on the ice and is a joy to watch. I much prefer watching the "older" ladies and hope they stick around longer because they give this sport a lot more than just triple jumps.

Suzuki needs a 3+3 and 3Lz as much as young skaters do because she has never been a judges' favorite like Kostner, and can expect little support from her own federation. She said "I wanted to land a 3+3 before I retire." She would rather retire before her jumping contents become pathetic like a gramma's. I personally want her to win the Worlds with 3T+3T and 3Lz in SP and 7 triples in FS, and try 3F+3T next season. She has landed 3F+3T and 3Lz+3T in practices.

Last edited:

johnny 80

Match Penalty

I like Carolina's sp ,her basic skills, ice coverage and speed on ice.. but, Come on!!! pcs=34.12

That's too much.

skateflower

Match Penalty

This is a pathetic excuse by her fans to justify kostner's pathetic jump content. Should we just have a beauty test then? I'm sure Kostner is bumping her heads over the wall for her 'mistake' for the minimum return by trying harder jumps in the past. If she could just use this strategy in the past, she could win world medals over and over instead of bombing over and over.

We are talking about Kostner's 1970ish jump content not simply because she didn't try 3lutz. In her long program these days, she repeats the simplest jumps 3S and 3T twice(her jump layout is 1 3flip, 1 3lo, 2 3s, 2 3t and 2 2a. I'm sure she'd like to repeat those 3S and 3T three times if rules allowed. Yes, not many senior ladies have 5 different triples, but they usually repeat the harder triples such as 3lutz, 3flip or 3lo twice. Kostner is getting away with it because of the miniscule difference between the harder triples and simple triples, point wise.